Accurate Sound convolution filters
Dec 28, 2023 at 1:36 AM Post #16 of 22
Dec 28, 2023 at 3:21 AM Post #17 of 22
From the images above it does not look like that's being done here so for many people these convolutions will end up sounding very bad.
?
Mitch is not going above 5khz or 6khz tops, sometimes even lower.

Anyway I tried couple of filters from him and actually liked the result.
But on the other hand spending some time with EQ, FR, tone sweeps and music by myself would led me to even better result :wink:

Dec 28, 2023 at 3:26 AM Post #18 of 22
?
Mitch is not going above 5khz or 6khz tops, sometimes even lower.

Anyway I tried couple of filters from him and actually liked the result.
But on the other hand spending some time with EQ, FR, tone sweeps and music by myself would led me to even better result :wink:
That's correct. See my later comments regarding the adjustment

Mar 8, 2024 at 10:39 AM Post #20 of 22
@GoldenOne , I agree with everything you are saying, however, I think you may have overlooked the high frequency response limit of the chart that @Rayon posted. The chart goes up to 3 kHz...

Accurate Sound's convolution filters do not eq HRTF. There is no eq beyond 6 kHz, other than like you say, perhaps a high frequency shelf that adjusts the overall treble level to one's ears.

A FIR filter with 65536 taps @ 48 kHz has a frequency resolution of 48000/65536 = 0.732 Hz. The frequency range spans 0 Hz to 24 kHz (fs/2). Thinking of a FIR filter as a graphic equalizer: 24000/0.732 = 32768 sliders for our equalizer. That is 1000 times the frequency resolution of a 31 band 1/3 octave equalizer.

Kind regards,
Mitch
Hi,

Could you recommend some basics to read concerning these Convolution filters used with Qobuz. I don't have Roon and just bought Raal CA-1a headphones. I've read some very positive comments about these filters, but the procedure (without Roon, if possible) is, to put it mildly, really dim for me. Thanks!

Mar 8, 2024 at 3:05 PM Post #21 of 22
Hi @Majuto you will need a 3rd party convolver to host the filters. Depending on the convolver, a virtual audio driver may be required to "loopback" the output from Qobuz into the convolver and then out to your DAC. On Mac, BlackHole is a virtual loopback driver that works well, along with VB-Virtual Audio Cable on Windows. Both are free and installation is easy. The signal path would look like this:

Qobuz ouput -> loopback driver input -> loopback driver output -> input to convolver -> convolution -> output of convolver -> DAC

Hope that helps.

Mar 9, 2024 at 12:54 AM Post #22 of 22
Hi @Majuto you will need a 3rd party convolver to host the filters. Depending on the convolver, a virtual audio driver may be required to "loopback" the output from Qobuz into the convolver and then out to your DAC. On Mac, BlackHole is a virtual loopback driver that works well, along with VB-Virtual Audio Cable on Windows. Both are free and installation is easy. The signal path would look like this:

Qobuz ouput -> loopback driver input -> loopback driver output -> input to convolver -> convolution -> output of convolver -> DAC

Hope that helps.
Thanks a lot! I think I now quite understand how this convolver works in principle. The signal route reminds like chain of plugins in DAWs. And if one wants e.g cd-player(if connection possible) in this signal chain: CD--computer input--loopback input etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back