Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › iFi Audio "Mini" desktop line discussion thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

iFi Audio "Mini" desktop line discussion thread

post #1 of 97
Thread Starter 

I was looking through the following CES 2014 coverage and it seems that iFi Audio is planning on launching a new traditional desktop enclosure line of components, starting with the iDSD desktop DAC/Headphone-amp/Preamp.

 

 

http://www.hifiplus.com/articles/ces-2014-headphone-earphones-and-related-electronics-part-2/?page=3

 

Haven't noticed it mentioned here yet so I figured I'd pass along.  Their micro and nano series components seem to have had good impressions so I look forward to seeing what more is to come in their larger components.

post #2 of 97

Hello,

 

You asked....we answered:

 

Fully-Balanced DAC (USB/SPDIF/AES-EBU/Bluetooth)
PowerSource: External DC 15V/2A
Formats: 44.1/48/88.2/96/176.4/192/384KHz PCM
  2.8/3.1/5.6/6.2MHz DSD
  DXD
  Quad Core Dual Mono Bit Perfect DSD, PCM & DXD DAC by Burr Brown (4-DAC Chip; 8-Channel; 16-Signals)
Filter: PCM: Standard/Minimum Phase digital, Bitperfect 1, Bitperfect 2; selectable
  DSD: Standard/Extended Range/Minimal analogue, selectable
  DXD: Bitperfect Processing, fixed analogue filter
Input: USB 3.0
  compatible with iPhone,iPod, iPad and Android Devices USB-OTG#
  SPDIF RCA/Optical (only PCM up to 192KHz), only active if USB disconnected
  AES-EBU Balanced / BNC SPDIF Unbalanced (selectable)
  Bluetooth with aptX 
Output XLR True Balanced Audio (4V Output)
  Audio RCA (2V)
  6.3mm Headphone
  3.5mm adapter included
Volume Control: Balanced 4-Way precision analogue, can be bypassed for Line Outs
Dynamic Range: >119dB
THD &N (Line) < 0.001%
HP Out Gain: 0dB, 10dB and 20dB user-selectable
THD &N (HP 100mW) < 0.003%
Output Power (16R):  > 3000mW
   
# requires Camera Connection Kit or OTG adapter cable

 

This is the premlin specs - so if there is anything you would like to see, chime in. You never know....


Edited by iFi audio - 1/30/14 at 5:21am
post #3 of 97
Thread Starter 

Thanks for the feedback.  I'm surprised this didn't catch more attention around here given the popularity of the smaller components.  This seems like it could be a promising all-in-one, despite a lot of competition in the segment.  But I'm guessing it's also a prototype being that there are no markings or anything on the case.

post #4 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWahl View Post
 

Thanks for the feedback.  I'm surprised this didn't catch more attention around here given the popularity of the smaller components.  This seems like it could be a promising all-in-one, despite a lot of competition in the segment.  But I'm guessing it's also a prototype being that there are no markings or anything on the case.

 

There are actually markings because it has an uber cool front plate....see below!

 

*

 

There are 'hair's width' laser holes etched in the front plate. So the LED projects on the front display but when off, it looks like an ordinary front aluminium faceplate.

 

show pics here:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.625896377446108.1073741863.460963790606035&type=3

 

Enjoy!

post #5 of 97

I would like to hear some feedback from those users that use the I USB, and Gemeni cable....specifically the Gemeni cable between the I USB and I Link.  I found in a review of the IFI products, the reviewer liked the sound/soundstage better without the separate ground from the I USB, but using another USB cable from the right output of the I USB.  Just looking for some feedback as to what cables you use from computer to I USB, and I USB and beyond.  Right now I am liking the sound of my old USB cable, prior to purchase of IFI gears, in place of the Gemeni cable.  Personal preference, but I am trying to squeeze out the best sound I can.  IMO, I hear a bigger soundstage and same quality sound without the Gemeni in the chain.

 

Response would be greatly appreciated!  Hope you enjoy your IFI gear as much as I do!

post #6 of 97
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by iFi audio View Post
 

 

There are actually markings because it has an uber cool front plate....see below!

 

*

 

There are 'hair's width' laser holes etched in the front plate. So the LED projects on the front display but when off, it looks like an ordinary front aluminium faceplate.

