or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › New Member researching Planar Magnetic phones
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New Member researching Planar Magnetic phones

post #1 of 8
Thread Starter 
Love my Maggies. Looking for cans that will satisfy my Maggie loving ears.

Do I need to look beyond Audez'e?

Rich
post #2 of 8
I would also give the Hifiman HE-500 serious consideration.
post #3 of 8

Deciding what planar magnetics to get primarily depends on your budget. The two main brands are Hifiman (with their HE400, HE500, HE6) vs. Audeze (w/ LCD-2, LCD-X, LCD-XC, LCD-3).

 

You'll find that you don't really even have to pick between ortho headphones. Your budget will pick for you :D 

 

I have the budget HE400, which I would highly recommend. Another option are modded closed T50RP such as Mad Dog/Alpha Dog vs Paradox. However, I have heard that the HE400 beats all mods. But they are worth considering if you are looking for a closed pair of orthos as the 1,800 LCD-XC is the only other closed planar mag option.


Edited by money4me247 - 12/17/13 at 6:40pm
post #4 of 8

I don't know which sounds most like them. The three most popular firms--Audeze, Fostex, and Hifiman--don't sound alike. Even models by the same firm don't sound so similar to me, such as HE400 and HE500.

 

I bought Fostex based on my preference for the fairly mid-centric sound, and you'll want to mod it or buy modded (LFF Paradox, MrSpeakers, ZMF). I liked the Audezes I've listened to more than the Hifimans, except for HE400 which I liked more than the Audezes.


Edited by Claritas - 1/27/14 at 9:19pm
post #5 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by goaliedad39 View Post

I would also give the Hifiman HE-500 serious consideration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by money4me247 View Post

Deciding what planar magnetics to get primarily depends on your budget. The two main brands are Hifiman (with their HE400, HE500, HE6) vs. Audeze (w/ LCD-2, LCD-X, LCD-XC, LCD-3).

You'll find that you don't really even have to pick between ortho headphones. Your budget will pick for you biggrin.gif  

I have the budget HE400, which I would highly recommend. Another option are modded closed T50RP such as Mad Dog/Alpha Dog vs Paradox. However, I have heard that the HE400 beats all mods. But they are worth considering if you are looking for a closed pair of orthos as the 1,800 LCD-XC is the only other closed planar mag option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claritas View Post

I don't know which sounds most like them. The three most popular firms--Audeze, Fostex, and Hifiman--don't sound alike. Even the models within a firm does sound so close to me, such as HE400 and HE500.

I bought Fostex based on my preference for the fairly mid-centric sound, and you'll want to mod it or buy modded (LFF Paradox, MrSpeakers, ZMF). I liked the Audezes I've listened to more than the Hifimans, except for HE400 which I liked more than the Audezes.

Thanks so much for the replies! I have heard (read, ha ha) good things about all of the options that you listed. Now the challenge is to be able to compare them - without buying them all of course!
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Husker27 View Post

Thanks so much for the replies! I have heard (read, ha ha) good things about all of the options that you listed. Now the challenge is to be able to compare them - without buying them all of course!

your best option here is a head-fi meet in your area. the high-end planar magnetics are usually not available in many stores.

 

i would just get the one that fits in your price range & you should be fine. the differences between the high-end equipment is really just a matter of subject taste rather than one pair clearly out-performing the other.

 

this is a useful read: http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-58-headphones-compared-update-audeze-lcd-2-revision-2-6-4-13

it helped me pull the trigger on my HE400.

post #7 of 8
Thread Starter 
Thanks for the tip. I will look into the meet idea to see if that is even possible. Otherwise I will just pull the trigger on something and trust that I will be pleased. What the heck - I will probably end up with more than one pair eventually anyway.
post #8 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by money4me247 View Post
 

your best option here is a head-fi meet in your area. the high-end planar magnetics are usually not available in many stores.

 

i would just get the one that fits in your price range & you should be fine. the differences between the high-end equipment is really just a matter of subject taste rather than one pair clearly out-performing the other.

 

this is a useful read: http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-58-headphones-compared-update-audeze-lcd-2-revision-2-6-4-13

it helped me pull the trigger on my HE400.

 

And it is done! Pulled the trigger on the Audez'e LCD-2. I am anxious to see how they sound with my Oppo BDP-105's head amp before I think about getting a dedicated head amp. And I am going to try and attend a meet in Minneapolis in January. All good!

 

Thanks for all the replies!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › New Member researching Planar Magnetic phones