I'm subscribed to Garage1217's newsletter where they just announced their latest amp, the solid-state Project Polaris! Also mentioned on their Web site!
Polaris is almost here and shipping on the 21st of this month! We spent a little more time giving Polaris the TLC she deserved and added quite a few more features. Polaris is now ready for pre-order in our kits or built amplifier section! Pre-order by Monday the 7th at midnight and receive free shipping! (Domestic orders only - international orders will be billed for shipping at time of shipment)
- Enough power to drive most any headphone, even the HE-6 or K1000! (same output stage as our tried and true Project Ember
- Covers most all headphone impedance ranges from 16-600 ohm with ease
- 3 selectable gain settings combined with an input attenuation module that will let you fine tune the amplifier to meet most any headphone efficiency spec (will not blow your ears off at 5% volume with IEM's if setup properly)
- Amplifier is QUIET. Even being open frame, she is extremely resilient to interference vs. tube amplifiers. Noise floor / S/N, channel separation and other figures are stellar
- FET input stage gives very similar distortion as a tube amplifier which is the reason so many early solid state designs are now legendary. They sound better!
- Along with all of that... SOME MOAR! Polaris features 3 output resistance settings up to 120ohm, 3 bandwidth settings (will help tame some shrill headphones and also can make her sound more like an old school tube amplifier if desired)
- Line out so you may use Polaris as a pre-amplifier. Line out is disconnected when headphones are inserted, A feature many desire and have asked for (now implemented in Sunrise and Horizon III)
- Low profile design with all jumpers accessible from the top panel or sides. No need to remove the lid
How much is this beast going to cost? That is the best part! You can pick up a built Polaris for $249.99 or a Polaris kit for $214.99!
Looks like it'll be a great amp, can't wait to try it out eventually.