or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › = HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread = - Page 257

post #3841 of 17297
Quote:
Originally Posted by cute View Post
 

The HE-560 was supposed to be a combination of the HE-500 and the HE-6, but I don't hear the meaty/thick notes that I heard with the HE-500 or the HE-6.  IMO, they sound much more thin, with a lot of air.  I have had them on burn in since I got them, and they haven't changed.  I think even the HE-400 and HE-4 had a thicker sound than I am hearing with the HE-560....they remind me more of the Beyer T1, that I had twice, previously.  The mids and treble are clear, leaning on the bright side.  This is from my tube amp and 5wpc.  This has me interested in the HE-400i, the impressions from the Chicago show paints a picture of them as a HP somewhere between the HE-500 and HE-6! 

 

I do love the clear details and brighter airy sound......using the same cable on the Rev.1 and Ref.2, the preorder Rev.1, with their pads have slightly less clarity and air in the mids and treble to my ears.

 

I would have described the previous 560 as having a thick midrange, for me anyways...  The current one, not so much :p  The 400i is thicker and has a larger body compared to the 560 (both models). 

post #3842 of 17297

It seemed to me like the preorder 560 with the older pads was a good bit thicker as well.  The production 560 with old pads was approaching that, though.  The production 560 with new pads didn't seem very thick sounding at all.

post #3843 of 17297

Just a few more early impressions on the final release pair..

 

1. Earpads are bigger, no part of my ear touches the pads on the new release... I do find these headphones to be very comfortable.

 

2. These leak sound big time. I don't normally notice sound leakage because I am usually the one listening to them. My wife came over and asked me to turn the music down (and I wasn't listening very loudly!!!).  These leak more sound than any other headphone I have used. I compared them to the HD700/HD800...the HE-560 leak much more... the HE-560s are pretty much like wearing speakers next to your ears. I definitely wouldn't be able to use the HE-560s at work... I would disturb too many people.

 

3. These seem to be about as bright as the HD800s. I have more listing to do, but so far I do notice the treble being pretty similar between the two.  After listing to the PM-1s all day at work, these do seem bright.

post #3844 of 17297

The HE-560 is like a Chord Hugo :D.

 

I still has body compared to something like AKG, though. It has a great "you are there" kind of sound with excellent imaging for an ortho.

I felt the HE-4 was more subdued in the mids than the HE-560, so YMMV.

post #3845 of 17297

It appears to me that the "new" smell coming from inside the box of the Rev.2 HE560, is strongly present coming from inside the pads, may have something to do with the new material used!

post #3846 of 17297

If the pads play into the tuning of the headphones, maybe HFM should come out with pad options....Oppo PM-1 is a good example.  @HasturTheYellow confirms that Oppo uses pads to tune their headphones, they have leather, velour, and on the new PM-2 pleather, and each slightly alters the sound.  I for one, would like to have a set of the pads used on the Rev.1 preorder 560, as well as the new Rev.2 pads.  I've gone back to the Rev.1 pads, and I think the sound is more natural and realistic!

post #3847 of 17297

To be honest, I don't really hear too much thickness difference in sound(except when I was listening to LEHMANN+HD650 combo, I remember it was quite thick.) I guess my ears are not sensitive to that. The change that i really appreciate for the final version is the forward mid, it really bring out a much more lush and musical vocal performance.

post #3848 of 17297
Quote:
Originally Posted by jh7000 View Post
 

Just a few more early impressions on the final release pair..

 

1. Earpads are bigger, no part of my ear touches the pads on the new release... I do find these headphones to be very comfortable.

 

2. These leak sound big time. I don't normally notice sound leakage because I am usually the one listening to them. My wife came over and asked me to turn the music down (and I wasn't listening very loudly!!!).  These leak more sound than any other headphone I have used. I compared them to the HD700/HD800...the HE-560 leak much more... the HE-560s are pretty much like wearing speakers next to your ears. I definitely wouldn't be able to use the HE-560s at work... I would disturb too many people.

 

3. These seem to be about as bright as the HD800s. I have more listing to do, but so far I do notice the treble being pretty similar between the two.  After listing to the PM-1s all day at work, these do seem bright.


@Frank I was one of the initial beta testers of the HE-560, he and I discussed through PM, and Frank's impression was that the HE-560 sounded too thin....that has been increased with the Rev.2 release!

