Astell&Kern A&ultima SP3000T
May 4, 2024 at 5:17 PM Post #76 of 80
Okay spent some time with my ZMF headphones and both SP3K and Cayin and was pleasantly surprised with the results. My comparison was SP3K vs SP3KT tube and Cayin Classic tube mode. Quick observations:

Cayin scaled more, I would say 50% volume gave me all the power I needed however at 75% power on AK delivered. So all did very well handling ZMF.

Here where I landed personally as I compared Caldera Redheart and Atrium Open.

Caldera:
- SPK3T delivered more low end punch, and fantastic sound stage.
- SPK3K delivered similar staging but slightly less punch
- Cayin was great but trailed both AK headphones

Atrium Open
- SP3K delivered greatest soundstage experience and punch was similar to SP3KT
- SPK3T was still outstanding but not quite matching SP3K

I found for ZMF headphones AK was more musical and engaging and provided enough power to deliver an amazing experience. Cayin was great, but didn’t match AK (Cayin was slightly flatter and reference)
IMG_5042.jpegIMG_5044.jpegIMG_5045.jpeg
Thanks a lot for your report, will get the 3000T a listen 😉

May 4, 2024 at 9:00 PM Post #77 of 80
Does anyone else notice the tubes to be slightly off centered within the cutout?

IMG_0118.jpeg

May 5, 2024 at 2:26 PM Post #78 of 80
Screenshot 2024-05-05 at 19.08.47.png

Some very early thoughts on SP3000T.

I took note of the issues people reported with wifi here and on other platforms. As I mentioned in a previous post, I am in the lucky position that I have a mesh network set up in my house with gigabit fibre feeding it.

In this environment, I have had no issues with wifi signal strength or the speed of the device when streaming. If I move the slider in a track, the response is instant. Being mindful that I might be lucky here, I connected the DAP to a hotspot on my phone, which was connected to a mobile network.

When I did speed tests on my phone, it had a 4G connection at the time, and it was varying between 2 and 9mbps during a few tests. In these conditions, I saw delays in Tidal when I scrolled through a track. You get a spinning circle for a few seconds before the track catches up and plays. You will have to make what you will of that and relate it to your own circumstances. I am just reporting my experience, hopefully fairly, rather than passing judgment on the wifi capabilities of the device. I don't think it is fair to say the device has weak wifi, but it is probably fair to say in some network conditions, it does? I will compare to my RS8 with both connected to the same mobile hotspot and see how both devices perform when I get a chance.

The last A&K device I owned was the SP2000. I have had the chance to demo the SP3000 a number of times over the last few years. I didn't pay much attention to the UI during these demos, just the SQ, but now I have the SP3000T in my hand, it feels like it is lightyears ahead of the SP2000. The SP3000 may also be like this, I don't know, but my impressions are based on the often frustrating UX SP2000 offered.

Everything is really slick in normal use. I found adding an SD card with a lot of music on it to be a little slow, but when added, it was snappy to navigate through the music.

I have been somewhat softened to owning a DAP with tubes in the sense I have had the Cayin N3 Ultra for the last few weeks here. To be clear, though, I baby all my equipment, so adding tubes into the mix hasn't really changed how I personally handle a device. I am not out jogging with a DAP or anything like that. I walk around my house, cook, clean etc and walk around the office, but I think my devices have an easy life! I have had no issues so far related to the tubes or handling the device. I have read the previous comment about about the ringing sound. I will see can I replicate it.

SP2000T didn't have a great time with interference. Cayin went to a lot of hassle to remove all radios from the N3 Ultra to ensure this wasn't an issue. I was a little concerned that the SP3000T may have similar issues, considering it has wireless radios and can stream and so on, so I have really been focussed on that side of things to see if I could pick up anything. For me, streaming on Tidal introduces no noise that I can pick up. I have done my best to stress test it, chopping and changing tracks, doing everything I could to force it to have to download data to play a track, and there has been nothing of note for me so far.

When I position my iPhone in certain places, I can hear it interfering with the sound. But this is no worse than any other DAP I own and it seems better protected from this type of interference than my RS8 is. For now, anyway, I can't fault it.

