Audio-Gd R-28 impressions thread
May 8, 2024 at 10:28 AM Post #1,711 of 1,722
I emailed Audio gd asking the differences between running Os0 and NOS mode. This is the response I got:

--
"Dear Sir
In R1, set the "N" mode, N1-3 is the same NOS mode, it is a new architecture NOS mode written by the designer of R1, to provide more pure musical sound quality.
When setting the "O" mode, the "0" mode is the traditional NOS mode."
---

Interesting. So I'm interpreting "traditional nos mode" in this case to be no oversampling and no processing of any kind. And it sounds like the "new" NOS architecture maybe does incorporate some type of EQ because it's said to provide "pure musical sound quality" whatever that means.

Last edited:
May 8, 2024 at 12:42 PM Post #1,712 of 1,722
Interesting. So I'm interpreting "traditional nos mode" in this case to be no oversampling and no processing of any kind. And it sounds like the "new" NOS architecture maybe does incorporate some type of EQ because it's said to provide "pure musical sound quality" whatever that means.
Yip, exactly what Fred said, my bad. The 'new' NOS is not NOS by a definition. I think Audio GD should return to the traditional terminology to not confuse users.

While reading diyaudio forum there are designers who fallen in the same trap. Yes, it is a trap, I wrote on the previous page that filtering sans oversampling is wrong. Not effective due to the low band constrains and destroys coherency of harmonics. Kingwa was planning to add more filters, unused option indicate it, but the idea was abandoned during testing.

To not confuse users, NOS option should be renamed to "New NOS" or removed completely and N0 option renamed to NOS.

May 8, 2024 at 12:50 PM Post #1,713 of 1,722
On the topic of oversampling, I'm trying to think of another DAC that lets you adjust the oversampling rate. I assume this is something you would only do on a R2R DAC (doesn't make sense for Delta Sigma). Anyone think of another DAC where oversampling is adjustable? Or is that unique to Audio-GD? Personally, I think it is a really neat feature.
R-1/R-28 NOS models are NOS-only. The previous models had oversampling option. At the moment either get a second-hand 2021/2022 model or make a plan upgrading to R-8/R-27.

May 8, 2024 at 12:55 PM Post #1,714 of 1,722
Yip, exactly what Fred said, my bad. The 'new' NOS is not NOS by a definition. I think Audio GD should return to the traditional terminology to not confuse users.

While reading diyaudio forum there are designers who fallen in the same trap. Yes, it is a trap, I wrote on the previous page that filtering sans oversampling is wrong. Not effective due to the low band constrains and destroys coherency of harmonics. Kingwa was planning to add more filters, unused option indicate it, but the idea was abandoned during testing.

To not confuse users, NOS option should be renamed to "New NOS" or removed completely and N0 option renamed to NOS.
Ah ok, that's why there are multiple options for the NOS mode, I was wondering "why have them if they don't do anything". So that "grittyness" I'm hearing when running in NOS mode is because it's not oversampling but it's applying a filter, and when you have one but not the other, weird things happen to the sound? Os0 mode really sound fantastic to my ears though. I just got the R1 so im still in the honeymoon phase, but it does all of the things I love about the R2R11, but better. Definitely a good upgrade!

May 8, 2024 at 1:13 PM Post #1,715 of 1,722
R-1/R-28 NOS models are NOS-only. The previous models had oversampling option. At the moment either get a second-hand 2021/2022 model or make a plan upgrading to R-8/R-27.
I know. I have a r-28 2022. What I was asking (probably phrased poorly) is if there was another brand of DAC that anyone can think of that lets you select the oversampling rate. I feel like this is a very rare feature.

May 8, 2024 at 1:14 PM Post #1,716 of 1,722
Os0 mode really sound fantastic to my ears though. I just got the R1 so im still in the honeymoon phase, but it does all of the things I love about the R2R11, but better. Definitely a good upgrade!
Yes. But when I was testing R-1 two years ago, I didn't even touch N0 option. What a fool of me!
:deadhorse:

May 8, 2024 at 1:48 PM Post #1,718 of 1,722
I know. I have a r-28 2022. What I was asking (probably phrased poorly) is if there was another brand of DAC that anyone can think of that lets you select the oversampling rate. I feel like this is a very rare feature.
I know there are a good amount of dacs that have NOS vs OS options and different filter options but to my knowledge far less have the option of choosing the oversampling rates. I don’t have a huge collection of dacs though and I haven’t heard a whole lot either. I tend to find what I like and stick to it. I do have a Cayin cd player that does offer different upsampling levels so technically rhe dac within that cd player has the option.

I’m not 100% sure but I would imagine that most dac engineers think that if people want to chose the levels at which they oversample or upsample they would be doing it with software. great way to save money too if you’re producing many many many products. I’m no engineer myself so I definitely reserve the right to be totally wrong about that.

To answer your question or comment I too do feel like the option to up sample or over sample at different degrees is not common in dacs. I feel like the option to chose between NOS and OS is far more common yet still not in all dacs. I had an R27RE as a dac/preamp connected to my speaker amps and I could hear a dramatic difference between the different oversampling levels.

According to a few audio reviewers like Goldenwave true NOS is not easy to achieve, especially with R2R devices so assuming that Audio GD is in fact not only offering different levels of upsampling or oversimplification but also offering true NOS within their R2R dacs that is another point toward why they’re so special.

May 8, 2024 at 2:47 PM Post #1,719 of 1,722
Oh no! Can I ask what is your main dac right now? R2R11 or something else?
Still R2R-11 upgraded DIY with Crystek oscilators, it performs now the best on the USB port. I will get high-speed USB isolator as soon as is possible, it has a further potential. I am not going to get rid of it, even after getting a better one.

My R2R-11 has survived a robbery on a gun point when all my belonging were taken from me and I suffered an injury. It looks professional. Folks even asked what it was, I answered a radio communicator. I am staying on the farm, there is a neighbour watch.
:)

May 8, 2024 at 3:05 PM Post #1,720 of 1,722
Still R2R-11 upgraded DIY with Crystek oscilators, it performs now the best on the USB port. I will get high-speed USB isolator as soon as is possible, it has a further potential. I am not going to get rid of it, even after getting a better one.

My R2R-11 has survived a robbery on a gun point when all my belonging were taken from me and I suffered an injury. It looks professional. Folks even asked what it was, I answered a radio communicator. I am staying on the farm, there is a neighbour watch.
:)
No way! That's crazy. That thing has quite the story behind it then lol. And yeah, I agree, my R2R11 wont be going anywhere either. BTW, Im thinking about purchasing the isolator that you mentioned to me in the post you linked me to. This one: https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256806124557142.html

Very curious how it changes the sound. On the R2R11, I preferred the optical, but on the R1, I think I like the USB most. Probably because of the upgraded accusilicon clocks Im guessing.

May 8, 2024 at 3:48 PM Post #1,721 of 1,722
No way! That's crazy. That thing has quite the story behind it then lol. And yeah, I agree, my R2R11 wont be going anywhere either. BTW, Im thinking about purchasing the isolator that you mentioned to me in the post you linked me to. This one: https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256806124557142.html

Very curious how it changes the sound. On the R2R11, I preferred the optical, but on the R1, I think I like the USB most. Probably because of the upgraded accusilicon clocks Im guessing.
The cchd-575 on the Amanero board of the r2r 11 really takes it to the next level, can't believe how good it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back