Am I on the right track? Tube Headphone USB more
Aug 24, 2006 at 7:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Wavelength

Member of the Trade: Wavelength Audio
Gang,

I was talking to a member of the Forum last night about 2 products that I am/will be making in the near future. The Crimson is pretty well set and on the way it's pricer than I can afford but I want to go over another idea that I have been spending time on.

Basically I was thinking of a main stream Tube Headphone amplifier. I designed like 38 of them over the last week and talked to MagneQuest today and have pretty much decided on a fair design.

Basically it will have a Line and USB input. USB will be handled by my new custom programmed TAS1020B controller and then dac priviledges will be TDA1543 as with the Brick and the Cosecant.

Line and DAC manuel switch on the Front will go to an Alps 25mm blue vol control and then to a single 6H30-PI tube in parallel feed using a custom output transformer with low (25-68) and high (150-300) settings for the headphone. I think switch via a toggle same as the input.

Power output will be 0.1W's

Power supply will be a table top external custom unit.

Anyway I told the formum member I would post what I was doing.

Am I on the right track?

Thanks
Gordon

Aug 24, 2006 at 8:26 PM Post #2 of 5
Yeah sounds interesting....
What's with he impedence selection values?... what If I have a 100 Ohm headphone?
Is it 110V or 220 AC? Might want to make that switchable.
Fuse the P/S. (this seems likea no-brainer but I have seen un-fused power supplies)

I wouldn't mind volunteering my time for any prototype evaluations... see my cans in my profile.
Garrett

Aug 25, 2006 at 3:57 AM Post #3 of 5
I like the line and usb input feature, what kind of line are you talking about spdif, toslink?. Not sure about seperate power supply as a more compact size would be desired by most I think. However it sounds like it's going to be a real "hi-end" dac and superior headphone amp combo, which is something that the other 1k dacs can't seem to get right. You've got my vote!

Aug 30, 2006 at 1:50 PM Post #4 of 5
Gang,

Since this is NOT a OTL it does have a transformer with TAPS. That is why it requires a H/L switch or maybe I will use 2 different jacks. Not sure yet...

The line input is a line input not a digital input. The only digital input will be USB as I feel that has the best results.

There will be a North America power supply and then an international power supply to support 100, 200, 220 and 240Vac.

Thanks
Gordon

Aug 30, 2006 at 2:27 PM Post #5 of 5
As far as sound quality, would it be similar to the brick or cosecant?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back