Audeze - Maxwell Gaming Headsets! (latest: Firmware v63 and HQ v107 beta on June/12/24)
Mar 7, 2023 at 9:48 AM Post #2,117 of 4,474
Hi Everyone!

Just got mine earlier today! Found there are some tweaks needed for Windows.

For Outputs
  1. Go to Settings > System > Sound.
  2. Under Output, click on the arrow symbol ">" on the right of Game-Audeze Maxwell or Chat-Audeze Maxwell.
  3. Under Output Settings, change the Format from "24 bit, 48000 Hz (Studio Quality)" to "24 bit, 96000 Hz (Studio Quality)."
  4. Change the Audio Enhancements from "Device Default Effects" to "Off."
  5. Turn off Spatial Audio for regular usage.
  6. Repeat from Step 2 until both Game-Audeze Maxwell and Chat-Audeze Maxwell are properly configured.
For Input (Microphone)
  1. Go to Settings > System > Sound.
  2. Under Input, click on the arrow symbol ">" on the right of Chat-Audeze Maxwell.
  3. Under Input Settings, change the Audio Enhancements from "Device Default Effects" to "Off."

Audio Output.png

You will need to apply above settings to both USB Dongle and USB wired.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2023 at 10:06 AM Post #2,118 of 4,474
Swear you're the only person in the UK to have one in hand :sweat_smile:
The way I ordered was the reason for that. Scan put the headset up before they should of and I saw and purchased it. They took it down the morning after for 2 weeks. I got lucky I guess. Good to see the rest of you getting it in hand this week. It’s an amazing headset

Mar 7, 2023 at 11:42 AM Post #2,120 of 4,474
Whats everyone's feedback since the Firmware update? Have you noticed any difference in volume? I was never able to handle 100% on the Penrose. I tested the Maxwell in similar situations and I am very comfortable at 100% with it. This worries me somewhat because I am at the ceiling already it was always good to know I could raise it a bit If need be.

I personally haven't noticed a difference in volume since I am normally in 40-60% on pc while gaming and listening to podcast. But I wonder if changes were made to the stock presets, I could have sworn the Audeze preset sounded a bit different but might be just my imagination/placebo.

Edit: @Audeze is it possible to implement a FW/software update in teh future to be able to reprogram the button for AI Noise Reduction to something like changing EQ Presets, for example? Personally, I am just nervous about wear and tear on the scroll wheels as I use my maxwell for a wide variety of things and find myself changing EQ presets often. So far, I have resorted to using the Audeze app to select the EQ settings but being able to use the AI suppression button would be a far more elegant and practical solution.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2023 at 12:36 PM Post #2,121 of 4,474
Maxwell memory has been taken into account, and changing button functionality is not going to be happening at this time. Doing so would complicate matters, and software engineers are shifting focus on stability improvements and general fixes amongst other projects. It's not impossible, but I would not expect any changes to core functions or shortcuts any time soon. This is the layout Audeze has chosen, and won't be changing it barring something drastic happening.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2023 at 12:56 PM Post #2,122 of 4,474
Maxwell memory has been taken into account, and changing button functionality is not going to be happening at this time. Doing so would complicate matters, and software engineers are shifting focus on stability improvements and general fixes amongst other projects. It's not impossible, but don't expect any changes to core functions or shortcuts any time soon. This is the layout we've chosen, and won't be changing it barring something drastic happening.

I appreciate the quick reply, was just thinking it would be neat if it feasible.

Dxzm3teUUAES59d.jpg

Mar 7, 2023 at 1:10 PM Post #2,123 of 4,474
In case anyone was wondering why I haven't replied in the past basically two weeks, I've been out since CanJam weekend, onto a personal vacation. I was not ignoring anyone. I can answer what I can, but many questions are things that will require you contacting support@audeze.com or have answers in official channels like our FAQ. I will try and update the FAQ for something more recent, but outside of this, we have to go off what we say there.

If we say things like, "it'll be a few weeks for things to ship to dealers", official statements is what I have to go by, so if we publicly say a few weeks, I will say a few weeks, etc.

I appreciate the quick reply, was just thinking it would be neat if it feasible.
Of course I'd love to say all this is easy and we can implement multiple firmwares to allow variable selections per user, but realistically, it's a lot more complicated than people think, and can introduce major issues.

Think of it this way, the lower wheel was chosen to control communications. So you got your game/chat balance, and your sidetone for the mic output. This keeps it simple for the majority of people to understand.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2023 at 1:21 PM Post #2,124 of 4,474
In case anyone was wondering why I haven't replied in the past basically two weeks, I've been out since CanJam weekend, onto a personal vacation. I was not ignoring anyone. I can answer what I can, but many questions are things that will require you contacting support@audeze.com or have answers in official channels like our FAQ. I will try and update the FAQ for something more recent, but outside of this, we have to go off what we say there.

If we say things like, "it'll be a few weeks for things to ship to dealers", sending me multiple messages about where your order is at isn't going to give you a separate answer. Official statements is what I have to go by, so if we publicly say a few weeks, I will say a few weeks, etc.

Of course I'd love to say all this is easy and we can implement multiple firmwares to allow variable selections per user, but realistically, it's a lot more complicated than people think, and can introduce major issues.

