With my age-old Creative 5.1 set is showings its age and wearing out, I've decided to upgrade my desktop sound system from the ground up, starting with the DAC and amp.
I will be coming from a FiiO E17, which has worked faithfully and without complaint for over a year now. I'm trying to keep the combined cost for a DAC and amp under $300, but will be flexible up to $400 given the right argument. I have no preference of solid state or tubes.
I'm looking to power a respectable / quality 5.1 or 7.1 desktop speaker setup and full size headphones. Current headphones include a newly-purchased HD600, a couple SOMiC and Takstar circumaurals, Philips Citiscape Uptowns, and a Vsonic IEM. This year I'll be adding an HE-400, a CIEM from Cosmic Ears, and a 5.1 or 7.1 setup of some flavor to replace my current speakers.
Current contenders are:
- JDS Labs O2 + ODAC ($280)
- Mayflower O2 + ODAC ($280)
- Schiit Magni + Modi ($200)
- Schiit Vali + Loki ($270)
- Aune T1 24bit DAC/Amp ($160)
- Aune X1 Mk2 DAC/Amp ($210)
- Audio-GD NFB 15.32 external DAC/Amp ($255)
- Audio-GD NFB 11.32 external DAC/Amp ($340)
- Yulong DAH-1 mk2 (unavailable?)
Are there any others I should be looking at? Any of the above stand out more than others?
Edited by BBEG - 1/4/14 at 11:18pm