Anyone using Apple Lossless Sampling Rate Switcher?
Feb 20, 2024 at 8:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

skhan007

1000+ Head-Fier
I downloaded it and it doesn't work. I'm sure it's user error, but the sample rate does not seem to change and the Audio/MIDI display just stays stuck at the last highest rate I used.

For example. I'll play a 24/96 song and then switch to a 16/44.1 song and the display on both the switcher and A/M will still say 96.0. This is also what my RME DAC displays, as that's the information being sent by the Mac to the DAC.

I'm using a new M2 MacBook Air.

Feb 20, 2024 at 12:58 PM Post #3 of 6
Just to make sure, are you using Apple Music? If not, as the switcher reads the log of Apple Music, it won't work.
Yes, Apple Music, but not streaming. Local files (ie ALAC files). I think I'm concluding that Lossless Switcher only works for streaming Apple Music.

Feb 20, 2024 at 3:21 PM Post #4 of 6
Lossless Switcher works fine for me when streaming Apple Music or playing downloaded songs from Apple Music with no internet connection so definitely playing the download.

Mine is an old 2014 MacBook Pro and if just playing to the internal speakers as a test it will show 96khz maximum despite it being 192 on some songs I tested it on, MIDI shows the same with no option for 192 setting, obviously a machine limitation.

Plug in a DAC and they show 192 as normal.

When it switches it isn't instantaneous, it can take a second or two some times.

If you are playing local files that are not Apple Music downloads through Apple Music, I think that is possible with iTunes downloads, that might be the problem, the background data may be different and Lossless Switcher doesn't read it ??

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2024 at 4:14 PM Post #5 of 6
Lossless Switcher works fine for me when streaming Apple Music or playing downloaded songs from Apple Music with no internet connection so definitely playing the download.

Mine is an old 2014 MacBook Pro and if just playing to the internal speakers as a test it will show 96khz maximum despite it being 192 on some songs I tested it on, MIDI shows the same with no option for 192 setting, obviously a machine limitation.

Plug in a DAC and they show 192 as normal.

When it switches it isn't instantaneous, it can take a second or two some times.

If you are playing local files that are not Apple Music downloads through Apple Music, I think that is possible with iTunes downloads, that might be the problem, the background data may be different and Lossless Switcher doesn't read it ??
Thanks- So in other words, Lossless Switcher will reflect changes in sample rate with files are either Apple Music streaming or Apple Music downloads?

If so, then it sounds like my non-Apple files won't be compatible. That's understandable.

The strange part is- let's say I'm playing a 24/96 file in my other media player and the Audio/MIDI app correctly says 96.0. Then, I'll turn that off and switch on Apple Music and play a 16/44.1 file and Audio/MIDI still states 96.0.

Feb 20, 2024 at 5:00 PM Post #6 of 6
The strange part is- let's say I'm playing a 24/96 file in my other media player and the Audio/MIDI app correctly says 96.0. Then, I'll turn that off and switch on Apple Music and play a 16/44.1 file and Audio/MIDI still states 96.0.

Hmmm .... assuming Lossless Switcher is working fine when streaming from Apple Music it might need you to select a few songs manually to force it to change or perhaps quit and relaunch the switcher or completely shut down the other media player and Apple Music and relaunch Apple Music and Lossless Switcher so it get a fresh start again.

Computers, you know, glitches, incompatibilities etc

Users who are viewing this thread

Back