Beyerdynamic T70P versus DT880 250ohm
Aug 10, 2016 at 5:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

93EXCivic

100+ Head-Fier
I have been able to borrow some T70Ps for a decent amount of time and I have really enjoyed them. They are probably my favorite can I have been able to listen to for an extended time (out of PM3s, Meze 99s, HA-SZ2000, Momentum 2, Master and Dynamic MH40 and B&O H6) but I'd like to get some open cans for home use. How do the DT990 250 ohms compare in terms of sound to the T70P?
Edit: meant DT990 not DT880

Aug 11, 2016 at 12:45 AM Post #2 of 7
I own the T70 (250-Ohm), prefer the T70 sound over both my DT880 and DT990.

I would suggest the Soundmagic HP200, over the DT880/DT990.

Aug 11, 2016 at 1:20 AM Post #3 of 7
  I have been able to borrow some T70Ps for a decent amount of time and I have really enjoyed them. They are probably my favorite can I have been able to listen to for an extended time (out of PM3s, Meze 99s, HA-SZ2000, Momentum 2, Master and Dynamic MH40 and B&O H6) but I'd like to get some open cans for home use. How do the DT990 250 ohms compare in terms of sound to the T70P?
Edit: meant DT990 not DT880

If you like the T70 already I'm much more inclined to just get that. The soundstage isn't automatically better nor more precise just because of open earcups anyway (the ones that are also have angled driver mounts like the HD800/700, or angled pads like the K7-- and some HiFiMans), plus the high sensitivity of the T70 paired with slightly better isolation from ambient noise will mean you not only need less power to make it louder, but you'll also have a lot of reserve power in case the recording needs it since you're not cranking it up far enough (ie why Grados sound great even off a CMOY, ditto the Teslas).

Aug 11, 2016 at 9:05 AM Post #4 of 7
  I own the T70 (250-Ohm), prefer the T70 sound over both my DT880 and DT990.

I would suggest the Soundmagic HP200, over the DT880/DT990.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll look at the HP200.

If you like the T70 already I'm much more inclined to just get that. The soundstage isn't automatically better nor more precise just because of open earcups anyway (the ones that are also have angled driver mounts like the HD800/700, or angled pads like the K7-- and some HiFiMans), plus the high sensitivity of the T70 paired with slightly better isolation from ambient noise will mean you not only need less power to make it louder, but you'll also have a lot of reserve power in case the recording needs it since you're not cranking it up far enough (ie why Grados sound great even off a CMOY, ditto the Teslas).

I understand that soundstage isn't necessarily better. But I have enjoyed the opens that I have tried even if they weren't for extended periods of time (the Grado SR60 is the only one I have borrowed for a while). I am definitely planning on buying a pair of Grado SR80s as well. The other part of it is that I will be buying used and used DT990s are significantly cheaper from what I have seen then the T70.

As far as power, right now I have a Schiit Magni 2 and a Bravo V2 (which I am going to modify) but one of my next upgrades is to build a Bottlehead Crack.

I also was considering AKG K701s instead of the DT990s.

Aug 11, 2016 at 11:46 AM Post #5 of 7

If you like the T70 already I'm much more inclined to just get that. The sound stage isn't automatically better nor more precise just because of open ear cups anyway (the ones that are also have angled driver mounts like the HD800/700, or angled pads like the K7-- and some HiFiMans), plus the high sensitivity of the T70 paired with slightly better isolation from ambient noise will mean you not only need less power to make it louder, but you'll also have a lot of reserve power in case the recording needs it since you're not cranking it up far enough (ie why Grados sound great even off a CMOY, ditto the Teslas).

+1
One of the reasons I bought the T70 was for blocking noise :)

Sep 20, 2016 at 5:37 PM Post #6 of 7
  Thanks for the suggestion. I'll look at the HP200.

I understand that soundstage isn't necessarily better. But I have enjoyed the opens that I have tried even if they weren't for extended periods of time (the Grado SR60 is the only one I have borrowed for a while). I am definitely planning on buying a pair of Grado SR80s as well. The other part of it is that I will be buying used and used DT990s are significantly cheaper from what I have seen then the T70.

As far as power, right now I have a Schiit Magni 2 and a Bravo V2 (which I am going to modify) but one of my next upgrades is to build a Bottlehead Crack.

I also was considering AKG K701s instead of the DT990s.

I own both the AKG K701 and Beyers DT880 Pro 250 ohms, and have just sold the AKG Q701.
I'm currently testing a pair of Beyrs T70 p 32 ohms.
I play all on two rigs : one rig with a Schiit Modi 2 & Magni 2 Uber on Linux-based machine with ALSA output, the other with the Roland Mobile UA-10 on a W7 Pro 64 machine with ASIO output.

1st comment on the AKGs : the Made in China versions either the Q701 and K701 or 702 do not sound as good as the ones made in Austria. For no reason, and that was the reason or which I sold the Q701, I would buy an AKG Made in China. If AKG is the one I want, I'd buy the made in Austria version.

2nd comment on AKG K701 Made in Austria vs. Beyrs DT880 Pro Made in Germany : they sound different, really, I cannot say I prefer one vs. the other. I can keeping switching between them whilst I prefer the AKG if I want more "air" in my ears and the Beyers DT880 Pro if I want a more intimate listening session.

3rd comment : Beyers T70 p 32 ohms vs. Beyers DT 880 Pro 250 ohms. On a smartphone, there is no match, obviously. On sedentary on either the Magni 2 Uber or the Roland Mobile UA-10, they are very close, really very close in terms of definition, the 250 ohms offers more "solidity", you hear there is more "foundation" in the music, sensation which is surely related to the differences in the ohms.

One ergonomic issue with the Beyers T70 p for a sedentary use : the 5 ft cable, which is definitively too short.
(However I do not know if this 5 ft cable comes also for the T70 250 ohms version, may be-I hope not.)

Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back