Are there *free* ways to improve TIDAL playback quality? like Roon..But free? Or cheap?
Oct 13, 2023 at 2:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

BrokeAudiophileMan

100+ Head-Fier
So I did the free trial of Roon. I loved that it somehow improved the sound quality of my (non MQA) TIDAL subscription. I don't know what it was doing but it sounded better. Sadly I thought the price was too high so I never actually subbed and cancelled after 20 days.

I seek something that will similarly improve TIDAL sound quality on my PC (and maybe even my phone?) but I don't want to spend any money- and if I do have to spend money I'd like to spend a reasonable one time fee and not add yet another subscription. Too many damn things to sub to these days.

Thanks! :) :) :)

Oct 13, 2023 at 4:19 PM Post #2 of 5
If your using headphones, get APO equalizer and Peace front end for free. Install it and check the option under troubleshooting to uncheck the existing APO and just use the one for the equalizer. Then use Peace with the Autoeq button to select the presets for your headphones off the list until you find one you like best. Costs nothing to try, and set to avoid clipping in peace with the option box.
The hearing test is cool too for making a custom EQ profile for your personal hearing and headphones.

Oct 14, 2023 at 10:39 PM Post #3 of 5
Tidal will never sound as good as your own ripped files. If you do not have any local files, then you get to live with Tidal or not............................

On an Android at least, you can use USBAPP *(under $10, I think) and stream through that for a slightly better Tidal result, does not work with downloaded Tidal files. Alternatively, some anecdotally say Amazon Music lossless to sound better and also Qobuz, which I agree with. I can say it has been a long while since I tried Amazon, but when I did it was much better than Apple Music on the Beck Sea Change Album I tried back and forth with my Android phone.

If you don't own your favorite music, then try a few other services and find one that you can live with.

Oct 15, 2023 at 12:29 AM Post #4 of 5
I don't want to spend any money- and if I do have to spend money I'd like to spend a reasonable one time fee and not add yet another subscription.

Username checks out

Oct 15, 2023 at 9:52 AM Post #5 of 5
Not directly Tidal-related, but if you're using a PC as your source: Exercise Stabilizer, Lemonade Elitest, and Majiority Clean are all free. You could also look into disabling unnecessary services/processes in your OS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back