Amp/dac combo question.
Jul 16, 2008 at 1:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

alitomr

500+ Head-Fier
Is the Amp of these portables generally better than the DAC section.

I have been very pleased with the headstage lyrix since the first day I got it, but today, for the first time, I decided to connect it to the wallwart and I must say the difference in sound is quite big. The difference ifrom headstage dac/amp powered from USB to ZVM HP out-lyrix powered from wallwart is bigger than going from the headphone out of the laptop to the headstage lyrix dac/amp powered from USB port.

The mids are now more forward and both the highs and bass are more clear. The soundstage feels bigger and instrument separation is probably the biggest enhancement. All this is using the triple.fi 10 pro.

Does this generally happens with AMP/DAC combos? Is the DAC considered worse than the AMP on most of this units (i.e.: predator, pico, Boa, 2move)?

Jul 16, 2008 at 2:16 AM Post #2 of 4
Usually the amp in a portable setup is the weak link, when compared to the source. My D1(via the lineout) and Predator(used as a DAC via the headphone out) where more than competitive with my CDP based sources. As much as people want to believe that battered powered portable amps can sonically compete with home based equilevants, its just not true. Portable amps serve a purpose, but they do not sound as good as similarly priced home based amps IMHO.

Jul 16, 2008 at 2:26 AM Post #3 of 4
I experienced a very nice improvement in SQ with a Meier Audio Porta Corda MkIII-USB (USB DAC/ portable amp) when I used a 30 volt power supply compared to the 9 volt battery( or 5 volt USB ramped to 10 volts).

The available power was very close to my AC powered SS amp that I use ( PreSonus Central Station ). With battery power it wasn't even close.

Jul 16, 2008 at 2:31 AM Post #4 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dash /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Usually the amp in a portable setup is the weak link, when compared to the source. My D1(via the lineout) and Predator(used as a DAC via the headphone out) where more than competitive with my CDP based sources. As much as people want to believe that battered powered portable amps can sonically compete with home based equilevants, its just not true. Portable amps serve a purpose, but they do not sound as good as similarly priced home based amps IMHO.

i find this to be true also, but i must say that using my portable dac to feed my bryston 12b as a headfone amp sounds better than using the built in dac in any of my digital sources to feed the analog signal to the bryston.

i use a macbook via optical into a headroom micro d/amp portable then its preamp out to the bryston. this works well. very well.

mobile i use the same d/amp optically connected to the mac with the fones powered by the headroom directly. with the ipod as an external drive serving itunes on the mac.

portable can be either analog in from the ipod line out or skip the amp altogether.

thus the portable d/amp is quite versatile since it has so many inputs and a preamp output

not running on a/c power gives one less way for the components to affect each other. especially on a home setup. if your amp draws enough current to drop the line voltage all the equipment is affected. if the DAP and preamp are on battery they are unaffected.

and it could be an air conditioner or refridge or whatever modulating the line voltage.......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back