or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

DAC/AMP Recommendations - Page 2

post #16 of 32

consider also audio gd 15.32 or 11.32. they can drive variety of cans

post #17 of 32
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubinstein View Post
 

consider also audio gd 15.32 or 11.32. they can drive variety of cans


I really would like to keep it around 200 at max, those push the price point near $300. Also, I posted this in the top but I figured I should post it here as well.

 

EDIT: Ok so I want a dac/amp combo. I can spend around $200ish if it is really worth it. A must for me is a good soundstage, natural sound, and good detail. I don't want any dac/amp that is not good in those regards.

post #18 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by chili dude96 View Post
 


I really would like to keep it around 200 at max, those push the price point near $300. Also, I posted this in the top but I figured I should post it here as well.

 

EDIT: Ok so I want a dac/amp combo. I can spend around $200ish if it is really worth it. A must for me is a good soundstage, natural sound, and good detail. I don't want any dac/amp that is not good in those regards.


I understand what you mean. But this hobby has inversely proportional return on  investment and you just keep on investing, if you do not get satisfied with your set up.

I have been also considering modi/magni (or Aune T1) combo for my upgrade. But I am trying to decide between Audio GD 11.32 and 15.32. why? Both of them can drive 600 Ohm impedance cans and can drive most of mid fi tier cans. If I go for 11.32, I do not have consider about dac/amp upgrade for few years.

post #19 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by chili dude96 View Post
 

But I'm still going back and forth as to whether it is worth the extra money for a schiit stack over the e17....


I got rid of my e17 and will be replacing it with a Schiit stack. If you don't need the portability meaning taking it with you on the go the modi/magni combo will give you more power and a much wider range of headphones for usability. I was going to go magni/mdoi for my spare bedroom set-up but have decided to go Vali ($129) and Modi instead but for you magni as you have stated you don't wan a tube/hybrid amp. So iNMHO it is certainly worth it to pay more for the modi/magni combo and with a better warranty and guys here in America that will take care of you if you have any questions you also get peace of mind (the re-sale value will also be a bit better on the Schiit stack.)

post #20 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by chili dude96 View Post
 


I really would like to keep it around 200 at max, those push the price point near $300. Also, I posted this in the top but I figured I should post it here as well.

 

EDIT: Ok so I want a dac/amp combo. I can spend around $200ish if it is really worth it. A must for me is a good sound stage, natural sound, and good detail. I don't want any dac/amp that is not good in those regards.


Creative Labs Sound Blaster Z (SB1500, retail box) is on sale for $65.

By far the best deal and value for something for music, gaming and movies.

It CS4398 DAC chip is going to be a better DAC chip, then what is in the Audigy.

and the SB-Z comes with a headphone amplifier, where as whatever the Audigy uses to drive headphones is going to be a little cruder.


Edited by PurpleAngel - 11/14/13 at 2:37pm
post #21 of 32
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phishin Phool View Post
 


I got rid of my e17 and will be replacing it with a Schiit stack. If you don't need the portability meaning taking it with you on the go the modi/magni combo will give you more power and a much wider range of headphones for usability. I was going to go magni/mdoi for my spare bedroom set-up but have decided to go Vali ($129) and Modi instead but for you magni as you have stated you don't wan a tube/hybrid amp. So iNMHO it is certainly worth it to pay more for the modi/magni combo and with a better warranty and guys here in America that will take care of you if you have any questions you also get peace of mind (the re-sale value will also be a bit better on the Schiit stack.)


I guess I see the point here. I want something I can buy that I will be able to use for a long time. I definitely want to buy some more ~$200 headphones and have something objective to review them with.

 

 

Should I go with the PYST cables or buy my own?

post #22 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by chili dude96 View Post

 

 

Should I go with the PYST cables or buy my own?


The PYST cables look fine, but the standard recommendation for sanely priced, competent cables is monoprice. Probably cheaper than PYST. Makes no difference, really, just a couple dollars. I like to get my cables at Blue Jeans Cables, but they are probably a little more expensive than necessary. Very sturdy and solid though. 

post #23 of 32
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by manbear View Post
 


The PYST cables look fine, but the standard recommendation for sanely priced, competent cables is monoprice. Probably cheaper than PYST. Makes no difference, really, just a couple dollars. I like to get my cables at Blue Jeans Cables, but they are probably a little more expensive than necessary. Very sturdy and solid though. 


I saw some reviews saying the monoprice cables created static. I don't really want to spend $40 on cable when I can spend $7, but I also don't want static from cheap cable...

post #24 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by chili dude96 View Post
 


I saw some reviews saying the monoprice cables created static. I don't really want to spend $40 on cable when I can spend $7, but I also don't want static from cheap cable...

Hmm... I'm not a monoprice fanboy or anything, so I'm not going to try to defend them, but monoprice is commonly recommended around these parts. As with any internet review, there is always a possibility that the reviewer is doing something wrong and doesn't realize it. I don't think all the people who use monoprice are just listening to static and dealing with it... Or you could get the PYST or Blue Jeans cables and have the peace of mind that you didn't go with the cheapest option.


Edited by manbear - 11/14/13 at 3:19pm
post #25 of 32
Thread Starter 

I know this thread is old but can some one comment on the O2+ODAC combo versus the Magni/Modi. I between a good black friday deal on the O2 ODAC combo and just buying the Magni/Modi.

post #26 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by chili dude96 View Post
 

I know this thread is old but can some one comment on the O2+ODAC combo versus the Magni/Modi. I between a good black Friday deal on the O2 ODAC combo and just buying the Magni/Modi.

If the prices are the same, I would go for the O2/ODAC, because the O2 can also run off it's batteries, It would have a little better value.

post #27 of 32
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleAngel View Post
 

If the prices are the same, I would go for the O2/ODAC, because the O2 can also run off it's batteries, It would have a little better value.


The combo I'm looking at is both of them in one shell. No batteries. Also, what are the options for hooking up speakers to amps like these? Would you need a converter to plug the speakers into the headphone ports?

post #28 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by chili dude96 View Post
 


The combo I'm looking at is both of them in one shell. No batteries. Also, what are the options for hooking up speakers to amps like these? Would you need a converter to plug the speakers into the headphone ports?

If you also looking for a DAC for use with speakers, then the Schiit Modi (with Magni) is the better choice.

As I believe the O2/ODAC all in one combo, does not come with a line-out feature, just headphone out.

post #29 of 32
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleAngel View Post
 

If you also looking for a DAC for use with speakers, then the Schiit Modi (with Magni) is the better choice.

As I believe the O2/ODAC all in one combo, does not come with a line-out feature, just headphone out.

http://www.jdslabs.com/products/48/o2-odac-combo/

post #30 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by chili dude96 View Post
 

http://www.jdslabs.com/products/48/o2-odac-combo/

The JDS combo does not come with a line-out, just a headphone output, still might function ok as a line-out.

 

Audio-GD NFB-15.32, DAC & Head Amp, with separate line-out, $255+shipping.

Dual WM8741 DAC chips and USB and S/PDIF (optical & coaxial) inputs

http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB1532/NFB15.32EN.htm

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home