Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › What Sound Options Would Be Best?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What Sound Options Would Be Best?

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 

So, I've pretty much got a very sweet gaming set-up. Apart from my turtle beach x12's :/

I'm saving up £200 ($300) for a sweet headset/headphone+mic configuration. I just don't know what to go for.

My choices are right now:

Audio Technica ATH - AD700X with a blue snowball mic, which is a little over the budget, but quality. I have heard however, the earcups are heavy so the headset slips down due to the non grippy headband thing.
Astro A40s which apparently have a terrible mic
Sennheiser PC360s G4ME which also apparently have a bad mic

If there are much better choices, please tell me. I want a decent mic (skype,teamspeak,youtube) but also nice sound quality and bass for Battlefield and other games. My budget cant stretch by ~£20 ($~30) if needed.

Thanks!

post #2 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by RageSaul View Post
 

So, I've pretty much got a very sweet gaming set-up. Apart from my turtle beach x12's :/I'm saving up £200 ($300) for a sweet headset/headphone+mic configuration. I just don't know what to go for.My choices are right now:

Audio Technica ATH - AD700X with a blue snowball mic, which is a little over the budget, but quality. I have heard however, the earcups are heavy so the headset slips down due to the non grippy headband thing.
Astro A40s which apparently have a terrible mic
Sennheiser PC360s G4ME which also apparently have a bad micIf there are much better choices, please tell me. I want a decent mic (skype,teamspeak,youtube) but also nice sound quality and bass for Battlefield and other games. My budget cant stretch by ~£20 ($~30) if needed

I'm assuming this is for a Win PC?

 

Sennheisewr HD558 headphones

Blue Snowball mic

Asus Xonar DG or DGX sound card.

post #3 of 13
Thread Starter 

Really? I've heard the 598's are better, but more expensive. Also they're open ear, so the bass will be lacking?

post #4 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by RageSaul View Post
 

Really? I've heard the 598's are better, but more expensive. Also they're open ear, so the bass will be lacking?


The HD558 and HD598 (and PC360) use the same driver, just different cup designs.

I would assume the ATH-AD700X has a lighter bass then the HD558/HD598.

post #5 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleAngel View Post
 


The HD558 and HD598 (and PC360) use the same driver, just different cup designs.

I would assume the ATH-AD700X has a lighter bass then the HD558/HD598.

Oh, ok. What would be the best option then? 558 with snowball mic + soundcard?

post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by RageSaul View Post

Really? I've heard the 598's are better, but more expensive.

And you can make the HD558s sound pretty close to the HD598s with a very simple mod.
post #7 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post


And you can make the HD558s sound pretty close to the HD598s with a very simple mod.

Yeah, I heard. I think I'll go for them. What sound card do you think I should get with them?

post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by RageSaul View Post
 

Yeah, I heard. I think I'll go for them. What sound card do you think I should get with them?

Asus xonar gets my vote. You should probably consider the sony ma-900 as well. Phillips x1 if you want to up the ante. Both have decent bass, the x1 more so than ma-900. Look at MLE's gaming guide


Edited by davidsh - 10/21/13 at 2:06am
post #9 of 13
Thread Starter 

Oh yeah, I will probably go with the Asus Xonar. When you said 1x more so than the ma-900 does that mean it has the most bass? Or that the others have x1 more bass?

 

Also, I'm re consdiering my choice of headphones. Because I'll be doing mostly gaming with the headphones I'm considering some rated more 'Fun' like the Philips Fidelio X1/00.

 

I'm not sure though, it does cost a little bit more, but I can over the budget a bit. Have you had any experience with these?

post #10 of 13
The x1 has the most bass. Haven't tried any of the phones
post #11 of 13
Thread Starter 

Oh right, you were talking about the different headphones, not soundcards. Yeah I'm really considering the x1s, they are one of the reviewers favourites plus I really like bass. 

 

I'll probably get the Asus Xonar DGX and of course the blue snowball mic. Is there anything else I need?

post #12 of 13
Nah, nothing else.
post #13 of 13
Thread Starter 

Alright cool, thanks :)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › What Sound Options Would Be Best?