Since the thread got many updates, I will hide the preliminary speculations and post officially approved information.Unconfirmed information (Click to show)
There are roumors about the upcoming model from FiiO, the X3K. As there is no dedicated thread, I've decided to open one.
So ... What do we know?
There is almost no official information, but there are some websites that publish some specs. This site publishes a lot of information. The information is in Russian, and I will try to translate it. I don't know how precise the specs are, but I will publish what I know, and hope to see official FiiO represantitives respond. I can tell that after reading those specs I've decided not to purchase the X1, and rather wait for the X3K.
So .. What do we know, based on that site?
1. The device is based on the X3 and supports lossless formats up to 24bit/192kHz. The new player will be able to play DSD and will have it's own DSD decoding system.
2. It will use improved CS4398 DAC, and improved two-layered signal generator to fight frequency jitter.
3. It will be possible to use the USB interface for line out and docking station usage
4. Support for wired headphones with Apple controlls for PLAY/PAUSE/PREW/NEXT.
5. It will be possible to use the device with new FiiO E09S device, and it can be used as USB DAC and amplifier.
6. It will feature a 5cm screen, and it will allow to use UI and scroll wheel from X5.
7. Firmware upgrades, 10 band floating point EQ, playlist composition and other functions are supported.
Estimated time to hit the markets - december 2014. X3 will be discontinued prior the new X3K model being available.
X3K will be available at 199$. What's notable, that X1 and X3K are same sized players, but the X3K will be available only in black. It will feature a battery with twice the capacity of X1.
Please note that I don't clame the information to be official or approved by FiiO. This is only what I know, and I want this beast :)
Updates (from information contibuted by members/FiiO represantitives)
1. Thanks to BelialSeraph we know that the picture is not a picture of the X3K, but of one of X1's prototypes.
1. It's called Fiio X3 Second Generation, not X3K.
2. Fiio X3 Second Generation is the same size and UI as the X1 just a bit thicker.
3. Dual crystal oscillators for less jitter.
4. Deep sleep mode for instant on usage without battery drain.
5. 10 band EQ.
6. In-line remote support.
7. Custom playlists.
8. Uses Cirrus Logic CS4398 chip.
9. Native DSD support.
10. It will have a shared line-out and coaxial output jack.
11. About as powerful amp section as the current X3.
12. Full metal case with scroll wheel.
13. Cost is $200 US
14. Mass production will be done in April and then launched to the global market.
Detailed tech. specs can be found here : http://www.head-fi.org/t/743704/the-fiio-x3-2nd-gen-ex-x3k-x3ii-thread-192k-24b-cs4398-native-dsd-usb-dac-with-lo-and-inline-remote/690#post_11372468
Reviews are located here :
The official release firmware version 1.0 for the X3 2nd gen may be downloaded here:
Firmware version 1.1
USB DAC Driver for Windows can be downloaded here:
Some summary of the reviews written up till 10.4.2015 (and mini FAQ)
1. It's located between X1 and X5 SQ-wise, more close to the X5
2. It's SQ is much better than the X3 first edition
3. No drivers are needed for the USB DAC function to operate on MAC, and drivers are needed for Windows machines
4. The wheel seems to be the best quality of the X1 X5 and X3 II trio, but still one click does not necessary mean one movement in the menu's
5. The new X3 does not have hardware bass/treble controls like the X3 first edition, but it has 10 band software sound equlizer just like the X5 has.
1, It is renamed as X3 II, in fact, we will change the model no but the X3 keep the same. something like Audi keep A3,A6,A7,A8 .
2, the new X3 = X1 + USB DAC + bigger power output + Native DSD support + better DAC (CS4398), + Better Amp + coaxial output + 100 US$. btw, the new X3 is a little thicker than X1 and become full metal case.
or new X3 = Old X3 + Native DSD supports+ better DAC ( CS4398) + New UI and ID.
The mass production will be done in April and them launch global market.
Edited by viperxp - 5/23/15 at 9:13am