 

show pics here:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.625896377446108.1073741863.460963790606035&type=3

 

Enjoy!

Very nice.  I wouldn't have caught that from the other picture.  That Mini I-tube pre looks interesting as well.  I can't help but wonder if there will be a revised I-link with the USB 3.0, or if the new Mini iDSD's USB implementation is at least equivalent to the standalone I-link.  I'm assuming the USB 3.0 is to accommodate the higher bandwidth required for the 6.2mhz DSD.  I'm not in much need of DSD myself but it is good to know it's futureproof in that regard.

post #7 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWahl View Post
 

Very nice.  I wouldn't have caught that from the other picture.  That Mini I-tube pre looks interesting as well.  I can't help but wonder if there will be a revised I-link with the USB 3.0, or if the new Mini iDSD's USB implementation is at least equivalent to the standalone I-link.  I'm assuming the USB 3.0 is to accommodate the higher bandwidth required for the 6.2mhz DSD.  I'm not in much need of DSD myself but it is good to know it's futureproof in that regard.

 

Mini iTube - we'll let you know as soon as things are close to being soup.

 

The iDSD's SPDIF of course does not have JET and High SPDIF output as on the iLINK. The SPDIF out on the iDSD is mainly for the convenience of sharing one USB Source with the iDSD and with an existing SPDIF equipped DAC, at high, but not ultimate quality. It is easily comparable in quality with many USB->SPDIF converters around the price class of the iDSD.


The iLink is fully dedicated to being a pure SPDIF Source and uses pretty much the best and most extreme solutions for SPDIF in order to extract every possible iota of sound quality from the most DAC's.
 

USB3.0 is not needed for DXD and double-speed DSD, but it is the coming standard and hence we have included USB3.0 connectors in all new product developments.

post #8 of 97
Thread Starter 

Seems promising.  I'll certainly be keeping an eye on both of them.  The iDsd looks like it could be pricey on paper with the 4 DAC chips and fancy drilled plate display but I'm hoping it keeps a similar relative value to the smaller components.  $1000 to $1500 seems fair based on what's being offered on paper at least.  I think the next logical step in the future would be a dedicated headphone amp/preamp.  Perhaps tube hybrid and/or balanced to take full advantage of the iDsd output.

post #9 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWahl View Post
 

Seems promising.  I'll certainly be keeping an eye on both of them.  The iDsd looks like it could be pricey on paper with the 4 DAC chips and fancy drilled plate display but I'm hoping it keeps a similar relative value to the smaller components.  $1000 to $1500 seems fair based on what's being offered on paper at least.  I think the next logical step in the future would be a dedicated headphone amp/preamp.  Perhaps tube hybrid and/or balanced to take full advantage of the iDsd output.

 

Thanks - rest assured it will be a bit extra special.

 

For the headphone amp, take another look at the FaceBook post...c'mon, we cant spill all the beans!

post #10 of 97
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by iFi audio View Post
 

 

Thanks - rest assured it will be a bit extra special.

 

For the headphone amp, take another look at the FaceBook post...c'mon, we cant spill all the beans!

Very sneaky haha.  I'm surprised I missed that.  And yes I suppose some mystery is a good thing and patience a virtue.  Timing of product launches can be critical sometimes.  Great times to be a headphone enthusiast though for sure.

post #11 of 97

Sounds like the iDSD mini has a pretty hefty amp. Will it have the 3D and bass boost of the micro iCAN?

 

Edit: ... just looked at the pics and there will actually be a mini iCAN as well. I guess no processing on the iDSD then.


Edited by KmanChu - 2/14/14 at 5:50am
post #12 of 97
I suppose it will be suitable for sensitive IEMs as well?
post #13 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by KmanChu View Post
 

Sounds like the iDSD mini has a pretty hefty amp. Will it have the 3D and bass boost of the micro iCAN?

 

Edit: ... just looked at the pics and there will actually be a mini iCAN as well. I guess no processing on the iDSD then.

 

Hi,

 

No the iFi product has digital processing but rest assured, the Mini series - iDSD/iCAN/iTUBE will all be a bit special.

 

Watch this space...

post #14 of 97
subs-!
post #15 of 97
any update on these products?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › iFi Audio "Mini" desktop line discussion thread