Best affordable in- ear headphones
Apr 18, 2008 at 2:22 AM Post #16 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tomikans /img/forum/go_quote.gif
one more question if you don't mind.. sorry i kind of stuck between three choices

pk2/3
Re2's
q-jays

Well i'm looking to find something similar to my sr80's while not feeling sorry for my wallet. So in comparison, how do these sound alike from sr80's, and in terms of Sound quality and worth of price.

I was thinking of jumping on the group buy since it might be a lot cheaper that way.

Never hear q-Jays or SR80 before, but in comparison to my MS-1:
PK3 and RE2 both sound very close to the grado's sound. PK3 has slightly more bass volume and forward sounding; RE2 punches harder and more analytica/less colorationl.

Apr 18, 2008 at 2:35 AM Post #17 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Never hear q-Jays or SR80 before, but in comparison to my MS-1:
PK3 and RE2 both sound very close to the grado's sound. PK3 has slightly more bass volume and forward sounding; RE2 punches harder and more analytica/less colorationl.

that's great to hear. well i decided to get and get the re2's since it's cheap right now. hopefully i get my hand on these phones.

Apr 18, 2008 at 6:35 AM Post #18 of 26
I notice a decline in the love for MylarOnes. I wonder why? Even though I own Shure E5C's I still love my XBi's and they cost about 1/8 of the Shures.

Apr 18, 2008 at 9:01 AM Post #19 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Singapura /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I notice a decline in the love for MylarOnes. I wonder why? Even though I own Shure E5C's I still love my XBi's and they cost about 1/8 of the Shures.

Maybe their bad build quality prevents its sound quality.

Apr 18, 2008 at 1:06 PM Post #20 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tomikans /img/forum/go_quote.gif
that's great to hear. well i decided to get and get the re2's since it's cheap right now. hopefully i get my hand on these phones.

Getting one here as well...
wink.gif

Will have to wait for them to be shipped on 26th...

Apr 19, 2008 at 5:15 PM Post #21 of 26
Do I like the cx300s more than the Grados? Hmm. Not exactly, its just that I expected a bigger difference. (though my iriver clix 2 is a bit weedy at 17mw per channel which might be a prob). The grados are certainly better in some respects, but not by a huge amount, and I like the extra bass impact and a certain 'forceful clarity' (which is proabably due to their nature as an in ear phone to be fair) of the cx300s. Also the Grados look a bit more gimp than I was anticipating (retro cool.) I just want some phones that are better in all respects for the money!

Anyway, I've thought about all your suggestions. Thanks!

I've heard the altec can be bass shy and I'm not an audiophile- I definitely go for fun/ warmth over neutrality. Also the re2 strike me as being of a similar vein (justified?) there doesnt seem to be much info on them. I suspect I'd be happier with something like the cx95/ denon which seem to have strong yet controlled bass plus real good clarity. Super fi 5 pro look perfect but pricey.
Im certainly not going to get sony ex71! They're rubbish. I like bass, but not to the exclusion of all else. I'm just someone who really likes music but for feeling, rather than.. 'aesthetic appreciation'?? So I'd like clarity etc plus strong bass impact for feeling.

Thus, i think so far, i'd be happiest with 1) superfi 2) cx95 3) denon. re2 i dont know about as there's no info and im dubious about trusting a single review, but then again they sound like they would be more of an upgrade than the denon/ cx95 if they were good on bass..

Oh and Im from the uk unfortunately. I've seen the altec and re2 for around £40, the superfi for £90 ish and the denons/ cx 95 i cant find a good deal on, so rrp price (£70/ £60) at the mo.

What are your thoughts after reading this? All welcome. How are the re2 on bass compared to cx95/ denon/ cx300?

Apr 19, 2008 at 5:31 PM Post #22 of 26
I say go with the Denon.

Apr 20, 2008 at 12:58 AM Post #24 of 26
ATH-CK7s. Usually overlooked around here, they're great IEMs for the price. Be sure to take a look at Asr's review.

Apr 20, 2008 at 2:15 AM Post #25 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by siresmith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do I like the cx300s more than the Grados? Hmm. Not exactly, its just that I expected a bigger difference. (though my iriver clix 2 is a bit weedy at 17mw per channel which might be a prob). The grados are certainly better in some respects, but not by a huge amount, and I like the extra bass impact and a certain 'forceful clarity' (which is proabably due to their nature as an in ear phone to be fair) of the cx300s. Also the Grados look a bit more gimp than I was anticipating (retro cool.) I just want some phones that are better in all respects for the money!

Anyway, I've thought about all your suggestions. Thanks!

I've heard the altec can be bass shy and I'm not an audiophile- I definitely go for fun/ warmth over neutrality. Also the re2 strike me as being of a similar vein (justified?) there doesnt seem to be much info on them. I suspect I'd be happier with something like the cx95/ denon which seem to have strong yet controlled bass plus real good clarity. Super fi 5 pro look perfect but pricey.
Im certainly not going to get sony ex71! They're rubbish. I like bass, but not to the exclusion of all else. I'm just someone who really likes music but for feeling, rather than.. 'aesthetic appreciation'?? So I'd like clarity etc plus strong bass impact for feeling.

Thus, i think so far, i'd be happiest with 1) superfi 2) cx95 3) denon. re2 i dont know about as there's no info and im dubious about trusting a single review, but then again they sound like they would be more of an upgrade than the denon/ cx95 if they were good on bass..

Oh and Im from the uk unfortunately. I've seen the altec and re2 for around £40, the superfi for £90 ish and the denons/ cx 95 i cant find a good deal on, so rrp price (£70/ £60) at the mo.

What are your thoughts after reading this? All welcome. How are the re2 on bass compared to cx95/ denon/ cx300?

The RE2 bass is less upfront than with the denons, but it's still there (not thin, like the 716s) even without an amp. I just feel the RE2 sound is tighter, more balanced/refined when compared to the 551s. As I've noted in other posts, I own and like them both, but if I had to keep one, I'd keep the RE2s. From a fit/comfort POV, the RE2s also are lighter because they are not metal, and that lightness makes them less cumbersome to me. If you get the Denons, get a shirt clip for them, or wear them over the ear. I use Comply T400 foamies with both phones, not the silicone tips that come with them. Very comfortable tips for my ears.

Apr 20, 2008 at 1:26 PM Post #26 of 26
Ok, well thanks for your help! Having gone round the houses, to save anyone else in a similar position (i.e. you have the cx300, really like the sound sig, but want a worthwhile upgrade), i'll summarise...from what I gather its one or the other of;

1) RE2/ CK7 for less bass impact/ but prob better elsewhere. (so the re2 is preferable due to cheapness)

2) cx95/denon c551 for more bass impact but still v good elsewhere. i.e. more similar to cx300. (denon more pricey than cx95 but slightly better)

or perhaps Super fi 5 pro for much more money which would be the best....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back