Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sony MDR-10R Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sony MDR-10R Impressions Thread - Page 13

post #181 of 195
The more I listen to this headphone the more I like it. I have owned the 1R twice, the 2nd time I missed the cup and both times I ended up selling or returning it. The 10R on the other hand seems to have a better signature for me.

I tried it with a Cayin C5 amp last night and that combination was simply magic and I love the cable free use out and about. The BT model just offers an amazing combination of freedom and excellent mid-fi sound for a very reasonable price.

I also think it's as comfortable the 1R at least for my ears while being more compact and portable.
post #182 of 195

I've only heard the 10RC and I thought it sounded pretty good. I didn't get the impression of overwhelming bass as mentioned by lachlanlikesathing but that was for the 10R.

post #183 of 195
Absolutely fabulous headphones the comfort, fit, style and sound is outstanding. All the sound frequencies are balanced and very richmaking music, movies and games sound so stellar. I have use beyerdinamics, koss, akg, sennheiser and sony headphones and these hold their own against all those other brands. I must say these are not bass heavy these have a very pleasing sound that I truly like. 5/5
post #184 of 195
Can I use the 10R earpads for my 10RC?
post #185 of 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetslipper View Post

Can I use the 10R earpads for my 10RC?


Nope, they have drastically different ear cup sizes.

post #186 of 195

Im offered a 10RNC for $85 and thinking if its a good deal. Read that the passive operation sucks real bad, but the active is somewhat okay. I might listen to the headphones passively half of the time since the batterylife of the NC is only around 20hours. 

im not sure since there are both good and bad comments about it. 'Muffled' , 'dark' , 'no treble' and what not.

 

post #187 of 195

FYI:

 

http://gizmodo.com/heavily-discounted-sony-headphones-windows-2-in-1-and-1678270634

 

I picked up the MDR-10R for 40 bucks, I believe they are sold out but the bluetooth version is still available

 

Picked up on a whim, general consensus is these are decent phones?

post #188 of 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by daMannino View Post
 

FYI:

 

http://gizmodo.com/heavily-discounted-sony-headphones-windows-2-in-1-and-1678270634

 

I picked up the MDR-10R for 40 bucks, I believe they are sold out but the bluetooth version is still available

 

Picked up on a whim, general consensus is these are decent phones?


Thanks for the info, Got myself a brand new 10-RNC for $85 from a local seller.

Tested it myself, and had to agree with the mass. Its quite muffled and the low frequency overpowers the highs. But to my surprise, with the NC on, the sound is more forward. Treble are boosted to a very good level, and the mids too, but if the mids are boosted by a liiiiiiitle more, it'd be balance to my ears. 

Nevertheless, this 10-RNC response to EQ well, and can easily be EQed to suit my taste.

For the comfort, the NC, the sound during active NC operation, and free hard case, $85 spent well i guess.

post #189 of 195

Hi,

 

I got the 10rbt and I think the AptX over bluethooth gives it a quite acceptable sound reproduction.

 

However I feel (like many others) the bass is too pronounced and the pads are just a litle snug for my dumbo ears..

 

I would like to experiment with changing the pads to velours since this seems to reduce the bass somewhat when done on other sets of headphones and be more comfortable.

 

Have anybody tried to remove the original pads from the 10rbt?

I've tried to give them a little tug but they seems to be stuck and I dont want to damage them.

 

Any information on removing and replacing the pads would be appreciated.

post #190 of 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by atkhobby View Post

 

Hi,

 

I got the 10rbt and I think the AptX over bluethooth gives it a quite acceptable sound reproduction.

 

However I feel (like many others) the bass is too pronounced and the pads are just a litle snug for my dumbo ears..

 

I would like to experiment with changing the pads to velours since this seems to reduce the bass somewhat when done on other sets of headphones and be more comfortable.

 

Have anybody tried to remove the original pads from the 10rbt?

I've tried to give them a little tug but they seems to be stuck and I dont want to damage them.

 

Any information on removing and replacing the pads would be appreciated.

I have, on the 10R. I believe they should be the same as the 10RBT. The cushion is held in place very tightly by 5 clips. Starting from the top-most clip (the one closest to the headband), push inwards and upwards from the side, applying force underneath the cushion.

 

post #191 of 195


Thank your for the quick response and detailed description.

 

Now that I know from your picture how it looks inside I can try to figure out what kind of velour pads would fit even without opening my own! Thanks!

post #192 of 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by atkhobby View Post
 


Thank your for the quick response and detailed description.

 

Now that I know from your picture how it looks inside I can try to figure out what kind of velour pads would fit even without opening my own! Thanks!


The biggest challenge would probably be finding a pad that is the right size and shape (as the 10R/BT/NC's pads aren't perfectly elliptical), and fitting it onto the earcup. You will need to get a replacement pad and take the plastic frame with the 5 clips off of that, then fashion a velour pad based around that frame.

post #193 of 195
I could not find the pads as spare parts on the sony site so I have sent them a request.

BTW Any chance that the pads can be removed without totally dislodging the five clips?
post #194 of 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by atkhobby View Post

I could not find the pads as spare parts on the sony site so I have sent them a request.

BTW Any chance that the pads can be removed without totally dislodging the five clips?

Probably not. The pads were designed to be one whole piece with the frame, and it is quite securely glued to it. The pad doesn't just fit over it like a toilet seat cover. You will have to dislodge the clips first, then separate the cushion from the frame.

post #195 of 195

New owner of the MDR10R and I think that it is one of the better headphones i've ever had or even used, including some other studio monitors.

 

I am however very disappointing in the cable length. Has anyone else found a solid alternative over an extender?

 

I am tempted to pick up one of these

 

 http://www.amazon.com/Replacement-Headphone-philips-SHP9500-SHL5505/dp/B00OYK46UC/ref=sr_1_11?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1424913091&sr=1-11&keywords=MDR10R+cable

 

and was wondering if anyone else had any experience with these 3rd party versions? They have several lengths as well. 

 

I would prefer a coiled cable like Shure uses, but due to the recessed jack it seems impossible. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sony MDR-10R Impressions Thread