I'm looking for a comfortable, lightweight, high-quality and very durable pair of portable headphones that don't require an amp, that I can wear in the car or on an airplane without disturbing those around me. I've worn Sony MDR-V150 headphones for as long as I can remember, but they sound flat with no bass and the pads are of very low quality. I'd like to step up from those to a pair that comes as close as possible to replicating the sound of a 2.1 speaker system, with excellent base and treble. I found one online that seems particularly good, the Beyerdynamic DTX 501P, but I wonder if I can do even better. Thank you.
Related Forum Threads
- Mdr 1abt? Last post on 1/7/15 at 8:30pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- need help deciding on my next purchase, sony mdr1r bt mk2 or logitec ue 9000? Last post on 1/7/15 at 6:05pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Mikros 90 are painful, need something around $100, isolation, portable. Last post on 11/15/14 at 3:44pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- headphone hesitation Last post on 11/2/14 at 9:23am in Headphones (full-size)
- sony mdr-1r Last post on 10/30/14 at 11:51am in Headphones (full-size)
I try to keep my reviews simple and understandable so I don't go into a large amount of detail with each part. There are others here that do an excellent job at very in depth and detailed reviews....
I'm an on-ear open junkie, so this high praise says a lot about the PX95. A list of on-ear opens I have in various drawer: AKG K512, PX100-ii, PortaPros, Jays V-Jays, and some more that I can't...
Introduction This is a review of the Superlux hd 681 Evo, Version II. It is my first review on Head-Fi, so bear with me. The particular Evo under review here has roughly 40 hrs of burn-in time...
I Background, gear used and manifesto I first got interested in the ECP Black Diamond around the time of its release. I was in the market for a “flagship” amp but still didn’t know what type of...
FiiO Mont Blanc for IEM When you pick up the Mont Blanc you feel like you have something substantial in your hand. Not that is is overly heavy, no, it is conveys the impression that this thing...
High-quality portable headphones
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I listen almost exclusively to rock music. I would like to keep my budget within $400. I am especially interested in getting a very sturdy pair of headphones whose external and internal components will last a very long time, with good vocals and base response.
Edited by alevinso - 7/14/13 at 7:17pm
In my own experiences, the Sony MDR-1R are great for rock music. They have a great soundstage and the low frequencies doesnt muddle out the mids and the highs unlike other headphones do.
- High-quality portable headphones
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › MCINTOSH LABS INTRODUCES NEW HEADPHONE AMP MODEL MHA 100 1 minute ago
- › JVC HA-FX850 iem. Woody 2 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 2 minutes ago
- › Which IEMs do you use on the go? 2 minutes ago
- › GUSTARD H10 High-current Discrete Class A output Stage Headphone... 3 minutes ago
- › The Fiio X3 Thread. 5 minutes ago
- › AKG K7xx International Forwarding Service 5 minutes ago
- › Oppo HA-1 Impressions Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Centrance upcoming product for Iphone 5 above and Ipod Touch 5 : Hi... 6 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 6 minutes ago
- › Dunu TITAN 1 — titanium-coated diaphragm earphones by Zalithian
- › Sennheiser PX 95 Versatile On-Ear Headphones by inline79
- › Superlux HD-681 EVO Black Professional Monitor Headphones by serman005
- › ecp audio Black Diamond by Schopenhauer
- › FiiO E12 Mont Blanc by jamato8
- › JVC HA-FX750 Wood Dome Unit Earphone by dnun8086
- › EarWerkz Supra by moedawg140
- › House of Marley - LEGEND ANC by White Lotus
- › Audio Technica S700BT by ironicinori
- › MP4Nation Brainwavz M1 by mark2410
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)