So enough of the possible faults and on to the sound. I think that, overall, it has a fairly unique sound in the DAP world, and the only other device I have heard that is somewhat similar, funnily enough, is the N3 Ultra. Before people get the pitchforks ready, I am not saying they are the same; they just share a lot of characteristics that come with a tube sound and the AKM family of DACs.

There is a dense, analogue tone to stringed instruments and drums. I think it would be easy to say it's warmth, but there is more to it than that. As the device is using a high end Delta Sigma DAC, notes still have tons of detail and don't sound rounded like many warm sources make things. Decay is slower, but the attack is just as sharp. I mainly listen to R2R sources, and to me, the SP3000T still has the characteristics of a DS DAC first and foremost. It can be an intense listen at times, and the DAR function, while impressive, can add even more punch.

Vocals stand out for me as they, for the most part, don't seem too coloured by the tubes. Instruments are for sure, and you can enjoy the results of that, but when I listen to vocals, they are detailed and present as you would expect from a totl DAP. Detail levels are high. You won't come away feeling like it is the most detailed DAP, but you won't leave wanting more, either. It creates a very engaging listen.

Technical aspects such as layering and soundstage dimensions are good, but to be honest, I haven't really cared or focussed that so far. If it is an absolute for you, you will probably want to look elsewhere. It just isn't what this device is about for me. It does enough on all fronts to make you feel like you are not missing out, but the USP of a tube sound is what it offers. If you like that type of sound and want streaming etc, then it's a compelling device.

Like N3 Ultra, when connected to an external amp such as the Mass Kobo 475, the DAP absolutely sings. Again, there is no need for pitchforks; I am not saying it needs an external amp to sound good; I am just stating that when connected to a good amp, it creates a very impressive experience. I am not fully aware of the line-out architecture with this DAP. I know previous A&K devices didn't have a true dedicated line out, but whatever A&K did here, it sounds excellent. No noise and a clean variable power signal are on offer.

One issue I had on the first day was battery life. In full tube, high current, and streaming, I lost about 20% every half an hour. That was a little concerning, but I think it may be due to the calibration of the battery meter. I charged the device and ran it down until it died a couple of times since, and it is improving. I will report back when I have had a few more charge cycles.

So far, I am enjoying listening to it with my different IEMs, and I hope with some more hours, it will get even better :ok_hand:

It would be fab if Soundcloud was added to the supported apps, too. It's a big omission for me.

May 5, 2024 at 3:10 PM Post #79 of 80

Some very early thoughts on SP3000T.

I took note of the issues people reported with wifi here and on other platforms. As I mentioned in a previous post, I am in the lucky position that I have a mesh network set up in my house with gigabit fibre feeding it.

In this environment, I have had no issues with wifi signal strength or the speed of the device when streaming. If I move the slider in a track, the response is instant. Being mindful that I might be lucky here, I connected the DAP to a hotspot on my phone, which was connected to a mobile network.

When I did speed tests on my phone, it had a 4G connection at the time, and it was varying between 2 and 9mbps during a few tests. In these conditions, I saw delays in Tidal when I scrolled through a track. You get a spinning circle for a few seconds before the track catches up and plays. You will have to make what you will of that and relate it to your own circumstances. I am just reporting my experience, hopefully fairly, rather than passing judgment on the wifi capabilities of the device. I don't think it is fair to say the device has weak wifi, but it is probably fair to say in some network conditions, it does? I will compare to my RS8 with both connected to the same mobile hotspot and see how both devices perform when I get a chance.

The last A&K device I owned was the SP2000. I have had the chance to demo the SP3000 a number of times over the last few years. I didn't pay much attention to the UI during these demos, just the SQ, but now I have the SP3000T in my hand, it feels like it is lightyears ahead of the SP2000. The SP3000 may also be like this, I don't know, but my impressions are based on the often frustrating UX SP2000 offered.

Everything is really slick in normal use. I found adding an SD card with a lot of music on it to be a little slow, but when added, it was snappy to navigate through the music.

