or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › Random Topic Audio Discussion Thread.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Random Topic Audio Discussion Thread. - Page 10  

post #136 of 151
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by benanderson89 View Post

And my new Sports Car cost £21,500 ($35,700). So what's your point, exactly?

The more expensive versions of FLStudio just load it down with more and more plugins. FLStudio on its own is actually quite basic and a little on the low quality side. The way it handles MIDI, for example, is shockingly bad (there isn't even a list editor!) and it pales in comparison to Core MIDI in Mac OS X or the fully modular environment that is MU:LAB. It is also loaded with junk (so many pointless graphics libraries) and is in desperate need of a rewrite - it hogs far too many CPU resources for an application of its type, with competitors such as Cubase being able to handle more live processing before glitching out.

I mean wow, FLStudio isn't even a fully 64-bit environment yet. At best the 64-bit release is a BETA. Other applications have been 64-bit for years.

I've been using FLStudio for well over a decade (since Version 4!) but Logic Pro X, which is what I use now, easily beats the trousers off of it. The Ultrabeat drum machine alone is worth it in Logic Pro X over FLStudio's offerings (I bet it still uses that horrible Fruity Pad or w/e its called).

You also slander the Macintosh, saying it is rather bad for audio work. Do you have any experience with a Macintosh? Considering you think a $400 Wintel Desktop == MacBook Pro Retina, didn't even know that Steam was for the Mac (shock: its also for Linux!) and are, what, 15? I'm gonna take a wild stab in the dark and say you have little clue what you are talking about.

By all means, enjoy making your music using whatever tools you like! But you do not come into a forum and slam somebody else for simply using a Macintosh when its quite clear that you know very little on the subject.

*****

On a completely different topic, the image SomeGuyDude posted is, in fact, my little home studio. smily_headphones1.gif

From top to bottom on that rack I have:
Casio CZ-1

Korg MS2000

Waldorf Blofeld Keyboard and Mackie ONXY 1220i Firewire mixer

Casio VZ-1
DSI Mopho X4
Casio HZ-600

Not pictured is my Korg ESX-1 SD.

I'll probables be buying Korg's reissue of the Arp Odyssey if the price is reasonable. Because mmmmm, mono synth!
good for you if you wish to spend 1000$ more than what you should be paying for the same specs on a computer. Seriously, if you want to spend a ****load of money, go buy a 10,000$ gaming computer or something. I just advise you to stay AWAY from mac if you know what is good for you... Seriously, if you are just buying a mac to go on forums and try to brag to people who feel sorry for you because of your piece of **** decisions, by all means, BRAG AWAY! Don't really care. I'll stick by windows, an actually good, multi purpose platform.... Seriously, I have never seen a mac with an octa core 5.3 GHz processor with 36 GB of ram... Have you? I've seen windows and linux's like that... NO MACS!!!... Plus, lol! That's not a sports car! What do you have, a mustang? Lol! That's a muscle car! There is no sports cars for under 55k$.
Edited by DisCHORDDubstep - 3/27/14 at 7:48pm
post #137 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisCHORDDubstep View Post


good for you if you wish to spend 1000$ more than what you should be paying for the same specs on a computer. Seriously, if you want to spend a ****load of money, go buy a 10,000$ gaming computer or something. I just advise you to stay AWAY from mac if you know what is good for you... Seriously, if you are just buying a mac to go on forums and try to brag to people who feel sorry for you because of your piece of **** decisions, by all means, BRAG AWAY! Don't really care. I'll stick by windows, an actually good, multi purpose platform.... Seriously, I have never seen a mac with an octa core 5.3 GHz processor with 36 GB of ram... Have you? I've seen windows and linux's like that... NO MACS!!!... Plus, lol! That's not a sports car! What do you have, a mustang? Lol! That's a muscle car! There is no sports cars for under 55k$.

His point still stands: Macs are better for audio production. I don't own a Mac and even I can agree with that.


Edited by deciBel23 - 3/27/14 at 7:51pm
post #138 of 151
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimShadyMJ View Post

LOL! If I made a radio station, id name it dig-bic radio, hoping the announcer would mess up the pronunciation of the name.
post #139 of 151
Thread Starter 
I don't agree with any of it. Macs are inferior in all aspects to windows and Linux.
post #140 of 151
Thread Starter 
What is your artist name, Ben? I'll check you out. Mine is DisCHORDDubstep.
post #141 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisCHORDDubstep View Post

I don't agree with any of it. Macs are inferior in all aspects to windows and Linux.

Honestly if you think that, you're no better than Beats fanboys who think that Beats are superior to every headphone. It's just plain wrong to say that Windows is better for music production.

post #142 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by deciBel23 View Post
 

Honestly if you think that, you're no better than Beats fanboys who think that Beats are superior to every headphone. It's just plain wrong to say that Windows is better for music production.

 

But u guyzzz!!! He's a 15 year old producer using FL Studio!!! He knows ALL ABOUT music production!!

post #143 of 151

This is the first time I have ever seen a windows user claim that windows is better at everything over Mac OSX. It's usually the Mac users you have the superiority complex. Well, as someone who has used many different OS's over the past 2 years, they all excel in different things (not fond of OSX though, it was difficult to transition to, espeicially since I only had to use it for a week and learn fast). Of course, Windows is better at a lot more things compared to OSX and the niche Linux distros. When it comes to audio production, based off what I've read online, I'd have to give a slight advantage to the Macs. Thats not to take away from Windows and its suite of Audio related programs. Most people seem to prefer using OSX and its programs.

It's all preferences, features one needs and what one is comfortable with. Statistically speaking, you can't objectively say FL is better than LP X, or the other way around, simply because it's your opinion.

