Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro X Anniversary model
May 3, 2024 at 5:22 AM Post #106 of 120
You can get the drivers out very easily with fingers. Just grab here with your nails and pull up. It doesn't take much force.

1714727115665.jpeg

Yesterday I noticed that DT 770 Pro X shares all of its internal parts with DT 700 Pro X, so you can swap the drivers and even use the earpads from DT 700 Pro X.

1714727353480.jpeg

This made me try different configurations to see how they change the sound. Here are some pretty accurate measurements.

Firstly, DT 770 Pro X with DT 700 Pro X earpads. This gives you full, spacious and relaxed sound, but vocals can sound a bit recessed and dull because there is a hole in upper mids. Treble I didn't find too bright anymore, but you could lower it 3-6 dB by using the thicker foam disk from DT 700 Pro X.
1714727478819.png

When you swap the drivers, foams and earpads, you pretty much get DT 700 Pro X, which is very interesting. The internal cup structure between DT 700 Pro X and DT 770 Pro X seems to be almost identical, so no surprises here. Beyerdynamic could have made the headphones identical if it wanted to do so.
1714727715932.png

But with the DT 770 Pro X stock pads the driver from DT 700 Pro X wouldn't sound good. This probably caused the need to change the driver, as otherwise there would be nasty 2,5 kHz peak and even less lower mids.
1714727914349.png

Last edited:
May 3, 2024 at 3:07 PM Post #108 of 120
Something confuses me is this “drawdown” of low mids frequencies
Traditional (old) closed-back designs with a bass port seem to behave like this, but the location and depth of the dip in DT 770 Pro X is not very optimal in stock formation.

May 4, 2024 at 8:22 PM Post #109 of 120
You can get the drivers out very easily with fingers. Just grab here with your nails and pull up. It doesn't take much force.

1714727115665.jpeg

Yesterday I noticed that DT 770 Pro X shares all of its internal parts with DT 700 Pro X, so you can swap the drivers and even use the earpads from DT 700 Pro X.

1714727353480.jpeg

This made me try different configurations to see how they change the sound. Here are some pretty accurate measurements.

Firstly, DT 770 Pro X with DT 700 Pro X earpads. This gives you full, spacious and relaxed sound, but vocals can sound a bit recessed and dull because there is a hole in upper mids. Treble I didn't find too bright anymore, but you could lower it 3-6 dB by using the thicker foam disk from DT 700 Pro X.
1714727478819.png

When you swap the drivers, foams and earpads, you pretty much get DT 700 Pro X, which is very interesting. The internal cup structure between DT 700 Pro X and DT 770 Pro X seems to be almost identical, so no surprises here. Beyerdynamic could have made the headphones identical if it wanted to do so.
1714727715932.png

But with the DT 770 Pro X stock pads the driver from DT 700 Pro X wouldn't sound good. This probably caused the need to change the driver, as otherwise there would be nasty 2,5 kHz peak and even less lower mids.
1714727914349.png
I currently have the 900 pro x and the 770 pro x in my possession, but one will be going back. Trying not to disturb the wife as she hates my k702's because of how much they leak, so I tried the 900 pro x since rtings rates their leakage as lowest in the open back category. Well to my dismay they leak a lot, and actually worse than my 990 pro's which according to rtings are supposed to leak a lot more.

Anyway this brings me to my question to you. I love love love the pads on the 900 pro x. Since I have the 770 pro x and really like them and will be keeping them due to the minimal leakage, how do you swap the pads to the 700 pro x? Do you have to change the drivers as well for this to work? Also is it even worth it or should I just send the 770 back and get a 700 since your measurements pretty much show them the same?

May 5, 2024 at 1:10 AM Post #110 of 120
Got my replacement unit in a couple days ago, definitely doesn’t have the problem the first pair did. Not sure how the first one got its driver damage if it was problems during the shipment process or a QC issue. Still very happy with these headphones and the DT 900 Pro X as well which has pretty much ruined my other more neutrally tuned headphones for me; HD 600, 650, 660S, 660S2, and the R70x.

I truly do prefer Beyer to other brands, something just sounds right about them to my ears. When I first started this hobby I gravitated towards Beyer and AKG the most, seems that hasn’t changed. I do need to try some Austrian Audio headphones and see if they sound like AKG’s successor to my ears. And hopefully find some future brands of headphones that suit my tastes like those did.

May 5, 2024 at 2:42 AM Post #111 of 120
Got my replacement unit in a couple days ago, definitely doesn’t have the problem the first pair did. Not sure how the first one got its driver damage if it was problems during the shipment process or a QC issue. Still very happy with these headphones and the DT 900 Pro X as well which has pretty much ruined my other more neutrally tuned headphones for me; HD 600, 650, 660S, 660S2, and the R70x.

I truly do prefer Beyer to other brands, something just sounds right about them to my ears. When I first started this hobby I gravitated towards Beyer and AKG the most, seems that hasn’t changed. I do need to try some Austrian Audio headphones and see if they sound like AKG’s successor to my ears. And hopefully find some future brands of headphones that suit my tastes like those did.
Interesting. I very much agree about Beyers sounding right. I’ve been debating getting the 900 Pro X. How do they stack up against the 1990s in your opinion?