I have been somewhat softened to owning a DAP with tubes in the sense I have had the Cayin N3 Ultra for the last few weeks here. To be clear, though, I baby all my equipment, so adding tubes into the mix hasn't really changed how I personally handle a device. I am not out jogging with a DAP or anything like that. I walk around my house, cook, clean etc and walk around the office, but I think my devices have an easy life! I have had no issues so far related to the tubes or handling the device. I have read the previous comment about about the ringing sound. I will see can I replicate it.

SP2000T didn't have a great time with interference. Cayin went to a lot of hassle to remove all radios from the N3 Ultra to ensure this wasn't an issue. I was a little concerned that the SP3000T may have similar issues, considering it has wireless radios and can stream and so on, so I have really been focussed on that side of things to see if I could pick up anything. For me, streaming on Tidal introduces no noise that I can pick up. I have done my best to stress test it, chopping and changing tracks, doing everything I could to force it to have to download data to play a track, and there has been nothing of note for me so far.

When I position my iPhone in certain places, I can hear it interfering with the sound. But this is no worse than any other DAP I own and it seems better protected from this type of interference than my RS8 is. For now, anyway, I can't fault it.

So enough of the possible faults and on to the sound. I think that, overall, it has a fairly unique sound in the DAP world, and the only other device I have heard that is somewhat similar, funnily enough, is the N3 Ultra. Before people get the pitchforks ready, I am not saying they are the same; they just share a lot of characteristics that come with a tube sound and the AKM family of DACs.

There is a dense, analogue tone to stringed instruments and drums. I think it would be easy to say it's warmth, but there is more to it than that. As the device is using a high end Delta Sigma DAC, notes still have tons of detail and don't sound rounded like many warm sources make things. Decay is slower, but the attack is just as sharp. I mainly listen to R2R sources, and to me, the SP3000T still has the characteristics of a DS DAC first and foremost. It can be an intense listen at times, and the DAR function, while impressive, can add even more punch.

Vocals stand out for me as they, for the most part, don't seem too coloured by the tubes. Instruments are for sure, and you can enjoy the results of that, but when I listen to vocals, they are detailed and present as you would expect from a totl DAP. Detail levels are high. You won't come away feeling like it is the most detailed DAP, but you won't leave wanting more, either. It creates a very engaging listen.

Technical aspects such as layering and soundstage dimensions are good, but to be honest, I haven't really cared or focussed that so far. If it is an absolute for you, you will probably want to look elsewhere. It just isn't what this device is about for me. It does enough on all fronts to make you feel like you are not missing out, but the USP of a tube sound is what it offers. If you like that type of sound and want streaming etc, then it's a compelling device.

Like N3 Ultra, when connected to an external amp such as the Mass Kobo 475, the DAP absolutely sings. Again, there is no need for pitchforks; I am not saying it needs an external amp to sound good; I am just stating that when connected to a good amp, it creates a very impressive experience. I am not fully aware of the line-out architecture with this DAP. I know previous A&K devices didn't have a true dedicated line out, but whatever A&K did here, it sounds excellent. No noise and a clean variable power signal are on offer.

One issue I had on the first day was battery life. In full tube, high current, and streaming, I lost about 20% every half an hour. That was a little concerning, but I think it may be due to the calibration of the battery meter. I charged the device and ran it down until it died a couple of times since, and it is improving. I will report back when I have had a few more charge cycles.

So far, I am enjoying listening to it with my different IEMs, and I hope with some more hours, it will get even better :ok_hand:

It would be fab if Soundcloud was added to the supported apps, too. It's a big omission for me.

Nice impressions! I am really enjoying it too but I feel stuck in between whether or not I want to buy one. I’ve just asked if I can extend my demo until Tuesday so I can come to some sort of conclusion. Between its combination of warmth and clarity with immersive imaging I find it very engaging and enjoyable to listen to.

May 5, 2024 at 3:37 PM Post #80 of 80
Nice impressions! I am really enjoying it too but I feel stuck in between whether or not I want to buy one. I’ve just asked if I can extend my demo until Tuesday so I can come to some sort of conclusion. Between its combination of warmth and clarity with immersive imaging I find it very engaging and enjoyable to listen to.
Cheers. Hopefully with a few more days the chocie will become clearer for you. It certainly offers something unique.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back