Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › How to play SACD DSD .iso file in Windows PC ?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

How to play SACD DSD .iso file in Windows PC ?

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 
Hi all,

Can anyone please suggest me what is the software that I must use to successfully play .iso file that I have created from SACD DSD disc ?

I have tried to attach it using Daemon tools but it is not recognizable.
post #2 of 14
Are you trying to play it in native DSD or converting it to FLAC?

If you want to do it easily you could use JRiver. It's not free but they offer a trial I believe.

If you want to do it for free you can use Foobar. This is going to require setting it up and I'm not sure to proper steps for that. I'm sure you can find a guide somewhere on the internet.
post #3 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioking59 View Post

Are you trying to play it in native DSD or converting it to FLAC?

If you want to do it easily you could use JRiver. It's not free but they offer a trial I believe.

If you want to do it for free you can use Foobar. This is going to require setting it up and I'm not sure to proper steps for that. I'm sure you can find a guide somewhere on the internet.

Ah ok, I'll give it a try.
Does in this case I will need to buy separate hardware for that ?
post #4 of 14

No hardware needed.  If you're using foobar, you need only the various software plugins like foo_input_sacd,

post #5 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watcherq View Post

No hardware needed.  If you're using foobar, you need only the various software plugins like foo_input_sacd,

Cool, thanks man !
post #6 of 14

No prob.  Note that the DSD->PCM is a little demanding on this.  On normal Intel i3, i5 processors are fine.  On duo core Atom processors, not enough; you would need a DAC that does DSD.  Nowadays there quite a few of them like the iFI, iDSD Nano.

post #7 of 14

A dual core atom can on Foobar2k can playback SACD ISO DSD but only in stereo mode. It chokes if you try to play multichannel SACDs.

post #8 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watcherq View Post

No prob.  Note that the DSD->PCM is a little demanding on this.  On normal Intel i3, i5 processors are fine.  On duo core Atom processors, not enough; you would need a DAC that does DSD.  Nowadays there quite a few of them like the iFI, iDSD Nano.

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrallite View Post

A dual core atom can on Foobar2k can playback SACD ISO DSD but only in stereo mode. It chokes if you try to play multichannel SACDs.

Cool, many thanks for the explanation again people.

My PC is core i5 already :-)

I'm thinking to upgrade my Sound Card into Asus Xonar STX http://www.asus.com/Sound_Cards_and_DigitaltoAnalog_Converters/Xonar_Essence_STX/ would that helps in terms of sound quality to play SACD / DSD or even Blu Ray Audio ?
post #9 of 14

I'm confused, first it is not possible to record SACD DSD output, stereo or multi-channel. It will be converted to analog  in SACD player or sent to pre amp over HDMI for conversion. That leaves us with  DSD downloads in stereo only I believe. Downloading these and then converting to analog is where the process/procedure/equipment eludes me. So far, I've only come across one solution, a DSD stereo DAC, there a few out there now. Some have software for PC. Thing is, where do I find DSD music to download? And where's the multi channel DSD?

post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterling1 View Post
 

I'm confused, first it is not possible to record SACD DSD output, stereo or multi-channel. It will be converted to analog  in SACD player or sent to pre amp over HDMI for conversion. That leaves us with  DSD downloads in stereo only I believe. Downloading these and then converting to analog is where the process/procedure/equipment eludes me. So far, I've only come across one solution, a DSD stereo DAC, there a few out there now. Some have software for PC. Thing is, where do I find DSD music to download? And where's the multi channel DSD?

 

Sony Playstation 3s with 3.55 firmware can take SACDs and make digital copies of them via a program called SACD Ripper. You can make ISO, or DSDIFF, or DSF file outputs, all of which the Foobar 2k player can read and playback (convert to PCM) with the SACD foobar plugin. Also you can burn a copy of the ISO to a standard DVD and play it on any SACD player that does not use the pit-reading-method (IIRC only Oppo DVD players, and the Oppo BDP-80 and BDP-83 can playback these ISOs as pure DSD through HDMI or analog outputs).

 

Very few online retailers offer DSD downloads, so most people just buy SACDs and rip them with an old PS3. I actually bought an old PS3 for that purpose, and managed to archive some pretty rare albums like Mariah Carey's #1s, Titanic Soundtrack, Ayumi Hamasaki's My Story, Beyonce's Survivor, Shania Twain's Up!, and Globe Sessions by Sheryl Crow. Most of these are so rare that I haven't even seen them pop up on torrent sites yet.


Edited by astrallite - 3/2/14 at 12:54pm
post #11 of 14

Right now, DSD downloads (this covers .dff, .dsf, .wsd) are not that common, especially not on iTunes and its equivalent.  However, there are quite a few niche retailers including 2L.no, Blue Coast Records, Acoustic Sound's super hirez, Opus 3 Records and Nativedsd.com.  Again their genre is not *that* wide, mostly classical or Jazz, but then again, I remembered that was how CD started off.

 

There *are* multi-channel DSD for purchase/download and there are players like Exasound's e28 that plays the multi-channel back without down-channeling into stereo.


Edited by Watcherq - 3/3/14 at 12:45am
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watcherq View Post
 

Right now, DSD downloads (this covers .dff, .dsf, .wsd) are not that common, especially not on iTunes and its equivalent.  However, there are quite a few niche retailers including 2L.no, Blue Coast Records, Acoustic Sound's super hirez, Opus 3 Records and Nativedsd.com.  Again their genre is not *that* wide, mostly classical or Jazz, but then again, I remembered that was how CD started off.

 

There *are* multi-channel DSD for purchase/download and there are players like Exasound's e28 that plays the multi-channel back without down-channeling into stereo.


I think the cheapest way to play DSD from computer to HT would be through a HT receiver, heck you can buy a Sony STR-5800ES for a 1/3 less than the Exasound e28 and it does more, a lot more.


Edited by sterling1 - 3/5/14 at 1:01pm
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterling1 View Post
 


I think the cheapest way to play DSD from computer to HT would be through a HT receiver, heck you can buy a Sony STR-5800ES for a 1/3 less than the Exasound e28 and it does more, a lot more.

 

Most receivers can't play multiple inputs at the same time though. The reason we want to rip it to the computer is not just for archival purposes (as most SACDs are no longer produced, so there's no way to rebuy them) but also for convenience, watch youtube, play games, and also listen to our DSD collection :D


Edited by astrallite - 3/5/14 at 6:13pm
post #14 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrallite View Post

Most receivers can't play multiple inputs at the same time though. The reason we want to rip it to the computer is not just for archival purposes (as most SACDs are no longer produced, so there's no way to rebuy them) but also for convenience, watch youtube, play games, and also listen to our DSD collection biggrin.gif

Wow,that's a truly home theater kind of device ;-)
Thanks for the suggestion mate.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Computer Audio
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › How to play SACD DSD .iso file in Windows PC ?