Last edited:
May 5, 2024 at 5:15 AM Post #112 of 120
I currently have the 900 pro x and the 770 pro x in my possession, but one will be going back. Trying not to disturb the wife as she hates my k702's because of how much they leak, so I tried the 900 pro x since rtings rates their leakage as lowest in the open back category. Well to my dismay they leak a lot, and actually worse than my 990 pro's which according to rtings are supposed to leak a lot more.

Anyway this brings me to my question to you. I love love love the pads on the 900 pro x. Since I have the 770 pro x and really like them and will be keeping them due to the minimal leakage, how do you swap the pads to the 700 pro x? Do you have to change the drivers as well for this to work? Also is it even worth it or should I just send the 770 back and get a 700 since your measurements pretty much show them the same?
the 700 have slightly different pads compared to the 900, those on the 700 are even softer and isolate better. If you love the 900 sig my advise would be to get the 700. Compared to the 770 pro x the 700 is more neutral and suffers less from the 8khz peak.

May 5, 2024 at 5:26 AM Post #113 of 120

If you liked the old AKG professional models, Austrian Audio is well worth a try. They do show the heritage of the development team.

May 5, 2024 at 9:51 AM Post #114 of 120
Interesting. I’ve been debating getting the 900 Pro X. How do they stack up against the 1990s in your opinion?
It's been many years since I've owned the DT 1990, always find them a tad too much in the treble for me, I find the DT 900 Pro X more neutral in the treble and a tad warmer sounding. As for technical ability between the two can't say as I never had the chance to compare them.

May 5, 2024 at 10:01 AM Post #115 of 120
It's been many years since I've owned the DT 1990, always find them a tad too much in the treble for me, I find the DT 900 Pro X more neutral in the treble and a tad warmer sounding. As for technical ability between the two can't say as I never had the chance to compare them.

For me DT1990 (mostly with analytic pads) at most music I have no problem with treble, sometime I use 31 band EQ (from Apples macOS sound) -2dB at 8kHz - or the hardware filter modelled with paramatric EQ from solderdude
https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/measurements/brands-a-i/dt-1990-pro/

May 5, 2024 at 10:04 AM Post #116 of 120
For me DT1990 (mostly with analytic pads) at most music I have no problem with treble, sometime I use 31 band EQ (from Apples macOS sound) -2dB at 8kHz - or the hardware filter modelled with paramatric EQ from solderdude
https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/measurements/brands-a-i/dt-1990-pro/
I do need to listen to the DT 1990 again when I'm able to, my current system is notably more pleasant in the treble than the system I was using back when I had the DT 1990 so it's possible the treble wont bother me much now.

May 5, 2024 at 10:19 AM Post #117 of 120
With the DT1990 it depends very much on the piece of music whether highs (peak ~8kHz) interfere. These disturbing passages are also audible with other headphones (K712, K812, Composer, Hi X65), although not as intense. This is therefore also related to the mix.
JRriver Mediacenter comes with an graphic real time (FFT) analyser, so I can see the frequency distribution very well.

May 5, 2024 at 3:03 PM Post #118 of 120

Adding the new pads to DT 770 Pro X is a nice mod, but with the same money you could get the DT 700 Pro X, which sounds more balanced. For identical results you would need the drivers from DT 700 Pro X as well, which is impossible and not worth it.

However, as you already have DT 900 Pro X in hand, you could try those pads with DT 770 Pro X. They can be installed the same way to both headphones. Just pull them off and press down to attach. There is a small notch in the attachment ring where you should place the similar counterpart found behind the pad. The sound will change a lot compared to the stock pads, but might not be perfect yet.

DT 700 Pro X vs. DT 770 Pro X (with DT 700 Pro X Pads but stock foam):
1000013481.png

You can see DT 700 Pro X still being more neutral and balanced, as DT 770 Pro X is missing a lot of upper mids.

Last edited:
May 5, 2024 at 3:34 PM Post #119 of 120
Adding the new pads to DT 770 Pro X is a nice mod, but with the same money you could get the DT 700 Pro X, which sounds more balanced. For identical results you would need the drivers from DT 700 Pro X as well, which is impossible and not worth it.

However, as you already have DT 900 Pro X in hand, you could try those pads with DT 770 Pro X. They can be installed the same way to both headphones. Just pull them off and press down to attach. There is a small notch in the attachment ring where you should place the similar counterpart found behind the pad. The sound will change a lot compared to the stock pads, but might not be perfect yet.

DT 700 Pro X vs. DT 770 Pro X (with DT 700 Pro X Pads but stock foam):

You can see DT 700 Pro X still being more neutral and balanced, as DT 770 Pro X is missing a lot of upper mids.
The DT 900 Pro X drivers are the same as the DT 700 Pro X. You can buy the DT 700/900 Pro X drivers, they are $65 each and you need two plus the DT 700 pads which is like $40. So quite expensive there at around $170, at that point just smarter to get the DT 700 Pro X headphone.

https://consolidated-sound-services.myshopify.com/products/48ohm-system-prox

May 5, 2024 at 4:03 PM Post #120 of 120
The DT 900 Pro X drivers are the same as the DT 700 Pro X. You can buy the DT 700/900 Pro X drivers, they are $65 each and you need two plus the DT 700 pads which is like $40. So quite expensive there at around $170, at that point just smarter to get the DT 700 Pro X headphone.

https://consolidated-sound-services.myshopify.com/products/48ohm-system-prox
Only thing is… the DT770 cups look better to me :wink: I also like the design of the headband better than the DT700 version.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back