Best wireless portable headphones/earbuds without ANC (or toggleable with no loss to audio quality)
Dec 18, 2023 at 10:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

AiBL

New Head-Fier
ANC gives me nausea. I think it’s related to my motion sickness which is rly bad. I had the Sony WH-1000XM3 and when you turned ANC off it was just terrible sound quality but with it on I’d want to vom in like 5 mins. Bose QuietComfort also made me sick.

From the Sony experience I assumed that a lot of ANC offerings just sound bad with ANC off and rely on DSP when ANC is on to make things sound good. But it seems that this problem is brand-specific with some brands really relying on DSP and others with ANC off and on being basically the same, or ANC off even sounding better. So I'd like to hear from people who have owned and used these products.

I’ve been using the ATH M50X which is fine but the sound is lacking clarity for me and both the low and high end are a bit weak. I also have ATH sport5tw for when the m50x feel too big and bulky but they’re really just mid. Best sound I’ve heard from headphones are probably Hifiman HE400. I also liked AKG Q701. I do wish they had a bit more bass response tho.

I mostly listen to electronic music of all kinds. House, techno, hardcore, IDM, ambient, jungle. Outside of electronic, I like grime, drill, classical, disco, funk, prog/post/math rock and jazz.

I don’t care about open/closed, but good calling/mic functionality would be a huge plus.

Price range - I prefer cheaper but would go up to 500USD maybe. But idk how much the higher part of that range would be helpful bc I just stream from Spotify n stuff on my iPhone.

Thanks for any tips!

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2023 at 2:28 AM Post #2 of 4
Did some research, hopefully this info is useful to someone and I will update this post over time as I find more. Would still love to hear others' thoughts

TWS Earbuds without ANC
  • Astell & Kern AK UW100MKII
  • FiiO FW series
  • Hifiman TWS series
  • Lypertek Pureplay Z3 V2, Z7
  • Geekfly GF8s
  • Noble Audio Fokus series
TWS Earbuds with ANC but might be OK

Alternatively, use something like a FiiO UTWS or KZ AZ20 and supply my own IEM.

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2023 at 2:46 PM Post #3 of 4
ANC gives me nausea. I think it’s related to my motion sickness which is rly bad. I had the Sony WH-1000XM3 and when you turned ANC off it was just terrible sound quality but with it on I’d want to vom in like 5 mins. Bose QuietComfort also made me sick.

From the Sony experience I assumed that a lot of ANC offerings just sound bad with ANC off and rely on DSP when ANC is on to make things sound good. But it seems that this problem is brand-specific with some brands really relying on DSP and others with ANC off and on being basically the same, or ANC off even sounding better. So I'd like to hear from people who have owned and used these products.

I’ve been using the ATH M50X which is fine but the sound is lacking clarity for me and both the low and high end are a bit weak. I also have ATH sport5tw for when the m50x feel too big and bulky but they’re really just mid. Best sound I’ve heard from headphones are probably Hifiman HE400. I also liked AKG Q701. I do wish they had a bit more bass response tho.

I mostly listen to electronic music of all kinds. House, techno, hardcore, IDM, ambient, jungle. Outside of electronic, I like grime, drill, classical, disco, funk, prog/post/math rock and jazz.

I don’t care about open/closed, but good calling/mic functionality would be a huge plus when is open enrollment for health insurance 2024.

Price range - I prefer cheaper but would go up to 500USD maybe. But idk how much the higher part of that range would be helpful bc I just stream from Spotify n stuff on my iPhone.

Thanks for any tips!
Hey, I’m looking to get a pair of wireless ear buds for working out. currently using 64audio u12ts when working out, but some members got me thinking it would make more sense just to use wireless ear buds to avoid the wire when working out. Anyone have any suggestions? Not price limited. Harman neutral with bass boost preferred. I’m an iPhone user so considering the AirPods Pro 2s, not sure on sound signature though. Also looking at the AKG N400. Thanks in advance!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back