So I finished up my mod. It worked and here are the results. It seems like the 8323's might've been designed to be a headset originally so this was a pretty simple process.
I think it came out nicely all in all. It's the only fully modular headset that I know of so that's pretty cool if nothing else. Also, the audio quality doesn't seem to have changed, which I'm really happy about.
If anyone wants to know what I did, I basically just moved the wire that was attached to MIC to GND, then soldered my jack to GND and MIC. There's already a nice recess in the center of the cup that fit my jack perfectly, so I just drilled a hole there to mount it. After that, all you need is a TRRS cable, a TRRS to 2x TRS splitter, and a mic.