or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › = HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread = - Page 74

post #1096 of 17297
Yeah, ten minutes is not nearly enough for a thorough review. But a lot can be said and learned in ten minutes. Think about the info Jerg fed us. That's exactly what I personally need and appreciate. I hate official reviews. Useless bunch of fancy words trying hard to avoid stepping on toes and advertising dollars. Exactly why I unsubscribed stereophile years ago. If you can't write your honest to God opinion, then what good are you?

By the way, why can't Oppo find a single person to send their headphone to, who can write a decent honest opinion without fear of future interests? Don't they trust their product? I mean, it's not gonna be best at everything, right?
Edited by zxc - 4/9/14 at 6:11pm
post #1097 of 17297
Quote:
Originally Posted by zxc View Post

Yeah, ten minutes is not nearly enough for a thorough review. But a lot can be said and learned in ten minutes. Think about the info Jerg fed us. That's exactly what I personally need and appreciate. I hate official reviews. Useless bunch of fancy words trying hard to avoid stepping on toes and advertising dollars. Exactly why I unsubscribed stereophile years ago. If you can't write your honest to God opinion, then what good are you?

By the way, why can't Oppo find a single person to send their headphone to, who can write a decent honest opinion without fear of future interests? Don't they trust their product? I mean, it's not gonna be best at everything, right?

 

I tend to try to wait at least a day or two before I post impressions...  Especially with the new toy effects that jump into play as well. 

 

Well, Frank recently got his (not more than a day ago actually) and has been giving some useful information.  It's kind of tough trying to see exactly what a headphone does wrong, especially a good one, right off the bat.  Sometimes you have to listen to it for days before you begin to realize, "hey, something is off here..."  And sometimes, that realization never comes. 

 

I did try to get my hands on a pair of Oppo, but it was in vain unfortunately.  I should be able to get my hands on the 560 sooner or later though. 


Edited by tinyman392 - 4/9/14 at 6:15pm
post #1098 of 17297
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerg View Post
 

I think at least they do match the pairs of wooden cups (or match the pieces of wood into pairs before they are processed into cups). It does look like there will be pretty big variations in lightness and hue (reddish <-> earthy) though.

 

Oh, I just assumed they'd do at least that much (match wood per pair of HE-560s).  It would not be good if they didn't.  As to variations, I guess that's just the nature of the wood they chose.  Looks good to me, but I still think there'll be some swapping going on ;)

post #1099 of 17297
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThurstonX View Post
 

 

Oh, I just assumed they'd do at least that much (match wood per pair of HE-560s).  It would not be good if they didn't.  As to variations, I guess that's just the nature of the wood they chose.  Looks good to me, but I still think there'll be some swapping going on ;)

Well a very dark and very light pair of wood cups would be kinda cool too, Ying and Yang etc.

post #1100 of 17297
Quote:
Originally Posted by zxc View Post

 
By the way, why can't Oppo find a single person to send their headphone to, who can write a decent honest opinion without fear of future interests? Don't they trust their product? I mean, it's not gonna be best at everything, right?

Maybe if you read the Oppo P1 thread you would see some of my early comments on the P1.:biggrin: 

post #1101 of 17297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank I View Post

Maybe if you read the Oppo P1 thread you would see some of my early comments on the P1.biggrin.gif  
You're one of the few people in the possession of both cans. I'm looking forward to reading your useful opinions and comparisons, which may not be possible, at least not for a while, as I see that you're preparing a professional review for elsewhere. Anything helps though, so thank you.

I just wish Oppo sent Jerg, or someone like him, a pair as well. I find his fast, detailed, no BS reviews extremely helpful. I realize such freedom is not afforded to most professional reviewers due to the obvious conflict of interest: Bash a product, say by-by to ever getting a product from that manufacturer again...
Edited by zxc - 4/10/14 at 4:54am
post #1102 of 17297
Quote:
Originally Posted by zxc View Post

...
By the way, why can't Oppo find a single person to send their headphone to, who can write a decent honest opinion without fear of future interests? Don't they trust their product? I mean, it's not gonna be best at everything, right?
Because there will be a mountain of complaints on the type of connection used on bottom of the oppo cups...
Edited by Maxx134 - 4/9/14 at 8:09pm
post #1103 of 17297
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmoe View Post
 

 

I disagree, it takes time to adjust to a certain sound signature. And if he wants to take his time then he should.


It would be better to evaluate the phones before (not after) he adjusts to the sound signatures.  When I listen to a speaker system, I find that the first 45 seconds tells me more than the next three hours of listening.

post #1104 of 17297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headphoner View Post
 


It would be better to evaluate the phones before (not after) he adjusts to the sound signatures.  When I listen to a speaker system, I find that the first 45 seconds tells me more than the next three hours of listening.

 

But it takes time to realize what weaknesses a really good set has.  So I disagree here.  An initial impression will either be all positive, or all negative.  Getting a good solid impression in the first few minutes hours of listening is a tough thing to do as they tend to be biased.  Not saying it can't be done, but what it is is essentially judging a book by its cover. 

post #1105 of 17297
So the headphone. Is ready now ;D
Jerg, you happy with the new one?
Baffle fix fixed correctly, no sound change, etc.
post #1106 of 17297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headphoner View Post
 


It would be better to evaluate the phones before (not after) he adjusts to the sound signatures.  When I listen to a speaker system, I find that the first 45 seconds tells me more than the next three hours of listening.

This is not always the case, although I do know what you're trying to say. In some cases, this can be very, very true. Your initial gut reaction or impression may in fact be the most accurate one. Overtime, you may end up trying to convince yourself one way or another....it can swing both ways I think.

post #1107 of 17297

The wood variation does make it more interesting and does give a headphone more character, though it does concern me a bit reliability wise, especially with Hifiman's QC reputation. It was the same when I had my Grado RS1s and very few of them had the same colour and that is why I liked mine in particular because I they looked better than some other RS1s out there!

post #1108 of 17297
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyman392 View Post
 

 

But it takes time to realize what weaknesses a really good set has.  So I disagree here.  An initial impression will either be all positive, or all negative.  Getting a good solid impression in the first few minutes hours of listening is a tough thing to do as they tend to be biased.  Not saying it can't be done, but what it is is essentially judging a book by its cover. 


I am not arguing against long-term listening.  I am only saying that you can learn a lot in the first 10 minutes--before you get used to the sound.  And we are asking for initial impressions, not final impressions.  I agree that it can take hours, days, or weeks to become aware of some weakness.  That's the reason for a final review to be written after extended listening.  But an initial impression would help satisfy our raving, salivating need to know.  So out of compassion, an initial review should be provided and later an final review should be written.

post #1109 of 17297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headphoner View Post
 


I am not arguing against long-term listening.  I am only saying that you can learn a lot in the first 10 minutes--before you get used to the sound.  And we are asking for initial impressions, not final impressions.  I agree that it can take hours, days, or weeks to become aware of some weakness.  That's the reason for a final review to be written after extended listening.  But an initial impression would help satisfy our raving, salivating need to know.  So out of compassion, an initial review should be provided and later an final review should be written.

 

Or you can just stop acting like impatient children and let the man do his work properly.

post #1110 of 17297
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerg View Post
 

Well a very dark and very light pair of wood cups would be kinda cool too, Ying and Yang etc.

OK, so show us a picture of the socks you're wearing today. ;)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › = HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =