New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Chord Hugo - Page 92

post #1366 of 10554
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6RS View Post
 

Hi

I got the HUGO. To connect the iPhone, a lightning USB micro B cable would come handy. I could not find such a cable, but it may exist.

Anybody knows where I could purchase such a cable?

Cheers!

 

I doubt if it exist. Before Apple or others make it you still can use a lightning CCK and a USB A to micro B cable.

post #1367 of 10554

Phil - for the SPDIF, are you still looking at fixed connector options to resolve the lack of space around the Coax? 

post #1368 of 10554
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjw241142 View Post
 

Phil - for the SPDIF, are you still looking at fixed connector options to resolve the lack of space around the Coax? 

As I said, the only option left : 

post #1369 of 10554
I just bought a RSA predator and now I'm wondering if I should have gone all out and got the Hugo. I'm sure its worth every penny but it is so hard to resist buying the best money can buy while on this site. Can a mod ban me so I can stop spending money?

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
Edited by vegasf1 - 4/1/14 at 5:47am
post #1370 of 10554
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmichels View Post
 

 

So jayboy76, you feed the HUGO with your AK240 ? 

 

- Is it true that then you can't anymore play native DSD from the AK240 ? (I understand that the DSD cannot be streamed-out through Optical). So, what happen if you play a DSD file AK240>HUGO>LCD XC ?  Is it converted to PCM or does it just don't play ? 

 

- Is there a real setp-up in SQ between  AK240>LCD XC  v/s  AK240>HUGO>LCD XC ?  How will you describe the difference ?  is it only a matter of available power ? 

 

thanks for your advices ...

Yes you are right bmichels, the optical cable cannot carry DSD streams. It just cannot stream it and therefore no sound.

 

Alot of portable amps can increase power to the lcd-xcs compared to the ak240. That said, the ak240 is no slouch either when paired with the xcs. I can drive my xcs on the ak240 to ear piercing volumes on acoustic tracks and only hit around 64/75 on the volume dial. That said, I shopped around lots in demoing the available portable amps (good thing about the Singapore market is many shops have demo amps) and the Hugo sound signature has to be heard to be understood. Not only is there a power step up but instrument separation and soundstage is definitely improved over the ak240, imaging is wider and the most observable change is the musicality of the tracks, the Hugo just makes the music less clinical and more intimate for soft passages and wild for the fast paces, if I make any sense at all! 

 

That said, I noticed no distinct discernable difference outputting same tracks from the ak240 to my westones 4Rs and outputting from the Hugo. Though I must say I did not spend lots of time ABing on iems...the hugo was solely for my cans. The ak240 is really a great implementation for iems and my travel go-tos for all my flights...for the portability of the Hugos, its just constrained to roaming around my house especially when I'm beside the missus in bed...nothing beats having that level of audio bliss under the comforters!


Edited by jayboy76 - 4/1/14 at 5:34am
post #1371 of 10554
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayboy76 View Post
 

Yes you are right bmichels, the optical cable cannot carry DSD streams. It just cannot stream it and therefore no sound.

 

Alot of portable amps can increase power to the lcd-xcs compared to the ak240. That said, the ak240 is no slouch either when paired with the xcs. I can drive my xcs on the ak240 to ear piercing volumes on acoustic tracks and only hit around 64/75 on the volume dial. That said, I shopped around lots in demoing the available portable amps (good thing about the Singapore market is many shops have demo amps) and the Hugo sound signature has to be heard to be understood. Not only is there a power step up but instrument separation and soundstage is definitely improved over the ak240, imaging is wider and the most observable change is the musicality of the tracks, the Hugo just makes the music less clinical and more intimate for soft passages and wild for the fast paces, if I make any sense at all! 

 

Thank you for your precise answer.  

 

I believe that what you experience with the HUGO is more the fact of the HUGO's DAC than the AMP part of the HUGO ? right ?

 

So, if this is the case, then you cannot go "Line-Out of the AK240 --> Hugo Analog input" . This will have allowed to play DSD from the AK240->HUGO. 

 

 (have you tried to compare "AK240 Digital-> Hugo" to  "AK240 Line-Out --> Hugo Analog input") 

 

 

RAHHHH... we need a Sony ZX2 (DSD support & 256 Gb) to feed the HUGO through USB and get full DSD support ...


