Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Bowers & Wilkins P7 - over the ear headphones
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Bowers & Wilkins P7 - over the ear headphones - Page 7

post #91 of 1120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
 

 

Yeah.....I have read about 6 or 7 different P7 reviews thus far and each seem to depict a different sonic character :blink:  :confused_face_2:

 

That's why I'd like to see the measurements too in lieu of not listening to them. Any ETA on their release here in N.A.?

post #92 of 1120

So, I've been doing some more listening today, after I let the P7 burn in over night. I'll be mostly comparing these to the Momentum I already have (and sometimes to the Kef M500 which I had for a few days). All this listening was done through a FiiO E07K DAC hooked up to my laptop. All tracks I listened to were FLAC. Here are my impressions so far:

 

The P7 definitely has a wider soundstage than the Momentum. It almost appears like the wider soundstage provides more space for all the instruments to breathe, as instrumental separation is very well done here. By comparison, on the Momentum the instruments sound a bit more bunched up together which sometimes makes some instruments sound less clear. On one track I was listening to, there was this subtle piano in the background and on the P7 I could hear all the individual notes well, whereas on the Momentum a few of the notes blended together. So the detail retrieval of the P7 is very good. If I remember correctly, just as detailed as the M500 if not more.

 

Also, on some songs the vocals sound more separated from the instruments, or better said, the instruments sound more separated from the vocals, whereas on the Momentum I noticed that sometimes the vocals blend in with the instruments. This is also something I noticed when I was comparing the Momentum with the M500 a little while ago, the M500 was better able to separate the vocals from the instruments, although I think it's done better on the P7, as the quality of the vocals is of a similar level of the Momentum (which I really like), but the separation is more like the M500 (which I really like), so in this case it takes the best of those two headphones, in my very humble opinion :)

 

I can also a notice certain depth to the sound, a 3D space so to speak. I can place instruments to the back, front, above, below and of course left/right. At the risk of sounding overly dramatic, I think the P7 accomplishes this really well, I've already experienced a few songs differently than I have ever experienced them before. And speaking of depth and space, I think the P7 comes close to sounding like speakers, that big full sound that fills a room. I think it's mostly due to the wider soundstage and imaging. This was also something I noticed on the M500, that full speaker-like sound, whereas with the Momentum you don't really get that. Those sound just like a headphone, more intimate.

 

In terms of sound signature, it's overall closer to the Momentum than the M500, but with much less rolled-off treble. The M500 and Momentum sound distinctly different to my ears. I do think the mids of the P7 sound slightly nicer than the Momentum, the word luscious keeps coming to mind (and the Momentum already has great mids). There is also a bit more presence to the highs than there is with the Momentum, something which adds to that sense of space. As for the bass, I think the P7 has a very nice sub-bass, similar to the M500, but I also notice a slight mid-bass hump. This mid-bass hump was more apparent when I listend to them right out of the box, but I think a bit of burn-in has mellowed it out a bit. But there is a bit more 'oomph' to the bass compared to the Momentum, again similar to what the M500 achieves. And the bass sounds very well controlled, very tight. And it only really comes out when the recording calls for it. When it does come, it reaches nice and deep though (but perhaps not as deep as the M500 which really has excellent bass response). This bass signature might not be to everyone's taste though, but I certainly like it. I don't think the P7 is warmer than the Momentum, but because there is more oomph behind the bass it might seem that way. 

 

Overall the sound is a bit more clean. By comparison, the Momentum sounds ever so slightly more grainy. And I keep being amazed at the detail retrieval, it's a very pleasant headphone to listen to. Also the attack of the instruments is very well done and there is a shorter decay than on the Momentum, which for me adds to that sence of pace and rhythm, I guess you could also call it agility (again something I also noticed on the M500). There is just more prat on the P7 vs. the Momentum, which I think also makes them sound more fun. I'd say, a very musical headphone. I'm really starting to like them.

 

And for me the comfort is better than the Momentum, the earcups are the right size for my ears on the P7. The Momentum is just too small for my ears so I'm probably going to sell those, as much as I like them otherwise. Comfort is very important to me.

 

For those of you who have ever heard real Bowers & Wilkins speakers, I have to say that the mids on the P7 sound very similar to the mids on their actual speaker line. That typical B&W sound produced by their kevlar mid drivers (the yellow speaker drivers you see on almost all their speakers).

 

You may have noticed that I compared it to the M500 a lot, in a positive way. Well, that's because I really liked the M500 and I think the P7 accomplishes a lot of what makes the M500 great, just with an overall sound signature that's a bit more similar to the Momentum. I didn't end up keeping the M500 because they just started to hurt my ears after a few hours of listening.

 

Anyway, will keep listening to this headphone over the weekend and will then post my final thoughts :)


Edited by starfly - 10/11/13 at 3:26am
post #93 of 1120
Just received my pair of P7's from Phil at Custom Cables (thanks for the speedy service Phil!)

I have been trying for some time now with little success to find a pair of closed around ear headphones that are comfy, compact and sound good (enough) for use at work. Despite my efforts (see profile for a loooong list), I still use my Bose QC2's at work because they meet all of the criteria, despite far from high end sound quality. I am really hoping that the P7's can replace them by improving on the SQ and not losing out on comfort.

First impressions are that they might do the job.

Sound quality beats the Bose easily (unsurprising) and remind me more of the Momentum's than any other headphone that I can recall.
Size is pretty good - not quite as large as I had worried they might be.
Comfort is yet to be determined. They are a nice weight, however the ear cups are a little closer to my ears than the Bose, despite being much larger on the outside. Clamping pressure is a little firm, but likely to loosen up over time.

Will update with more thoughts when I have the chance to give them more ear time.
post #94 of 1120
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0rangutan View Post

Just received my pair of P7's from Phil at Custom Cables (thanks for the speedy service Phil!)