 

Hardware wise, yes Windows laptops are better. Much much better. However, does that make Macs a bad choice if you have the money? Absolutely not. I believe, that at a certain price point ($1000+), it's hard not to get a good computer (just don't buy HP or ACER). You will always be paying more than you should at that price range, but OEMs have to make a profit.

 

Software wise, again, it's up to the individual. What you're comfortable with, what you need/want. There is no right or wrong between Windows or OS X. Linux is a different story (always have either Windows or OS X installed as well).

 

Edit: Sorry if this is incoherent. I'm hungry, tired, and I have midterms next week so I'm a little stressed as well (this thread is great for just dicking around and blowing off some steam lol)


Edited by SlimShadyMJ - 3/27/14 at 8:24pm
post #144 of 151

From what I heard of a fellow head-fi'er, fanboys will be fanboys.

post #145 of 151

The funny thing is... really, at the end of the day, the OS's come largely down to two things: which do you PREFER to use, and which has the programs you need. The vast majority of applications are available on both, so which do you like better? I like OSX over Windows. It fits me better, I enjoy the workflow and how it's put together. That's why I have a Mac. You don't like OSX? Totally valid. Me trying to say everyone should like Apple is like me trying to say what everyone's favorite color or movie should be (for the record, the answer is dark blue and Snatch). 

 

And besides, comparing hardware point to point is fruitless anyway. It's like going "dude why did you get those Audeze LCD3's?? For a quarter of that price, my headphones have the same sensitivity, impedance, and frequency range!" It's the intangibles. Is a Macbook Pro worth twice as much as a Windows laptop with the same specs? Only to the extent that Stax SR009s are worth three and a half HD800s. And the same is true of, for example, Dell's new ultra high-end gaming line that costs three grand apiece. You get my drift?

post #146 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainHeaven View Post
 

From what I heard of a fellow head-fi'er, fanboys will be fanboys.

 

It's true, and I find it funny because on paper I should be the worst fanboy. I have an iPhone, an iPad, and a Macbook Pro. My VMODA M100's are plugged into a VMODA Vamp Verza that's strapped to my iPhone in its VMODA Metallo case. I should be the most insufferable Apple/VMODA fanboy on the planet. But... I didn't get 'em for that. I got 'em because I wanted 'em. They make me happy, so that's enough. I'm not wrong, and you're not wrong for having something else. 

post #147 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeGuyDude View Post
 

 

But u guyzzz!!! He's a 15 year old producer using FL Studio!!! He knows ALL ABOUT music production!!

Age is but a number (unless you're a women, in which case it's vitriol and you slap anyone who asks about it....). Plenty of people have been classified as musical geniuses before they even turned 15. They definitely knew a thing or two. I'm not saying DisCHORDDubstep is a genius, not saying he isn't (I know, I'm contradicting myself, but bare with me), but to say that just because of his age he can't know a lot about a certain subject is disingenuous. 

 

Hmm, maybe the best way to solve this is to have a fight, Smash bros style. You two in the ring, us on the outside, periodically throwing in random Windows and OS X based laptops in the ring. First one knocked out loses. You're free to smack each other over the head with whatever laptop you pick up (though you can only use laptops with your choice of OS). It can be a PPV event and can fund a huge meet or something.

post #148 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimShadyMJ View Post
 

Age is but a number (unless you're a women, in which case it's vitriol and you slap anyone who asks about it....). Plenty of people have been classified as musical geniuses before they even turned 15. They definitely knew a thing or two. I'm not saying DisCHORDDubstep is a genius, not saying he isn't (I know, I'm contradicting myself, but bare with me), but to say that just because of his age he can't know a lot about a certain subject is disingenuous. 

 

Hmm, maybe the best way to solve this is to have a fight, Smash bros style. You two in the ring, us on the outside, periodically throwing in random Windows and OS X based laptops in the ring. First one knocked out loses. You're free to smack each other over the head with whatever laptop you pick up (though you can only use laptops with your choice of OS). It can be a PPV event and can fund a huge meet or something.

 

LOL not gonna lie. I was a bouncer for seven years and I honestly do believe that some disagreements would best be settled with a fight. Not like a "I wanna break his face" thing, but two dudes who are yapping at each other just going outside, fight until they get tired, and then go "okay, that was totally not worth it, let's not do that again" and move on with life. It's primal, it's satisfying, and I think it's a lot less messy and annoying than constant verbal bickering. 

post #149 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimShadyMJ View Post
 

Age is but a number (unless you're a women, in which case it's vitriol and you slap anyone who asks about it....). Plenty of people have been classified as musical geniuses before they even turned 15. They definitely knew a thing or two. I'm not saying DisCHORDDubstep is a genius, not saying he isn't (I know, I'm contradicting myself, but bare with me), but to say that just because of his age he can't know a lot about a certain subject is disingenuous. 

 

Hmm, maybe the best way to solve this is to have a fight, Smash bros style. You two in the ring, us on the outside, periodically throwing in random Windows and OS X based laptops in the ring. First one knocked out loses. You're free to smack each other over the head with whatever laptop you pick up (though you can only use laptops with your choice of OS). It can be a PPV event and can fund a huge meet or something.

Nah, we should just play plain old smash bros. I used to be really good at Melee.

post #150 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by deciBel23 View Post
 

Nah, we should just play plain old smash bros. I used to be really good at Melee.

 

Aw man that's no fair. I'm AWFUL at those. 

 

Okay fine. Smash Bros it is, but I get to bring beer. If I'm gonna get whooped at a video game I can at least be drunk. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › Random Topic Audio Discussion Thread.