I'm looking for a comfortable, lightweight, high-quality and very durable pair of portable headphones that don't require an amp, that I can wear in the car or on an airplane without disturbing those around me. I've worn Sony MDR-V150 headphones for as long as I can remember, but they sound flat with no bass and the pads are of very low quality. I'd like to step up from those to a pair that comes as close as possible to replicating the sound of a 2.1 speaker system, with excellent base and treble. I found one online that seems particularly good, the Beyerdynamic DTX 501P, but I wonder if I can do even better. Thank you.
Related Forum Threads
- Looking for advice on a new set of headphones and more - Seriously needing help Last post on 3/9/15 at 11:59pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Senn Momentums, lateral upgrade or ? Last post on 3/5/15 at 7:03am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Mdr 1abt? Last post on 4/23/15 at 7:02am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- need help deciding on my next purchase, sony mdr1r bt mk2 or logitec ue 9000? Last post on 1/7/15 at 6:05pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Mikros 90 are painful, need something around $100, isolation, portable. Last post on 11/15/14 at 3:44pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Intro/Setup The full-size closed under $200 category is a very popular one among pro’s and casual listeners alike. The most similar competitor to this I own is the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro...
Fantastic sound quality! Very clean, detailed and balanced sound. Really strong power for high impedance headphones. Best buy until US 250,00.. It can drive easily my AKG K702 (famous for being...
Great sound, strong bass, great construct quality, very confortable, warm sound. This is a real overall headphone. Everything will sound good on it (not a real reference headphone). Fantastic for...
Great sound, great tone, very well balanced, very clean, great bass (not lacking), detailed sound. Everything sounds great on the SENNHEISER HD 598.
Fantastic Reference Headphones, fantastic sound clarity and definition. The soundstage is the best! Incredible detailed sound and instruments separation. Not for everyone. This is a very honest...
High-quality portable headphones
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I listen almost exclusively to rock music. I would like to keep my budget within $400. I am especially interested in getting a very sturdy pair of headphones whose external and internal components will last a very long time, with good vocals and base response.
Edited by alevinso - 7/14/13 at 7:17pm
In my own experiences, the Sony MDR-1R are great for rock music. They have a great soundstage and the low frequencies doesnt muddle out the mids and the highs unlike other headphones do.
- High-quality portable headphones
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Shure SE846 Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › Oppo Digital PM-3's lightly used. 1 minute ago
- › SF Bay Area mini meet May 2nd 2015 (CanJam after party!!!!) 1 minute ago
- › "The Lab" 1 minute ago
- › Xiaomi Pistons 3.0 Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › I'm Done (Vsonic GR02 Bass Edition) VS GR06 2 minutes ago
- › New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil 2 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 2 minutes ago
- › Seattle Spring Meet at BottleHeadquarters 4/25/2015 2 minutes ago
- › Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2 3 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 380 PRO Headphones by rigodeni
- › Matrix M-Stage by Johannus
- › Pioneer HDJ-2000 Reference Professional Dj Headphones by Johannus
- › Sennheiser HD 598 by Johannus
- › AKG K 702 Black by Johannus
- › AKG K 702 Headphones by Johannus
- › Sennheiser HD 650 Headphones by Johannus
- › Sennheiser RS 185 RF Wireless Headphone System by mark2410
- › Philips Fidelio L2 by DJScope
- › HUM Pervasion - Android DAP by DJScope
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2