Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sony MDR-10R Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sony MDR-10R Impressions Thread - Page 12

post #166 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by alal View Post
 

Terrible decision indeed! And the worst is that they don't have replacement cables to supply! I'll think before buying Sony again!!

Thank you. I may get a Dr. Beats cable and do the same as you if I cannot find a damn cable in the next couple of days.

I might just even buy a pair of Beats to replace the Sonys! Say what you will about Beats, Head-Fi, but one thing's for sure; Beats puts a lot of effort in making their headphones "consumable", and it means abundance of spare cables, too.

post #167 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by alal View Post
 

LOL Pass. Really not thinking of buying another pair of headphones. How much are you asking for it?

Sorry for the delay, I don't come here daily.

 

I was saying that as a joke but… don't know, maybe 50$ plus shipping. 

post #168 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by alal View Post
 

Terrible decision indeed! And the worst is that they don't have replacement cables to supply! I'll think before buying Sony again!!

Thank you. I may get a Dr. Beats cable and do the same as you if I cannot find a damn cable in the next couple of days.

I've found that certain types of knockoff Beats cables are often poorly constructed, so the headphone jack sleeve can simply be popped off. Here are a few examples (click on the picture for eBay listing):

 

 

I got the very last one. and the red cap on the ends of the cable can just pop off with a bit of heat from a hairdryer and a pair of pliers.

 

After the caps are off, it fits perfectly in the MDR-10Rs!

post #169 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pass View Post
 

Sorry for the delay, I don't come here daily.

 

I was saying that as a joke but… don't know, maybe 50$ plus shipping. 


Just noticed you that you're in Canada. Shipping that to the UK will cost me a fortune!! :(

post #170 of 176

Hi vantt1,

 

thanks for the tip! Will sure try that! :)

post #171 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by alal View Post
 


Just noticed you that you're in Canada. Shipping that to the UK will cost me a fortune!! :(

Yeah, that sucks. I can buy almost anything from China that costs less than 10$ and will include free shipping. But Canada to UK would be between 30 and 40$ :(

post #172 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pass View Post
 

Yeah, that sucks. I can buy almost anything from China that costs less than 10$ and will include free shipping. But Canada to UK would be between 30 and 40$ :(

I guess you'll have to...

 

(•_•)
( •_•)>⌐■-■
(⌐■_■)
 

...Pass

post #173 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by vantt1 View Post
 

I guess you'll have to...

 

(•_•)
( •_•)>⌐■-■
(⌐■_■)
 

...Pass

To compensate me for having had to read this, I want you to reserve me the first ticket for your show ;)

 

 

BTW, if someone's interested (in Canada or U.S.) by the 10RBT at 50$ (+ shipping), they're still available.

post #174 of 176

It seems all but impossible to find a pair of portable circumaural headphones that don't either sound awful or destroy my ears with pain. I tried the 10R on at Best Buy and it was an amazing breath of fresh air in terms of comfort--I literally did not feel like I had any headphones on at all. But they had the damn thing hardwired to a display case so I couldn't play my own music and determine for myself if they were acceptable sounding.

 

I really don't want to do the whole "order from Amazon, hate it, return it, order from Amazon, hate it, return it" nonsense.

 

The ZX700 also seemed interesting to me except for one serious, serious issue--I wear my headphones over my hair. I hate pulling my hair back unless I absolutely have to. This almost always compromises the bass response and depending on the headphone that can go from a lot to a little. The junk overcompressed sample music the 10R played back at Best Buy didn't sound especially bassy to me as a result, but I can't tell if the muffled sound was purely the headphone or just the really low quality audio they had playing... so considering the ZX700's poor bass response, I'm afraid it's going to end up sounding like a tin can through my hair. Not to mention the whole dying right channel issue due to the ridiculous thin wire.


Edited by syn010110 - 7/5/14 at 10:31pm
post #175 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by syn010110 View Post
 

It seems all but impossible to find a pair of portable circumaural headphones that don't either sound awful or destroy my ears with pain. I tried the 10R on at Best Buy and it was an amazing breath of fresh air in terms of comfort--I literally did not feel like I had any headphones on at all. But they had the damn thing hardwired to a display case so I couldn't play my own music and determine for myself if they were acceptable sounding.

 

I really don't want to do the whole "order from Amazon, hate it, return it, order from Amazon, hate it, return it" nonsense.

 

The ZX700 also seemed interesting to me except for one serious, serious issue--I wear my headphones over my hair. I hate pulling my hair back unless I absolutely have to. This almost always compromises the bass response and depending on the headphone that can go from a lot to a little. The junk overcompressed sample music the 10R played back at Best Buy didn't sound especially bassy to me as a result, but I can't tell if the muffled sound was purely the headphone or just the really low quality audio they had playing... so considering the ZX700's poor bass response, I'm afraid it's going to end up sounding like a tin can through my hair. Not to mention the whole dying right channel issue due to the ridiculous thin wire.

The problem's the hair. Cut them. Problem solved!

 

Seriously, headphones' sound is tuned to be heard through your ears, not your hair. The cups already have cloth, mesh, grille, etc. inside to tame or boost some frequencies. If you add hair to this, then the sound will absolutely be confused.

 

So, cut or pull the hair, or buy the first generation or Beats headphones.

post #176 of 176

Or use in-ears I suppose, but I still haven't been able to find a tip type that doesn't give me itchy ears. Maybe I should consider custom IEMs.

 

Anyway bought a pair of 10Rs (the noise-canceling variant). Will use them like crazy during the 14 day return window to see if I like.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sony MDR-10R Impressions Thread