So, third generation of Grado, man. Thoughts? Impressions? Expectations? What do you think of Grado updating the line? Post any related thing here!
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Recommendations for exciting open back headphones on a budget Last post on 8/12/14 at 4:09pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Grado Labs NEW e series headphones and loaner program! Last post on 11/7/14 at 5:14pm in Sponsor Announcements and Deals
- Excellent condition Grado PS500 with L-cush/Vilaibhan carrying case/original box Last post on 8/19/13 at 8:02pm in Headphones for Sale / Trade
- An audiophile heaven in San Francisco Last post on 1/8/14 at 6:20pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Grado SR 325 is driver mismatch Last post on 12/24/11 at 2:38pm in Headphones (full-size)
I bought these at less than half retail on a whim from Audio Advisor, looking to replace my aging Sennheiser HD 580's. Look at the picture...these are VERY NICELY made headphones! All aluminum...
The HM5 Velours are quite simply, an uber-comfortable pad for HM5/Shure/Beyer/ATH/(most large circumaural headphones). I was offered a review sample from Brainwavz and have the following to say...
Almost 2 months with these gems. I simply love these IEMs. I paired them against my Shure SE215 and the Havi B3 Pro 1 and I briefly pit them against the UE700s and Klipsch S4II. I am definitely no...
This is my first proper set of over ears, and I'm quite surprised! The bass is fast, punchy and has enough weight to satisfy the slight basshead in me. The treble is a bit laid back for me, and I...
Trebuchet HiFiMan Balanced Cable Teflon over UP-OCC: Ultra Pure Ohno Continous Cast Copper Viablue Y Splitter Switchcraft 4 pin XLR Ordered 5 ft length So a bit of background here. I...
Grado e Series
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I look forward to reading your impressions.
Check the backs of the drivers on your 500s. If they are red you already have all the E technology.
Yeah I was sure to check that my current model didn't have any of the e series features before I bought the new ones today. My serial number is 37**
Here are my thoughts...barely (if any) differences between the first generation and subsequent "i" generation....so....
Probably best not to speculate. I do hope the newer versions have more/tighter bass and are more detailed. Looking forward to reading about others impressions too.
I'll wait a couple of months before I make the leap. Maybe grab a pair of 80's to compare to the one's I already own.
I bought my PS500 about a month ago and they came with "red drivers" and they also are terminated with the 1/8 headphone jack. So I guess I got an early e series headphone. They sound amazing. The PS500 were known for having a slight rolled off treble, but everything is right on, I am impressed. Very pure headphone here.
I have a pair of final run 80i's with the e improvements. I think they sound fantastic, altho the only thing is I haven't heard the previous gen. 80i's, and therefore no real perspective on the differences. That said, I DO have a pair of 60i's that I can compare to, I just need to spend some time w/ each to assess them more critically.
my biggest problem with grado headphones were the ease of damaging the cable with how the cans earily twirl and twist the cable, and the inability to easily replace damaged cables. E series appears to still have this problem, so not going to get any unfortunately.
Edited by ESL-1 - 6/11/14 at 7:51pm
The cables on MS-1(and similarly SR80?) do get twisted around quite easily, but further up the model range, the hf2(and similarly ps500?) and ps1k cables are pretty thick and heavy and do not get twisted easily.
I believe the new 12conductor cables should be even heavier and could be even more damage resistant?
- Grado e Series
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › [IC] Bryston BDA-2 Silver 2 seconds ago
- › [IC] Bryston BDA-2 Silver 50 seconds ago
- › IEM recommendation 53 seconds ago
- › [IC] Bryston BDA-2 Silver 1 minute ago
- › DIY your own Theme for your lovely X3 2 minutes ago
- › [IC] Bryston BDA-2 Silver 2 minutes ago
- › iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions,... 2 minutes ago
- › [IC] Bryston BDA-2 Silver 3 minutes ago
- › Detail level and speed of headphones 4 minutes ago
- › FiiO X1, the new start of the high-res DAP with individual DAC and... 4 minutes ago
- › HiFiMAN HE-300 by Willy 2 Streams
- › Brainwavz HM5 Velor Memory Foam Replacements Earpads - Suitable For... by JoeDoe
- › TTPOD T1-E High Definition Dual Dynamic Professional In-ear Earphone by audiobean
- › Creative Aurvana Live! 2 Headset with 40mm Drivers and In-Line Mic by donnot
- › Zynsonix Trebuchet HiFiMan Balanced Cable by BeatsWork
- › Mitsubishi LT-30 by Golden Ears
- › JVC HARX700 High-Grade Full-Size Headphone by ajlan
- › RHA T10i by Brooko
- › FiiO E11K by thatonenoob
- › AKG K3003 by GUO XIAOZHOU
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)