I have been trying for some time now with little success to find a pair of closed around ear headphones that are comfy, compact and sound good (enough) for use at work. Despite my efforts (see profile for a loooong list), I still use my Bose QC2's at work because they meet all of the criteria, despite far from high end sound quality. I am really hoping that the P7's can replace them by improving on the SQ and not losing out on comfort.

First impressions are that they might do the job.

Sound quality beats the Bose easily (unsurprising) and remind me more of the Momentum's than any other headphone that I can recall.
Size is pretty good - not quite as large as I had worried they might be.
Comfort is yet to be determined. They are a nice weight, however the ear cups are a little closer to my ears than the Bose, despite being much larger on the outside. Clamping pressure is a little firm, but likely to loosen up over time.

Will update with more thoughts when I have the chance to give them more ear time.

 

I think you'll find the clamping pressure to lessen with time. It definitely has on mine. You can also try stretching the headband a little, that worked for me as well. Otherwise, enjoy them. And allow for at least 10 hours of burn in, I personally found the SQ to improve a bit.

post #95 of 1120
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacedonianHero View Post
 

 

That's why I'd like to see the measurements too in lieu of not listening to them. Any ETA on their release here in N.A.?

 

Most Magnolia stores within Best Buy will have them on display at the end of the month.  If your local store has a B&W headphone display, it will have the P7.

post #96 of 1120
So I own the Momentums and M100's. The Momentums I class more for appreciating musical transparency while the M100 for clean bass impact. Which one would you replace for the P7? Very interested to see if you would class the Momentum superior to the P7. I don't know why but I have a feeling the P7 has the smooth clean response of the Momentums (maybe a touch brighter) with the bass impact of the M100???
post #97 of 1120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romani View Post

So I own the Momentums and M100's. The Momentums I class more for appreciating musical transparency while the M100 for clean bass impact. Which one would you replace for the P7? Very interested to see if you would class the Momentum superior to the P7. I don't know why but I have a feeling the P7 has the smooth clean response of the Momentums (maybe a touch brighter) with the bass impact of the M100???

Well I haven't heard the m100, so I really can't tell you. If the m100 is a real basshead phone, perhaps the P7 would have less bass. I'd say, see if you can give them a listen somewhere.
post #98 of 1120
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacedonianHero View Post
 

 

That's why I'd like to see the measurements too in lieu of not listening to them. Any ETA on their release here in N.A.?

 

I was told October.....I also see that Amazon.co.uk lists them as being available on October 14, so maybe that is the worldwide release day. Interesting that you can google it and nothing comes up retail-wise, even though several members have gone to shops to demo them.

post #99 of 1120
Looks like the P7's aren't going to work out for me in the end.
The looks and sound are fantastic, but my humble QC2's are such a better fit for my head and ears that I will stick with them.

I will put an ad up shortly, but if anyone is interested in buying an effectively as new pair, drop me a PM.
post #100 of 1120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
 

 

I was told October.....I also see that Amazon.co.uk lists them as being available on October 14, so maybe that is the worldwide release day. Interesting that you can google it and nothing comes up retail-wise, even though several members have gone to shops to demo them.

Here in the Netherlands they're becoming more and more available.

post #101 of 1120
At least three online retailers in the UK have been selling the P7 for a few days now, so it appears that there has been a selective rollout here anyway.

Having owned and partially liked the P5, I think that the P7 should be auditioned prior to purchase, or bought with a return if dissatisfied clause. I say this because the P7 user reviews are a very mixed bag, with numerous plaudits and a few indifferent comments. So try before you buy folks.

quote name="Beagle" url="/t/681976/bowers-wilkins-p7-over-the-ear-headphones/90#post_9880588"]
I was told October.....I also see that Amazon.co.uk lists them as being available on October 14, so maybe that is the worldwide release day. Interesting that you can google it and nothing comes up retail-wise, even though several members have gone to shops to demo them.
[/quote]
post #102 of 1120
Quote:
Originally Posted by smial1966 View Post

Having owned and partially liked the P5, I think that the P7 should be auditioned prior to purchase, or bought with a return if dissatisfied clause. I say this because the P7 user reviews are a very mixed bag, with numerous plaudits and a few indifferent comments. So try before you buy folks

 

I recall the exact same thing happening when the Focal Spirit One was introduced...

post #103 of 1120
Agree, I just now need to find a retailer in Australia who is selling them already so I can give them a go. Decisions decisions :-) The M100s are bassy but not done poorly like many of the others. They still acknowledge mids and highs in a respectable fashion. My gut feel based on the relatively mixed reviews so far is that the P7 will sit somewhere in the middle between the Momentums and M100's sound-wise. 
Originally Posted by starfly View Post


Well I haven't heard the m100, so I really can't tell you. If the m100 is a real basshead phone, perhaps the P7 would have less bass. I'd say, see if you can give them a listen somewhere.
post #104 of 1120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speakerphile View Post
 

 

Most Magnolia stores within Best Buy will have them on display at the end of the month.  If your local store has a B&W headphone display, it will have the P7.

Unfortunately while we have Bestbuy here in The Great White North, no Magnolia. :confused:

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
 

 

I was told October.....I also see that Amazon.co.uk lists them as being available on October 14, so maybe that is the worldwide release day. Interesting that you can google it and nothing comes up retail-wise, even though several members have gone to shops to demo them.

Thanks Dave.

post #105 of 1120
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacedonianHero View Post
 

Unfortunately while we have Bestbuy here in The Great White North, no Magnolia. :confused:

 

Thanks Dave.

 

Forgive my ignorance, but are you referring to Canada?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Bowers & Wilkins P7 - over the ear headphones