Please bear with me, I'm no expert on this subject, I just enjoy music and have a limited budget and want some help from you friendly people who know these things.
I've got a few issues surrounding listening to music out and about, mainly walking to and from the train station and whilst commuting on the train.
All my music these days comes through Spotify at 320Kb/s, I am using an iPhone 5 with Spotify Premium and a pair of Bose OE2i's.
Please don't slate me for these, they were given to me in a very used state and I thought it stupid to not use them!
I used to have Android phones as my Portable Media Player, I fear getting an iPhone has been a big big mistake. IOS has hardly any control of Global EQ settings (there is no banded EQ, just fairly minimal presets) and the sound output from the phone doesn't seem overly crisp when compared to other media players or even my previous Android handsets.
Rather than natter on for 5 paragraphs it's probably easier if I list my issues with what I've got at the moment and ask for advice accordingly:
- Music leaks from Bose OE2i's when volume turned up and can be heard by all around when commuting.
- Can't seem to get any level of bass from iPhone 5 with OE2i's unless volume is turned up high, even then not great.
- iPhone 5 has no customisable global EQ, EQ apps only support audio files, not apps like Spotify.
- Would prefer slightly larger cups, travel size OEMs just seem gimicky (maybe that's just me, I've got big ears)
I've looked at a couple of solutions:
- Buy a Fiio pre-amp to control the bass levels externally
- Buy a new set of cans, been suggested a few different sets but ultimately am open to new suggestions, would love some feed back (what are Sony XB500s like?)
- Get rid of the iPhone 5 and try and pay contract off early and take out a new contract on Android handset.
Ultimately I think I need a new pair of cans to get better bass response but either way I don't think I will achieve that on an iPhone with Spotify without having an amp aswell :(
Any advice welcomed, sorry for the wall of text..
TL:DR = Want better bass response, have Bose OE2i's and iPhone 5 w/Spotify.