- 130 Posts. Joined 7/2013
- Location: Khorffakan port sharjah
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- AK 120 with Etymotic 4p and a good amp=FANTASTIC Last post on 3/21/14 at 4:18pm in Portable Source Gear
- Astell&Kern AK100 and AK120 in stock with free shipping and MQS Album of your choice! Last post on 6/28/13 at 9:41pm in Sponsor Announcements and Deals
- Astell&Kern AK120 DUAL DAC MQS Portable DAP available now direct from iriver &... Last post on 7/7/13 at 6:11am in Sponsor Announcements and Deals
- The Astell & Kern AK120 Last post on Yesterday at 9:03 pm in Portable Source Gear
- The New iRiver AK100: A High-End DAP Last post on Yesterday at 11:09 am in Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)
Last edited: 7/6/14
I bought these to replace my dead Klipsch Image S2-ii after reading many reviews, because I wanted to try something else in the 60-70$ price range for use with my Sansa Clip Zip, and was very...
A big thanks to Drew and every one at Moon Audio, they handled the sale of this new unit to me and...
Brainwavz S0 Full Disclosure: Brainwavz supplied the S0 for this review It seems Brainwavz has been cranking out the new releases in their IEM line up of late. This time they’ve entered the...
TL;DR Review of the AKG Q701’s Accentuated Mids: Enhances most female vocals, also forwards vocals, “livens” synthesizers in electronic music. Can cause vocals to sound uneven due to the 2khz...
Astell & Kern AK120 impression thread - Page 43
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I'm an owner of AK120 and a pair of Shure SE846.
But I feel that they do not produce the sound quality I expect them to.
I feel that the soundstage is not big enough, and the bass seems to lack a bit of power.
Searching around on the internet, I learn that changing the earphone leads and buying an amp may be my methods of upgrade.
Can anyone tell me if they really make a big difference......
If so, which option shall I go for first?
And, any suggestions?
Instead of investing more money on a new pair of earphones or buying a portable amp which makes it cumbersome, I recently just bought an upgraded earphone lead for my SE846…….the upgrade in performance is great….I'm so happy to have take this cheaper option (for now)!
Here's a radical idea. Sell the expensive IEMs and get some cheapish earbuds, or even headphones if you are OK with wearing things on your head.
Both these options will sound way better than IEMs.
Stop posting while soused.
Must be a leap year. #366: To post on Head-Fi.
Feedback and Strange Q:
I just received my new AK120 and putting through some complex testing in the lab with scopes, impulse, jitter, etc. runs to see how well it performs against some of my meridian explorer, ifi idsd, fiio, iBasso, e12diy and other portable hifi stuff.
So far I'm finding some VERY interesting results around what ProEQ, the Line Out option does and how the internal circuitry handles conversion when it comes to their filters and SW switches internally with the dual WM8740s...more on that later with screen clips from the lab scopes.
In the meantime in my past 24h with the stock ak120, all I can say is that I'm very impressed thus far! Been using SE535 reds, SE846s and beyer t51p's.
I notice in Win8.1 x64 that the drivers install normally and I get DAC options up to 16/192 or 24/96 as advertised, however...should one expect to get USB -> AK120 -> headphone out / line out audio when using the 120 as DAC? ...or is it just supposed to be a USB -> COAX SPDIF DAC? Most other devices even will spit out analog (or in the meridian or ifi case analog HO and digital).
Haven't had time to hook up a SPDIF COAX converter to see if it's just piping out digital only when in USB DAC mode.
What have others experienced with the AK120? Thanks all! :)
- Astell & Kern AK120 impression thread
- › Havi B3 Pro-1 Impressions Thread 25 seconds ago
- › Hey Hi everyone would like to ask for recommendation for pop songs 36 seconds ago
- › Headphones recommendation for $220 or less 1 minute ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 2 minutes ago
- › Returned Shure se215, NEED HELP FINDING IEM! 2 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › San Jose, CA - Super Mini Meet? 6 minutes ago
- › Is there any neutral closed cans with good punchy bass? 7 minutes ago
- › Spinfit tips 8 minutes ago
- › Should I Get Custom In Ear monitors under 350 or Remold Good IEMs 8 minutes ago
- › Beyerdynamic DTX 102 iE In-Ear Headphones (Silver) by MenacingTuba
- › HiFiMAN HM-901 by Mshenay
- › Brainwavz S0 In-Ear Headphones by shotgunshane
- › AKG Q701 Premium Class Reference Headphones, Quincy Jones Signature... by Nec3
- › FiiO X1 Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by CasperBxl
- › Schiit Audio Valhalla 2 by Currawong
- › Alessandro MS1i by Mshenay
- › Sennheiser HD-598 by ringofoaksmusic
- › Cayin C5 Portable HIFI Audio Headphone Amplifier by AManAnd88Keys
- › Dunu DN-1000 by chupacabra314
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)