New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

FLAC files and iTunes

post #1 of 23
Thread Starter 
I know FLAC files are the best for sound quality, but I can't get iTunes to open any as FLACs. For the time being I converted them to 320kbps mp3s. I have the default open with iTunes set and I can't drag the files into iTunes either. Help!
post #2 of 23
That's because they don't support FLAC, they have their own format for lossless called ALAC
Edited by Byrnie - 2/26/14 at 7:53pm
post #3 of 23
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrnie View Post

Thats becuase support don't FLAC they have their own format for lossless called ALAC
Ok yeah. Luckily I have this nice converter that. Supports it. Sweet
post #4 of 23
Thread Starter 
They still won't open in iTunes as an ALAC
post #5 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtisngl View Post

They still won't open in iTunes as an ALAC

 

Are you sure you have them converted properly? My own ALAC files are playing just fine on iTunes. 

 

Right click the file in iTunes and click on Get Info. Does it say Apple Lossless under the file format?

post #6 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snips View Post
 

 

Are you sure you have them converted properly? My own ALAC files are playing just fine on iTunes. 

 

Right click the file in iTunes and click on Get Info. Does it say Apple Lossless under the file format?

On a side note, can iTunes convert from FLAC to ALAC?

post #7 of 23

I don't really use iTunes much since I prefer Foobar, but I don't think I've come across a FLAC > ALAC converter in iTunes before. 

post #8 of 23
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snips View Post

Are you sure you have them converted properly? My own ALAC files are playing just fine on iTunes. 

Right click the file in iTunes and click on Get Info. Does it say Apple Lossless under the file format?
It won't even go into iTunes. It says I properties though that it is an ALAC file and is a .alac that opens with iTunes.
post #9 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtisngl View Post


It won't even go into iTunes. It says I properties though that it is an ALAC file and is a .alac that opens with iTunes.

 

So the file extension is .alac? If so, try changing them to .m4a and see if you can drag them into iTunes. 

post #10 of 23
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snips View Post

So the file extension is .alac? If so, try changing them to .m4a and see if you can drag them into iTunes. 
Is m4a lossless as well?
post #11 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snips View Post
 

 

So the file extension is .alac? If so, try changing them to .m4a and see if you can drag them into iTunes. 

I don't think that will work as iTunes won't know how to decode the file given it's still encoded as a FLAC file but labeled as an .m4a.

post #12 of 23
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrnie View Post

I don't think that will work as iTunes won't know how to decode the file given it's still encoded as a FLAC file but labeled as an .m4a.
The label isn't changed. They're actually convert them. To the point where my computer doesn't know what they open with and I have to tell it to open with iTunes
post #13 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtisngl View Post


Is m4a lossless as well?

 

My own ALAC files are all .m4a. According to the wiki page and several other sites ALAC files should be .m4a

 

I tried renaming several of my ALAC files to .alac and I can't drag them into iTunes as well. .m4a worked fine though. 

post #14 of 23
Thread Starter 
M4a worked for me too. Are they still as good as lossless FLAC or ALAC?
post #15 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtisngl View Post

M4a worked for me too. Are they still as good as lossless FLAC or ALAC?

 

There's no difference. M4a is supposed to be the container for ALAC. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home