Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Sony's New 2014 flagship IEM - XBA Z5
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sony's New 2014 flagship IEM - XBA Z5

post #1 of 4118
Thread Starter 

 

http://cdn.head-fi.org/7/78/78eaa07a_XBAZ5.jpeg

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdpYCIbVHAU


Looks like Z5 is the successor to the XBA H3 with improvements to the dynamic and BA drivers:ksc75smile:

I wonder if XBA Z5 will be a new model above XBA H3 or a replacement to H3...

 

... and imo the Z5 reeks serious business because of the conservative design & looks, and I also think it's even more conservative than even the already conservative EX800st / 7550 in the looks & flashiness department.


Edited by TheBoss - 9/6/14 at 11:48am
post #2 of 4118
popcorn.gif subbed
post #3 of 4118

Any word or thoughts on pricing?

post #4 of 4118
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbal View Post
 

Any word or thoughts on pricing?

 

I think the MSRP is $699 (what it is currently priced on Amazon) but I doubt it will stay at that price for long. I'd expect the retail price to be around $400.

post #5 of 4118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreyka View Post

I think the MSRP is $699 (what it is currently priced on Amazon) but I doubt it will stay at that price for long. I'd expect the retail price to be around $400.
wonder how much z7 will be.
post #6 of 4118
700 USD
post #7 of 4118
Successor to H3? Oh that's quick
post #8 of 4118

Awesome, can't wait for a UK price.

 

Wonder what the difference is between the Z5 and A3:

http://www.sony.com.sg/product/xba-a3

post #9 of 4118
Did you say $700 XD...slightly too much money for an iem for me but ill see the reviews first before deciding wink.gif
post #10 of 4118

Subbed too :biggrin::popcorn: 

 

EDIT:

 

differences between A2, A3, A1 and Z5 are obvious

 

Different frequebcy extension, different sound pressure levels, and the size of the dynamic driver, however, A3 and z5 have the same frequency response, but appears z5 has premium stuff on it, mainly the supertweeter is made of magnesium (doesn't say so on the A3 specs), the LCP driver of Z5 is coated in aluminum...

 

As sony said when they released the SACD... "THE Compact disc (CD) was already a good start"... IMO the XBA-H3 were also already a good start


Edited by gerelmx1986 - 9/6/14 at 9:01am
post #11 of 4118
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerelmx1986 View Post
 

Subbed too :biggrin::popcorn: 

 

EDIT:

 

differences between A2, A3, A1 and Z5 are obvious

 

Different frequebcy extension, different sound pressure levels, and the size of the dynamic driver, however, A3 and z5 have the same frequency response, but appears z5 has premium stuff on it, mainly the supertweeter is made of magnesium (doesn't say so on the A3 specs), the LCP driver of Z5 is coated in aluminum...

 

As sony said when they released the SACD... "THE Compact disc (CD) was already a good start"... IMO the XBA-H3 were also already a good start

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaim View Post
 

Awesome, can't wait for a UK price.

 

Wonder what the difference is between the Z5 and A3:

http://www.sony.com.sg/product/xba-a3

 

 

Why can't all sony regional sites stay in one page?

 

I didn't know XBA-A3 is a new model (replacement to H3?) until I checked out Sony Singapore.  Sony China (mainland) and Germany only featured Z7.  Sony USA features no new models & upcoming flagships.

post #12 of 4118
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbal View Post
 

Any word or thoughts on pricing?

 

I'm sure it will be on the high side like the EX1000 because it's made in Japan.

Apparently "Made in Japan" is now part of the marketing bullet point.

 

Z5 pre-order page on amzn is up

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-XBAZ5-Ultimate-Hi-Res-Headphone/dp/B00NBMHTH6/?tag=hpg33k-20


Edited by TheBoss - 9/6/14 at 12:14pm
post #13 of 4118

Litz cables.... interesting

post #14 of 4118

Newbie question, what are Litz cables???? i know OFC is oxygen-free copper... perhaps the copper is vacummed and the cable hot plastic injected in the copper wires during vacuum?

 

I see on sony specs that they say OFC-Litz.... i think also says so on the XBA-H3 user manual

 

EDIT: REading the manual of my XBA-H3's it says both cables are OFC-Litz, and the supertweeter diaphragm is made of aluminum


Edited by gerelmx1986 - 9/6/14 at 3:16pm
post #15 of 4118

Sony makes the XBA-Z5 really tempting, it seems it is a total different and new level up from H3. There are successors announced of the H series (XBA-A3 might be the successors of H3, A2 for H2 and so on) and Z5 is another special, standing out MIJ model that being the new flagship of Sony IEM.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Sony's New 2014 flagship IEM - XBA Z5