Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Oppo PM-1 Planar Magnetic Headphone Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Oppo PM-1 Planar Magnetic Headphone Impressions Thread - Page 46

post #676 of 3002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxx134 View Post

This is why I DONT believe the previous graph(!) showing such a drop,
It is TOTAL BALONEY (!),
because what I heard had complete clarity, sounding superior to the AlphaDogs and on par at LCD detail level.
Edit:
Although I preferred LCD X the best.
 

 

Wouldn't you think that if there was a severe drop/cutoff, the Beta Testing Team would have caught on to it? Surely somebody would have heard it, no?

 

Unless......

post #677 of 3002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beagle View Post

Wouldn't you think that if there was a severe drop/cutoff, the Beta Testing Team would have caught on to it? Surely somebody would have heard it, no?

Unless......

It's called group think wink.gif

I believe they would have caught it too, it looks like they have done a bang on job telling them what to fix. I am just hoping they emphasized frequency response. biggrin.gif
post #678 of 3002
They tested it together? I was under the impression they tested it separately at home
post #679 of 3002
Quote:
Originally Posted by DairyProduce View Post

They tested it together? I was under the impression they tested it separately at home

The together is the Oppo team wink.gif
post #680 of 3002
Wonder what was the average age of said testers. Human ears declining and all that.
post #681 of 3002
Quote:
Originally Posted by conquerator2 View Post

Wonder what was the average age of said testers. Human ears declining and all that.

 

I'm 26.

 

My quick impressions of the PM-1 have been that the bass feels weighty, controlled, and well-extended. The texture and detail is fantastic on the PM-1 for the bass. The mids are slightly forward with a warm and full natural sound. Listening to Portishead's Glory Box the vocals are incredibly satisfying. Hell, the entire song is perfect for the genre. Highs are nicely controlled in my brief listenings to horns and such. I fired up Steely Dan's Aja album for my first listen and I found nothing glaringly out of balance, even with the bassier velour pads.

 

The background is what really impresses me. Many people called the T50RP background black and I didn't understand what that meant. The PM-1 has the same clean, black background. Instruments feel suspended in the air rather than grounded to one position. Each expanding without running into the next. Good width, though the soundstage seems more on par with the Ad2000 than the Ad900 in width. Depth wise the feeling is that the instruments linger off into the background slowly fading away, when appropriate. I wouldn't call these slow headphones, they simply highlight the lingering decay of a concert.

 

Edit: LCD Soundsystem's Time to Get Away is on now. Boy those drums sound like they're in the room with me on the intro. Incredibly crisp, clean and natural. The PM-1 carry the energy nicely with a very clean and separated sound. It's not as engaging as the Ad2000, to my memory, but I don't think any headphone ever will be to me.

 

Further more listening I think these will excel as EDM cans. This is based on the last two songs sounding excellent on them: Radiohead - Little by Little [Caribou RMX], and Daft Punk - Voyager.


Edited by keanex - 4/14/14 at 6:46am
post #682 of 3002
Quote:
Originally Posted by keanex View Post

I'm 26.

My quick impressions of the PM-1 have been that the bass feels weighty, controlled, and well-extended. The texture and detail is fantastic on the PM-1 for the bass. The mids are slightly forward with a warm and full natural sound. Listening to Portishead's Glory Box the vocals are incredibly satisfying. Hell, the entire song is perfect for the genre. Highs are nicely controlled in my brief listenings to horns and such. I fired up Steely Dan's Aja album for my first listen and I found nothing glaringly out of balance, even with the bassier velour pads.

The background is what really impresses me. Many people called the T50RP background black and I didn't understand what that meant. The PM-1 has the same clean, black background. Instruments feel suspended in the air rather than grounded to one position. Each expanding without running into the next. Good width, though the soundstage seems more on par with the Ad2000 than the Ad900 in width. Depth wise the feeling is that the instruments linger off into the background slowly fading away, when appropriate. I wouldn't call these slow headphones, they simply highlight the lingering decay of a concert.

Edit: LCD Soundsystem's Time to Get Away is on now. Boy those drums sound like they're in the room with me on the intro. Incredibly crisp, clean and natural. The PM-1 carry the energy nicely with a very clean and separated sound. It's not as engaging as the Ad2000, to my memory, but I don't think any headphone ever will be to me.

