Alambic Ears - Impressions thread - Mentawai, Mavericks, Mundaka, Noosa
May 9, 2024 at 2:43 AM Post #316 of 320
Ordered last week as a birthday present to myself - after reading this thread I am really excited to hear them firsthand!!

May 14, 2024 at 5:37 PM Post #318 of 320
I received mine today and I am just discovering them, will post a feedback in the near future!
Curious about what design input you provided and how it turned out. I was surprised to have so much input into the faceplate design.

May 15, 2024 at 4:32 AM Post #319 of 320
Curious about what design input you provided and how it turned out. I was surprised to have so much input into the faceplate design.
I initially described a kind of concept using a few images. However I did not totally stick to that concept, even though I fell not too far either.
Then Aldo showed me a few plates he had which may be not too far from that concept (+ a few other he had in stock), which gave me a rough idea of what it could be. I chose one of them, the latest one he showed me actually.

It was a moderately long email discussion but in the end I settled for one of his suggestion as for me it would lessen the risk of having a "bad surprise" :
  • I could see a photo of what the design could look like, even if photos do not totally represent the final result (you have some impacts from light, angles, etc.),
  • I can imagine how consuming is the manual labor of creating the faceplates and the Mentawai so I wanted to avoid "overtasking" Aldo if I could be satisfied with one of the designs ; also I guess it has an impact on the lead time: the more complex, the further in the time you may receive your earphones.
Also navigating Google Images to search for some Alambic Ears designs, and checking out a few other manufacturers websites about their faceplates helped me think about it and as inspirations. Like you I kind of needed a ground context to think about the faceplates.

In any case you can discuss it with Aldo, of course. He may also have a few inputs if you tell him about how you imagine your own faceplates.

In the end I am super happy with the result so I do not have any regret.

May 15, 2024 at 10:31 AM Post #320 of 320
I told him I liked organic designs - fractals and other patterns found in nature - and that I tended to like greens, blues , and yellows. After looking at some examples, we ended up with dragon skin that emphasizes greens and blues. I still don't know the final form, but I wanted it to be his creation, so I'm leaving that up to him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back