or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Fiio X5 Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Fiio X5 Thread - Page 578

post #8656 of 19490
Quote:
Originally Posted by lswaenen View Post

Wooohoooo

Took the plunge earlier today and ordered a X5...

Gotta a couple of questions.

- Does the unit get powered over USB when I use it as a DAC ? Or does it use the battery ?
- If it get's powered, does it have any impact on battery life ?

And last but not least.
Any suggestions on a onear headset (not overear) around 100 dollars ?
That's what the budget (& wife allows)

Thanks

The Grado SR80 might be a bit over budget, but i'd say they're very much so worth it.

It charges while being used as DAC.
post #8657 of 19490
Change of subject, I'm sitting here watching the snooker final with the TV on mute and my X5 plugged into my Little Dot with my HD650's firmly placed on my head listening to some great tunes.
I can tell you the X5 sounds fantastic.
post #8658 of 19490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flomet View Post

Change of subject, I'm sitting here watching the snooker final with the TV on mute and my X5 plugged into my Little Dot with my HD650's firmly placed on my head listening to some great tunes.
I can tell you the X5 sounds fantastic.
Ditto (except with E12 and IE800) - Cannot believe how Ronnie has missed so many chances to seal the title...

Almost making me want Mark to win now, would be bad for him to claw it back as well as he has only for Ronnie to take it anyway...

To keep on-topic, yes, X5 sounds damned fine smily_headphones1.gif
post #8659 of 19490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncan View Post

Ditto (except with E12 and IE800) - Cannot believe how Ronnie has missed so many chances to seal the title...

Almost making me want Mark to win now, would be bad for him to claw it back as well as he has only for Ronnie to take it anyway...

To keep on-topic, yes, X5 sounds damned fine smily_headphones1.gif

In a way it would be nice for Mark to win as Ronnie has been there a few times.
post #8660 of 19490

What is the census on most stable firmware so far? Had 4 crashes on FW 2.0 over the past 3 days. I don't use OTG storage yet so I could get away with running any FW.

 

Seeing as how I'm not seeing many people complain about crashes on FW2.0 I'm assuming it's because i have quite a bit of .alac on there.

 

I still have the .flac files from which I converted to .alac but I rather not go through the effort to switch back.


Edited by Scorpion667 - 5/5/14 at 2:06pm
post #8661 of 19490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpion667 View Post
 

What is the census on most stable firmware so far? Had 4 crashes on FW 2.0 over the past 3 days. I don't use OTG storage yet so I could get away with running any FW.

 

Seeing as how I'm not seeing many people complain about crashes on FW2.0 I'm assuming it's because i have quite a bit of .alac on there.

 

I still have the .flac files from which I converted to .alac but I rather not go through the effort to switch back.

 

It's been interesting to see the different experiences around. All of my music is ALAC, majority being 24/88 or 24/96, & I have had it stop playing once so far in 2 weeks. I listen to it the majority of the day while at work.

 

Others have mentioned issues with holding down the volume button & it skipping tracks, but I haven't had that happen yet.

post #8662 of 19490

I have yet to have a single crash, and I used the original f/w issued with the player, the 1.23 beta and the 2.0, as well as CH23's modded f/w. I listen to FLAC at 16/44 only, and use the unit mostly during the day at work...

post #8663 of 19490

I ordered my X5 from Amazon UK yesterday, had it delivered today and it's going back to them first thing tomorrow.  Overall t's a very nice looking unit and looks well made apart from the scroll wheel, that feels very cheap.  No, what let me down was the sound, it's very clear and very detailed but through my XBA-H3's it sounds, well, 'thin' is about the best way I can describe it. Since reading a lot more on this thread I'm reading a lot of people are pairing it with an E12 to bring some bottom end back.  I thought it was a perfectly capable player  on it's own but compared to my previous device (an X1060 nothing fancy) I guess I was wrong.  Or my ears aren't ready for a true audiophile experience!.