Finally some good impressions! Thanks keanex.
I am confident these are good then with the typical planarmagnetic traits and soundstage (good width, decent depth). Jury is still out for treble for me I guess...
Unfortunately (unlike Hifiman, where I also have prior listening experience) there's no way for me to get these to Europe as effortlessly to verify what you hear.
I'll have to wait for a direct PM1 vs HE560 comparison, though I suspect that'll come too late.
Edited by conquerator2 - 4/14/14 at 6:51am
post #683 of 3002

Now for those of you wondering about the highs, they aren't as forward as I initially thought. I'm listening to Pink Floyd's Money which has a semi-forward saxophone and electric guitar solo, nothing reach extremely high, but I feel that they aren't as forward as I would like. Keep in mind I love bright headphones though. The guitar and saxophone are very clean, prominent, and easily discerned/well textured, but they don't sparkle. 

 

Edit: Keep in mind this is with the velours which are the only pads I'm going to use this week while I write up my review on the velour sound then go to the leather. I don't want to confuse my ears and memory. 

 

Edit 2: Holy cow. Esperanza Spalding's Wild is the Wind is giving me chills as I listen to it. The sense of space, her powerful voice and the imaging is fantastic on these. 


Edited by keanex - 4/14/14 at 7:13am
post #684 of 3002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxx134 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headphoner View Post

Using EQ to cut frequencies above 10 kHz not only loses a lot of air and sparkle but it also loses a lot of detail.  This holds for just about all instruments, including bass instruments. ...
This is why I DONT believe the previous graph(!) showing such a drop,
It is TOTAL BALONEY (!),
because what I heard had complete clarity, sounding superior to the AlphaDogs and on par at LCD detail level.
Edit:
Although I preferred LCD X the best.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aamefford View Post

popcorn.gif

(always wanted to post popcorn guy.)
me too..
popcorn.gif
.+1
But i don't agree that LCD-X is better, for me they just on par. And i heard the same headphones on the same setup
post #685 of 3002
Quote:
Originally Posted by keanex View Post
 

Now for those of you wondering about the highs, they aren't as forward as I initially thought. I'm listening to Pink Floyd's Money which has a semi-forward saxophone and electric guitar solo, nothing reach extremely high, but I feel that they aren't as forward as I would like. Keep in mind I love bright headphones though. The guitar and saxophone are very clean, prominent, and easily discerned/well textured, but they don't sparkle.

 

Good to hear...because Dark Side Of The Moon itself does not sparkle ;)

 

Thank you for posting your impressions of the PM-1. It is much appreciated :smile:

post #686 of 3002
yeah - good to see. keep 'em coming.
post #687 of 3002

I know I've posted impressions so far, and I hope others chime in, but so far I find that Jazz and EDM work really well with these. 

post #688 of 3002
I guess from the impressions so far 560 vs PM1) I've gathered this.
Bass seems very similar, both having very good punch, depth, texture and tightness
Midrange seems a bit more forward/warmer on the PM, 560 is flat
Highs seem more forward and airier on the 560, still smooth though. PM being a bit warmer and rolls off sooner.
Instrument separation and soundstage seems very good on both.
Both sound natural and "neutral".
Both have excellent PRaT and dynamics.
560 seems faster and probably has better decay as well.
PMs might be a bit more euphoric in the midrange (fuller and more forward) while 560 has the same advantage in the treble region.
PMs are easier to drive but amp seems to affect their presentation to a bigger degree.

Personal observation from this and 560 threads. IMO. YMMV.
post #689 of 3002

Well we won't know for sure until we hear them. Hopefully this week we will hear more opinions which are pretty much moot now since I will probably end up with both, sooner or later.

post #690 of 3002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
 

Well we won't know for sure until we hear them. Hopefully this week we will hear more opinions which are pretty much moot now since I will probably end up with both, sooner or later.

+1

 

Everything I have read about both makes me think they are both destined to be in my stable.

 

In any case, is this a wonderful time to be in this hobby, or what?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Oppo PM-1 Planar Magnetic Headphone Impressions Thread