Edited by bmichels - 4/1/14 at 5:41am
post #1372 of 10554
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayboy76 View Post

Yes you are right bmichels, the optical cable cannot carry DSD streams. It just cannot stream it and therefore no sound.

Alot of portable amps can increase power to the lcd-xcs compared to the ak240. That said, the ak240 is no slouch either when paired with the xcs. I can drive my xcs on the ak240 to ear piercing volumes on acoustic tracks and only hit around 64/75 on the volume dial. That said, I shopped around lots in demoing the available portable amps (good thing about the Singapore market is many shops have demo amps) and the Hugo sound signature has to be heard to be understood. Not only is there a power step up but instrument separation and soundstage is definitely improved over the ak240, imaging is wider and the most observable change is the musicality of the tracks, the Hugo just makes the music less clinical and more intimate for soft passages and wild for the fast paces, if I make any sense at all! 

That said, I noticed no distinct discernable difference outputting same tracks from the ak240 to my westones 4Rs and outputting from the Hugo. Though I must say I did not spend lots of time ABing on iems...the hugo was solely for my cans. The ak240 is really a great implementation for iems and my travel go-tos for all my flights...for the portability of the Hugos, its just constrained to roaming around my house especially when I'm beside the missus in bed...nothing beats having that level of audio bliss under the comforters!

Optical cable can transfer max 24 bit / 196 KHz and so far I know only one company can produce this optical Cale ,
It is sys concept from Canada
DSD can play through micro USB hi res on Hugo
That's mean no chance play DSD from ak 240 through Hugo , if only with optical cable
Any idea how is possible to play DSD file from ak 240 pair with Hugo ?
post #1373 of 10554
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicHolyGhost View Post

Hey folks, when powering up Hugo in bypass mode, the vol is set to green at first. I have found that it is better to increase the vol by a few colors if I am going to use the RCA out for desktop amp..so to get the proper 2.1v line level.

 

Is there actually anypoint in doing all the initial pressing to get into bypass mode? 

 

From the Robert Watts interview: "Now the volume control - pressing the cross feed button at start-up does not eliminate the volume control, it only sets it up so that it has exactly the same gain as Qute. I added this so that I could do careful listening tests with Qute."

 

Can't remember where but someone commented that they got better results by reducing the volume slightly (to blue, IIRC)- but I think that was to a preamp for speaker use.  More 'range' on the preamps volume control and slightly better sound too

post #1374 of 10554
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hifi Nutter View Post


I am disappointed that's Hugo only make RCA hole bigger , not make COAX input hole bigger confused.gif
post #1375 of 10554

From the pic not sure there is any more space for enlarging the holes lol! Any more probably the front might fall apart. I think Chord need to redesign the layout altogether, saying getting rid of that pointless extra 3.5mm jack for starter.

post #1376 of 10554
Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyOne View Post
 

From the pic not sure there is any more space for enlarging the holes lol! Any more probably the front might fall apart. I think Chord need to redesign the layout altogether, saying getting rid of that pointless extra 3.5mm jack for starter.

...And changing this volume knob design.

post #1377 of 10554
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmichels View Post
 

...And changing this volume knob design.

 

Normal-size usb input (even if it increases chassis thickness slightly), less fiddly on/off (ideally with auto off option).  A subtle sub bass boost wouldn't go amiss either.


Edited by BrainFood - 4/1/14 at 10:32am
post #1378 of 10554
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudi0504 View Post


I am disappointed that's Hugo only make RCA hole bigger , not make COAX input hole bigger confused.gif

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmichels View Post
 

...And changing this volume knob design.

AND the recessed 3.5mm jacks and on/off switch...what were they thinking? :rolleyes:

post #1379 of 10554

@hifinutter

thanks alot for your pics bro

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmichels View Post
 

 

Only one solution left :  ;)

 


hahahahaha that will broke the 1400 pounds warranty kwkowowokwokwk.

 

 


yes the volume knob is not so durable it make of some jelly / silicon that will degrade over times. why dont make a super durable one


Edited by hugoboss - 4/1/14 at 7:20am
post #1380 of 10554

.


Edited by seeteeyou - 11/4/14 at 8:55pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum