Best soundstage on a budget ?
Jan 9, 2023 at 11:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

jazzzy

100+ Head-Fier
I want to experiment with listening and recording binaurals so looking for IEMs with best soundstage.
I know source plays important part and right now I am using TempoTec V6.

Jan 11, 2023 at 9:57 PM Post #2 of 7
The Venture Electronics VE Monk will surprise you how big the soundstage is on those for $10 with shipping on Amazon. They fit on the ear and if you can get a good fit without the foam (it comes with a bunch) tips it's even better. I've played Destiny 2 on those just for kicks, I keep a pair in the car since my phone has an FM tuner and needs wired to use as an antenna. They really sound like $100+ ear buds.

Jan 11, 2023 at 10:17 PM Post #3 of 7
I want to experiment with listening and recording binaurals so looking for IEMs with best soundstage.
I know source plays important part and right now I am using TempoTec V6.

A cheap option is the Final E500, retails around $20 USD or so, comes with Final E tips which by themselves retail at $15 USD.

The Final E500 is warm neutral, not that great technically, but has good timbre, very natural sounding. It is a bit meh for normal tracks, but is well suited for binaural recordings, has a nice soundstage and imaging for those binaural tracks.

Jan 13, 2023 at 4:03 AM Post #5 of 7
What do you define as budget, and does if have to be IEMs?

Otherwise, I’d recommend the AKG K702, which are a steal at $125 here.

Great soundstage, great detail, and really open and airy. People have described them as a mini HD 800S at less than one tenth the price.
702s are great. One of my first audiophile headphones.

Jan 13, 2023 at 8:00 AM Post #6 of 7
What do you define as budget, and does if have to be IEMs?

Otherwise, I’d recommend the AKG K702, which are a steal at $125 here.

Great soundstage, great detail, and really open and airy. People have described them as a mini HD 800S at less than one tenth the price.

I will keep an eye on them but these are open ones and I thought for binaurals it is important to have good isolation so you have feeling of being exactly in the place of recording

May 13, 2024 at 8:49 AM Post #7 of 7
I have the AKG K701 which are fine with a large soundstage but they don't have a 4.4mm balance jack in order to run them from my dac.
Ideally I want to listen from a dongle dac due to space where I live and frequent moves from place to place.

As I check K01 has not option for 4.4mm as HD600, so needed mod to work and I do not think I am capable enough to do it.

Are there any headphones with the same level of soundstage that can be driven by a 4.4 dongle? I saw Sundara, HD560 and something Philips. But I'm not sure if they have a 4.4 cable socket or are easily drivable.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back