 

Oh yes, I forgot to mention the fact that you can't use EQ with hi res files is ridiculous.  Hi res is the point of the player and the fact that some of the players functions won't work with it is just crazy.  This is something I only found out AFTER purchasing it and had I have known previously I wouldn't have bought it. I'm not in the anti-EQ camp, I do like to use it from time to time.


Edited by amf123 - 5/5/14 at 2:51pm
post #8664 of 19490
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbr1971 View Post
 

 

It's been interesting to see the different experiences around. All of my music is ALAC, majority being 24/88 or 24/96, & I have had it stop playing once so far in 2 weeks. I listen to it the majority of the day while at work.

 

Others have mentioned issues with holding down the volume button & it skipping tracks, but I haven't had that happen yet.


Interesting. I'll try re downloading/flashing FW 2.0 perhaps my download had some corruption. I've also experienced the volume skip bug.

post #8665 of 19490
Quote:
Originally Posted by amf123 View Post
 

I ordered my X5 from Amazon UK yesterday, had it delivered today and it's going back to them first thing tomorrow.  Overall t's a very nice looking unit and looks well made apart from the scroll wheel, that feels very cheap.  No, what let me down was the sound, it's very clear and very detailed but through my XBA-H3's it sounds, well, 'thin' is about the best way I can describe it. Since reading a lot more on this thread I'm reading a lot of people are pairing it with an E12 to bring some bottom end back.  I thought it was a perfectly capable player  on it's own but compared to my previous device (an X1060 nothing fancy) I guess I was wrong.  Or my ears aren't ready for a true audiophile experience!.

 

Oh yes, I forgot to mention the fact that you can't use EQ with hi res files is ridiculous.  Hi res is the point of the player and the fact that some of the players functions won't work with it is just crazy.  This is something I only found out AFTER purchasing it and had I have known previously I wouldn't have bought it. I'm not in the anti-EQ camp, I do like to use it from time to time.

The same thing happened to me, coming from a Cowon Z2+Neutron Player. The sound of the Cowon is so colored, so boosted, that the flat, normal sound of the X5 seems boring and anemic. But, if you give your brain time to adjust, you will start to find the details, the nuanced sounds, the diminishing need to heavily equalize the music.

I guess those are the pains of the rite of passage to the audiophile world. Most audiophiles, whatever that really means, like normal, balanced, unadulterated sound, and few use the equalizer for more than to tame the flaws on some frequency bands of the headphones.

Do not return the X5 until you have used it for a few days.

post #8666 of 19490

Hey folks, I hope you all don't mind a stupid question...  I apparently wasn't thinking clearly, and I ordered a FiiO L12S optical cable (http://fiio.com.cn/products/index.aspx?ID=100000018364884&MenuID=105026009) for connecting the X5 to an E17.  So, am I right in assuming I can't use an optical cable with the X5?  I'm not sure why I thought the X5 had optical and coax, but it doesn't appear as though this cable will do me any good.  Is there maybe something I'm missing?  I'm guessing I just need to stop shopping online before having a second cup of coffee.  ;)

post #8667 of 19490

Did anyone had A/B comparison between Meridian Explorer and FIIO X5? I wonder if X5 can replace ME in terms of SQ.

post #8668 of 19490

Can anyone confirm that the X5 does lose charge when used as a usb dac?  Also can the music on the device be played while charging from a usb port?

post #8669 of 19490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solude View Post
 

Can anyone confirm that the X5 does lose charge when used as a usb dac?  Also can the music on the device be played while charging from a usb port?

Don't know about the DAC mode, but when plugged in a USB port of a computer, it can only work as a DAC or in data transfer mode. However, when plugged in a USB charger, you can play music from the DAP.

post #8670 of 19490

Mine skip track when holding the volume up/down buttons when the screen is off - Lockscreen 2 - Is this how it's supposed to work?

 

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbr1971 View Post
 

Others have mentioned issues with holding down the volume button & it skipping tracks, but I haven't had that happen yet.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Fiio X5 Thread