 

I currently have Mullard NOS tubes in my amp, and they are about as lush as it gets!


Edited by cute - 6/24/14 at 6:20pm
post #3849 of 17297
I got mine a couple of hours ago, a day sooner than I had hoped (Thanks DHL!). Holding off on any SQ comments until I can burn them in for a couple of days.
 
  • New cable feels much nicer, a LOT more flexible.
  • Presentation box is a huge improvement. At first, I thought the metal was scratched. It was just the protective plastic film over the metal.
  • Clamping force has definitely increased, but they still feel comfortable (at least for the short while I had them on). 
  • Old version would fit into the bonus travel case, but the new ones don’t really fit. It’s a free case, so it’s tough to complain too much.
  • *sigh* Teak cups do look a lot better. I spent a number of years as a carpenter and have an affinity for wood. But still, if I hadn’t seen the teak version, I’d think these look great.
  • One odd thing is the new version clearly resonates when you tap the cups or the metal head band. I checked the teak version, and it’s just a dull thud. Same with my HD650. But the new version clearly rings. Does anyone else notice this???
 
While I enjoy the genre from time to time, I don’t literally bang my head while listening to music. So I only notice it when I put on or adjust the new 560s. 
 
Should I worry that this could affect the SQ when listening at moderate volumes?????
post #3850 of 17297

I do notice a bit of ringing and resonance when tapping on them as well, It doesn't seem like an issue to me (and I never noticed until you pointed that out). Also, clamping force is the same on both IMO, it's just the pads and headband breaking in. Once I stretch them out and throw the old pads on they clamp the same.


Edited by JustinBieber - 6/24/14 at 6:56pm
post #3851 of 17297
Quote:
Originally Posted by cute View Post

The HE-560 was supposed to be a combination of the HE-500 and the HE-6, but I don't hear the meaty/thick notes that I heard with the HE-500 or the HE-6.  IMO, they sound much more thin, with a lot of air.  I have had them on burn in since I got them, and they haven't changed.  I think even the HE-400 and HE-4 had a thicker sound than I am hearing with the HE-560....they remind me more of the Beyer T1, that I had twice, previously.  The mids and treble are clear, leaning on the bright side.  This is from my tube amp and 5wpc.  This has me interested in the HE-400i, the impressions from the Chicago show paints a picture of them as a HP somewhere between the HE-500 and HE-6! 

I do love the clear details and brighter airy sound......using the same cable on the Rev.1 and Ref.2, the preorder Rev.1, with their pads have slightly less clarity and air in the mids and treble to my ears.

+1
The 400i was pretty resolving even compared to the 560. Lots of people had good things to say about both but especially that 400i. (Although Chicago seems to prefer a darker sound what with all the LCD-3s at the meeting and Ray Samuels in town.
post #3852 of 17297
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmedrz View Post

^ makes me want the 560 even more. I'm afraid they will be a bit dark for me.

I don't know anyone that would call these cans dark, and I listen to Grado 325is on a solid state currently.
post #3853 of 17297
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePianoMan View Post

I don't know anyone that would call these cans dark, and I listen to Grado 325is on a solid state currently.

I think he meant the 400i as being too dark for him. That's my concern as well.
Luckily there's 30 days for return biggrin.gif
The 560 will get their chance first, conveniently.
post #3854 of 17297

What kind of max headroom of watts would be ideal for this new can...just about 1 watt max for 560/400i to get decent volume knob dial-in ?


Edited by Lohb - 6/25/14 at 1:47am
post #3855 of 17297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lohb View Post
 

What kind of max headroom of watts would be ideal for this new can...just about 1 watt max for 560/400i ?

 

I'm not sure but the efficiency is 90dB/mW. 

 

For reference the efficiency ratings of the HE-400 and HE-500 respectively are 92.5dB/mW and 89dB/mW.

 

I'm in the market for a new amp and have been looking at the Lyr 2. It's got plenty of power as we all know but supposedly they tuned it to be versatile for use with more efficient 'phones -- like IEMs! This has me interested because it would sound great with a Hifiman planar but I would like to have good synergy with dynamic cans as well. However, I was looking at the Valhalla 2 as well since I don't need crazy volume (my FiiO E9 can get my HE-4 plenty loud) and it seems it may provide a more euphonic sound signature. 


Edited by Voohoo - 6/24/14 at 11:20pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › = HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =