New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Speakers for College - Page 2

post #16 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post


The Bose Companion 2 are $100 desktop multimedia speakers. They are certainly better than most TV speakers, but "impressive?" Not in the least, unless someone hasn't heard speakers that don't have tiny little drivers.
 

My comment was in the context of college students, most of whom will never have heard anything beyond a set of ibuds or laptop speakers. 
I'll be more clear next time.

post #17 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by GREQ View Post

My comment was in the context of college students, most of whom will never have heard anything beyond a set of ibuds or laptop speakers. 

I disagree. By that age, many of them may have friends who have gotten into car audio or may come from families (or have been to friends' houses) that have home audio systems that are better than Bose Companion 2. They have also all been to the movie theater. So they may not have much better than Bose Companion 2 themselves, and they may not have better headphones than Apple earbuds, but I doubt that they will be that impressed by the sound.
post #18 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post


I disagree. By that age, many of them may have friends who have gotten into car audio or may come from families (or have been to friends' houses) that have home audio systems that are better than Bose Companion 2. They have also all been to the movie theater. So they may not have much better than Bose Companion 2 themselves, and they may not have better headphones than Apple earbuds, but I doubt that they will be that impressed by the sound.

It's impossible to know the OP's background and circle of friends.
I grew up with none of my friends (or their parents) owning any kind of decent hifi system or car audio.


Most of my friends thought I was insane when I bought the Grado SR60i, which by audiophile standards is pocket money.
Don't be so quick to assume everyone has the money or the experience.

 

Also I don't really see the comparison between a home speaker system and  a movie theatre. Most likely none of them will make that comparison either, so I don't know why we should bring it into the discussion. They will only compare with the other home systems they've heard - not with some of the best theatre sound systems money can buy. 

post #19 of 36
Thread Starter 
I'll be honest here. My parents were extremely poor immigrants who are now both wealthy doctors. So,while they know nothing about audio, when they bought our house 15 years ago it had 2 home theater systems with a bit more than 20k in audio equipment. I'm still on a budget as I work for my own money. Thanks for all the help guys. I do know good audio, but I'm looking for a bit of practicality as well.
post #20 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by GREQ View Post

It's impossible to know the OP's background and circle of friends.

So you just negated your own claims.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GREQ View Post

Don't be so quick to assume everyone has the money or the experience.

Unlike you who are basing it on your limited perspective of your college experience with your circle of friends, I'm not being that quick to assume. I'm a college professor at a mid-level state university here in the US. I'm quite familiar with different demographic types for college students as part of my job. Might be different in your region of the world, but I have no doubts that your grand generalization of "most of whom" is easily wrong here in the US.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GREQ View Post

Also I don't really see the comparison between a home speaker system and  a movie theatre. Most likely none of them will make that comparison either, so I don't know why we should bring it into the discussion. They will only compare with the other home systems they've heard - not with some of the best theatre sound systems money can buy. 

OK. But pretty much ANY surround sound home system they have heard will be superior to the Bose Companion 2.

Personally, I cannot believe that anyone on Head-FI would describe the Bose Companion 2 (or any $100 multimedia speaker) as "impressive" regardless of the audience listening to them. LOL
post #21 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilVivi View Post

I'll be honest here. My parents were extremely poor immigrants who are now both wealthy doctors. So,while they know nothing about audio, when they bought our house 15 years ago it had 2 home theater systems with a bit more than 20k in audio equipment. I'm still on a budget as I work for my own money. Thanks for all the help guys. I do know good audio, but I'm looking for a bit of practicality as well.

The best "practicality" advice is that tiny drivers like in many multimedia speakers just can't put out the sound of more full range bookshelves. By a pair of these Pioneer BS22 when on sale (often for under $100). Pair them with even a Lepai $20 t-amp, and you'll get way better sound than out of $100 to $150 multimedia speakers.

For good "practical" advice, you might also post to the AVS speaker forums. It is to home audio as head-fi is to headphones. Lots of people there to help you build a good 2.1 channel system. Whatever your budget, they will offer advice that let's you maximize it for best bang for your buck. Let them know your total budget, how you hope to use it (% music, movies, gaming). Any space limitations. Whether or not you would like to be able to grow into it into a 5.1 system over the next several years. Etc. And I am CERTAIN that none of them will describe your Bose Companion 2s as "impressive" and that you should just go with them wink.gif
post #22 of 36

@cel4145 - you've taken everything I've said out of context. *sigh*....

post #23 of 36
Thread Starter 
Thanks so much guys. I'm either going to live with the Bose speakers for a year or just buy the Polk Rti A3s and pair them with a lepai or the Dayton DTA-100a.
post #24 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by GREQ View Post

@cel4145 - you've taken everything I've said out of context. *sigh*....

Ummm...the idea was that you would read my comments within the context of our discussion rolleyes.gif
post #25 of 36

Instead of replying to every single point as though they are single points that are not a whole body of text, I'll just ignore you and your power-trip.

post #26 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by GREQ View Post

Instead of replying to every single point as though they are single points that are not a whole body of text, I'll just ignore you and your power-trip.

Ad hominem attacks do not negate the points I made during the discussion, and they are also a violation of head-fi posting policy.
post #27 of 36

But that's the problem - you're not making points that help the OP - you're deliberately trying to misunderstand the points I'm making and misinterpreting them because I disagreed with you.

You're not trying to see from my perspective or the context I wrote in. That makes your disagreements a personal attack on my integrity and the validity of my opinion - which makes it personal.

post #28 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by GREQ View Post

But that's the problem - you're not making points that help the OP - you're deliberately trying to misunderstand the points I'm making and misinterpreting them because I disagreed with you.
You're not trying to see from my perspective or the context I wrote in. That makes your disagreements a personal attack on my integrity and the validity of my opinion - which makes it personal.

The Bose Companion 2s are small multimedia speakers that have tiny drivers. They are only 3.25" wide. The driver(s) in them can't be more than 2.5" wide or so and still fit in that enclosure. While they are likely to be an improvement over most TV speakers, there are plenty of people here on Head-Fi who would agree that they are not likely to "impress" anyone for movie watching, and particularly, the idea that they will do a "pretty good job for epic movies with the extra bass rumble." 2.5" drivers cannot produce good bass rumble for movie watching (audio science tells us that)--well, except maybe if they are headphone drivers and worn as headphones. If one wants bass effects for movie watching, a sub is the best choice. Meanwhile, there are many people on Head-Fi in addition to me who would disagree with the stereotyping of "most" college students as those "whom will never have heard anything beyond a set of ibuds or laptop speakers."

And yes. I am trying to help the OP. First, to point out that I disagree with the assessment of the Bose Companion 2 as liable to impress college students; the Polk RTis are much better speakers and would be way more likely to impress. And second, because college freshmen often bring unrealistic expectations to college based on someone else's individual experience which is then extrapolated as being true for "most" college students, as your argument seems to be doing. That's why I used the term "many may have" regarding possible other audio experience to point out that if one thinks about it, such a generalization probably doesn't hold true. Ironically, you then follow up with the statement that "It's impossible to know the OP's background and circle of friends." Right. And conversely, one cannot project from one's own individual experience and state that "most" college students will not have any experience with better audio equipment without evidence to back it up. It's too large a demographic for anyone to make claims about the majority of college students without data to back it up.

Anyway, it seems you've decided my disagreement is some kind of personal attack on you. I am NOT "deliberately trying to misunderstand the points" you are "making and misinterpreting them because" you "disagreed with" me. I simply do not agree with your opinions and offered counter arguments to refute the ideas in your arguments.
Edited by cel4145 - 6/19/13 at 12:27am
post #29 of 36
Thread Starter 
So I was thinking, maybe I'll go with the HSU HB-1 mk2 with no sub for a year then add a HSU sub. The HSU speakers are a bit more compact and easy to drive.
post #30 of 36

I've got some time, so let's put some of the things I've said BACK in context and other things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post
The Bose Companion 2s are small multimedia speakers that have tiny drivers. 

-But for their size and price they still produce one of the most 'fun' sounds - which includes an over-emphasised bass and treble that impresses anyone that isn't accustomed to high end audio.

 

Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post
there are plenty of people here on Head-Fi who would agree that they are not likely to "impress" anyone for movie watching

-That's because headfi is full of audiophiles, not college students with massive student loans who wouldn't normally logically buy $100 loudspeakers. Obviously headfi does include more fortunate student-audiophiles who have either worked hard for their gear or whose parents have paid for their way, but we don't go around asking people about their personal situations.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post
 If one wants bass effects for movie watching, a sub is the best choice.

- I never said it wasn't.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

 Meanwhile, there are many people on Head-Fi in addition to me who would disagree with the stereotyping of "most" college students as those "whom will never have heard anything beyond a set of ibuds or laptop speakers."

- I can still remember when I was a student, and everyone was poor because of massive student loans - no stereotyping needed - it was just a fact. Just because someone's parents own good audio equipment doesn't mean that they've truly heard the equipment - which naturally comes with age, experience and a large number of comparisons. After all, we're here because we love to hear music, not because we love to hear headphones/speakers. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post
And yes. I am trying to help the OP. First, to point out that I disagree with the assessment of the Bose Companion 2 as liable to impress college students; 
- Of course the Bose will impress - it's a Bose - to the inexperienced it doesn't matter what it sounds like - Boses marketing has put it near the top of young peoples expectations.  I agree it's not the best and there are many better options available at lower prices, but these speakers are about a 'Big Sound' (albeit psychological) in a small package - which it does fairly well. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

 And second, because college freshmen often bring unrealistic expectations to college based on someone else's individual experience which is then extrapolated as being true for "most" college students, as your argument seems to be doing. 

-This is just conjecture. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

That's why I used the term "many may have" regarding possible other audio experience to point out that if one thinks about it, such a generalization probably doesn't hold true

 

-All this proves is that you're better with words than I am.  

If you take everything I've written to be an opinion from a certain perspective there's nothing to misunderstand.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

Ironically, you then follow up with the statement that "It's impossible to know the OP's background and circle of friends." 

 

- Only if you take everything I've written as a single body body of text to be presented as a whole - I'm not trying to write an award winning essay here. I'm offering a different perspective. Your posts assume that the OP has money to burn, he is accustomed to higher end audio equipment and that there is no merit to be found in the Bose Companion 2. 

My posts offer the perspective of a poor student with loans to pay off, and that it's not such a bad compromise. The OP stated that the TV had "god awful speakers" - the Bose Companion 2 is a good upgrade to "god awful speakers" and a good financial compromise as they are already in the OP's possession. 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post
I simply do not agree with your opinions and offered counter arguments to refute the ideas in your arguments.

 

- Hopefully you will now be able to see from a different perspective. 


Edited by GREQ - 6/19/13 at 1:09am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home