or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Looking for $200-$300 Headphones + $100-$200 DAC/Amp
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Looking for $200-$300 Headphones + $100-$200 DAC/Amp

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 

Budget: $200-$300 Headphones, $100-$200 DAC/Amp.
Source: Desktop Laptop, iPhone.
Requirements for Isolation: Doesn't matter, looking for a good pair of headphones for home use only.
Preferred Type of Headphone: Full-sized, over ear.
Preferred tonal balance: Balanced 
Past headphones: ATH-M50s
Preferred Music: Electronic, K-pop, Rock, Pop, Rap

post #2 of 12
Thread Starter 

bump

post #3 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleRABBIT View Post
 

Budget: $200-$300 Headphones, $100-$200 DAC/Amp.
Source: Desktop Laptop, iPhone.
Requirements for Isolation: Doesn't matter, looking for a good pair of headphones for home use only.
Preferred Type of Headphone: Full-sized, over ear.
Preferred tonal balance: Balanced 
Past headphones: ATH-M50s
Preferred Music: Electronic, K-pop, Rock, Pop, Rap

Audio Technica ATH-A900X closed headphones, $220

Hifiman Velour ear pads, $10+shipping

FiiO E10 USB-DAC-Amp, $75

post #4 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleRABBIT View Post
 

Budget: $200-$300 Headphones, $100-$200 DAC/Amp.
Source: Desktop Laptop, iPhone.
Requirements for Isolation: Doesn't matter, looking for a good pair of headphones for home use only.
Preferred Type of Headphone: Full-sized, over ear.
Preferred tonal balance: Balanced 
Past headphones: ATH-M50s
Preferred Music: Electronic, K-pop, Rock, Pop, Rap

Hello,

 

The Philips X1 with an after market cable + FiiO E17K will do you good or you can go for the AKG K712 Pro + Schiit Magni & Modi :)

 

Hope it helps,

Billson 

post #5 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleAngel View Post
 

Audio Technica ATH-A900X closed headphones, $220

Hifiman Velour ear pads, $10+shipping

FiiO E10 USB-DAC-Amp, $75

Why velour ear pads?
 


Quote:
Originally Posted by BillsonChang007 View Post
 

Hello,

 

The Philips X1 with an after market cable + FiiO E17K will do you good or you can go for the AKG K712 Pro + Schiit Magni & Modi :)

 

Hope it helps,

Billson 


I think the K172s are a bit out of my budget. 

Also apparently my uncle has an old unused amp, a Pioneer VSX-D510. Is this of any use?

post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleRABBIT View Post
 


I think the K172s are a bit out of my budget. 

Also apparently my uncle has an old unused amp, a Pioneer VSX-D510. Is this of any use?

You could get the Beyerdynamic DT880 pro 250-Ohm headphones, use the VSX-D510 as the headphone amplifier, for use with desktop or laptop or iPhone.

 

If you wanted to use the IPhone on the move get small portable headphones.

post #7 of 12

one question, which would help alot: How did you like the ATH M50? What exactly did you like about them, what did you not? (like tonal sounding, bass-quality (punch, precision), isolation (means, you want again closed cans, or maybe more open because you did not like the isolation?)

 

You could also set the prices abit different. Beyerdynamic T70 (more natural sounding than ATH M50, and more bright), which is sometimes sold for 350€ (amazon.es), insteat 450-500€.

Also the T90 (open version) for 400-450€.

Both dont really require an expensive amp, so a cheap Fiio E10 would do the job just as fine.

 

Remember, the Headphone itself is MUCH more important for the Sound, than the DAC/AMPs.

post #8 of 12
Thread Starter 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleAngel View Post
 

You could get the Beyerdynamic DT880 pro 250-Ohm headphones, use the VSX-D510 as the headphone amplifier, for use with desktop or laptop or iPhone.

 

If you wanted to use the IPhone on the move get small portable headphones.

 
My total budget is $500. If I use the VSX-D510 as the headphone amplifier which DAC should I get?
Nah, I'm planning to use my M50s as portable headphones. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseth View Post
 

one question, which would help alot: How did you like the ATH M50? What exactly did you like about them, what did you not? (like tonal sounding, bass-quality (punch, precision), isolation (means, you want again closed cans, or maybe more open because you did not like the isolation?)

 

You could also set the prices abit different. Beyerdynamic T70 (more natural sounding than ATH M50, and more bright), which is sometimes sold for 350€ (amazon.es), insteat 450-500€.

Also the T90 (open version) for 400-450€.

Both dont really require an expensive amp, so a cheap Fiio E10 would do the job just as fine.

 

Remember, the Headphone itself is MUCH more important for the Sound, than the DAC/AMPs.

Generally, I liked the the tone of the M50s except I felt like the mids could be a bit better. I liked the punchy bass from the M50s and I'd like my next headphones to have good bass as well. I'm not sure about isolation though, the isolation was good for when I was travelling but I didn't really need it at home. I'm not sure if I want closed or open headphones (haven't tried open).  

How should I spend my $500 budget? (Provided that I now have an amp).

post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleRABBIT View Post
 


How should I spend my $500 budget (Provided that I now have an amp) for a DAC?

USB DACs

Schiit Modi, $100

Hifimediy Sabre U2, $57

post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleRABBIT View Post
 


I think the K172s are a bit out of my budget. 

Also apparently my uncle has an old unused amp, a Pioneer VSX-D510. Is this of any use?

I though you can find the k712pro for less than $300 these days?@.@

post #11 of 12
Thread Starter 

Well my budget's changed since I've acquired an amp.  
I can spend $400-$500 for a pair of headphones + DAC. 
I've been looking at the 
AKG K712 Pro
Hifiman HE-400

but I'm open to all suggestions.

post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleRABBIT View Post
 

Well my budget's changed since I've acquired an amp.  
I can spend $400-$500 for a pair of headphones + DAC. 
I've been looking at the 
AKG K712 Pro
Hifiman HE-400

but I'm open to all suggestions.

The HE-400 have recessed upper mids; you will either love it or hate it. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Looking for $200-$300 Headphones + $100-$200 DAC/Amp