Think of it this way, the lower wheel was chosen to control communications. So you got your game/chat balance, and your sidetone for the mic output. This keeps it simple for the majority of people to understand.
Please do consider giving more options for device priority. Your decision or technical limitation to not allow simultaneous audio from multiple sources makes this essential in my opinion. Also, please look at making the microphone priority consistent with the chosen priority. For example, aux is supposed to have max priority, but the Dongle will 'steal' microphone priority for it if connected. Like I said before in this thread, it also makes no sense that usb-c has lower priority than the dongle by default.
That is my only gripe with the headset. I don't have issues with volume or anything else on PC. An orderable list of priority would work nicely in the app. I don't know if that is feasible to implement in firmware though, but if possible please do give the option.
You made a device that on paper is perfect for people looking to use it for work, commute and gaming. But the firmware is holding it back from being efficient and adjusting to the user's needs, so that it can fulfill it's promise.

Mar 7, 2023 at 1:41 PM Post #2,125 of 4,474
I personally haven't noticed a difference in volume since I am normally in 40-60% on pc while gaming and listening to podcast. But I wonder if changes were made to the stock presets, I could have sworn the Audeze preset sounded a bit different but might be just my imagination/placebo.

Edit: @Audeze is it possible to implement a FW/software update in teh future to be able to reprogram the button for AI Noise Reduction to something like changing EQ Presets, for example? Personally, I am just nervous about wear and tear on the scroll wheels as I use my maxwell for a wide variety of things and find myself changing EQ presets often. So far, I have resorted to using the Audeze app to select the EQ settings but being able to use the AI suppression button would be a far more elegant and practical solution.
Is there a reason you feel the scroll wheels won't hold up? Penrose had way worse quality than Maxwell from all accounts, and I don't think I've seen anyone complain about them breaking.

Mar 7, 2023 at 1:43 PM Post #2,126 of 4,474
I think it's worth remembering here that first of all, Audeze is a small company. What might sound like a small change takes more work than you might think. You're talking about altering functionality of the firmware of the headset, software on PC and apps across two platforms. And for any changes you make you then need to do extensive testing to make sure you don't introduce new bugs or stability issues.

Second of all, if you start changing functionality after you ship the product, you now have headsets out in the wild that operate differently depending on which firmware version you're using. That's confusing for users and a potential nightmare for support staff (of again, a small company). Not to mention the potential to piss some of them off if they like the way it works now, because not everyone has the same use cases or the same preferences.

Mar 7, 2023 at 1:56 PM Post #2,127 of 4,474
OK wait. Can anyone with the headsets confirm that there is NO simultaneous bluetooth and USB Dongle wireless functionality. I have my phone's bluetooth on and the Maxwell connected to my phone while also connected to my laptop while working and a youtube video I'm running on my laptop will "tune out" when I get a notification on my phone. This is not simultaneous right? My assumption is that it's "switching" between both whenever a notification or sound source is triggered from either source.

Which I have to say is quite annoying. This means that I have to manually disconnect the headset from my phone or turn my phone's bluetooth off everytime I connect the Maxwell to the PC I believe.

Mar 7, 2023 at 1:57 PM Post #2,128 of 4,474
I think it's worth remembering here that first of all, Audeze is a small company. What might sound like a small change takes more work than you might think. You're talking about altering functionality of the firmware of the headset, software on PC and apps across two platforms. And for any changes you make you then need to do extensive testing to make sure you don't introduce new bugs or stability issues.

Second of all, if you start changing functionality after you ship the product, you now have headsets out in the wild that operate differently depending on which firmware version you're using. That's confusing for users and a potential nightmare for support staff (of again, a small company). Not to mention the potential to piss some of them off if they like the way it works now, because not everyone has the same use cases or the same preferences.
You are not wrong, but as a first time Audeze owner it feels like the firmware is very much a work in progress. When I first got my headset there was no functional android app, the pc version is still missing functionality, and we have already had a firmware version update that has changed the way the headset functions (in positive ways, not complaining). I don't think it's unreasonable for people to flag bugs or suggest how things could be improved or changed. Whether it's feasible or not, or how problematic it is, is up to Audeze to decide. Because it is a mutli device/multi function/ multi use case device, there is going to be disagreement of what the best way for something to work is, so IMO the best thing to do is to allow some capacity to customize via software, so that people can adjust the headset to their individual needs.

Mar 7, 2023 at 2:02 PM Post #2,129 of 4,474
Mar 7, 2023 at 2:11 PM Post #2,130 of 4,474
OK wait. Can anyone with the headsets confirm that there is NO simultaneous bluetooth and USB Dongle wireless functionality. I have my phone's bluetooth on and the Maxwell connected to my phone while also connected to my laptop while working and a youtube video I'm running on my laptop will "tune out" when I get a notification on my phone. This is not simultaneous right? My assumption is that it's "switching" between both whenever a notification or sound source is triggered from either source.

Which I have to say is quite annoying. This means that I have to manually disconnect the headset from my phone or turn my phone's bluetooth off everytime I connect the Maxwell to the PC I believe.
No, they have already stated that that is not possible. USB-C and/or aux and bluetooth will be simultaneous though. Otherwise yes, bluetooth will 'steal' priority everytime the bluetooth device is in use. I actually don't mind this behaviour, but can understand how it could be incredibly annoying for some people. Again, in an ideal world they could add a checkbox in the app that says "Allow bluetooth to take over priority". But I guess the ideas is that you can answer phone calls if you are connected to the phone. Don't want to be in a situation where you get a call and can't answer it because the device is connected but doesn't have priority.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back