or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › AURALiC owners unite!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

AURALiC owners unite! - Page 10

post #136 of 1861
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardilla View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT View Post
 

Audeze needs more warmth?

 

Audeze can need some extra mid warmth. It is dark, not rnecessarily warm. I really like the Audeze with WA22 and Leben CS300


LOL, we are so off topic. :D Sorry, everyone.

But to my ears they had plenty of warmth when I had them, even out of dead neutral GS-1. In fact the warmest phones I've owned, even outclassed HD650 in that regard.

But may be my definition of warm is different.

Quote:
 Warm - Good bass, adequate low frequencies, adequate fundamentals relative to harmonics. Not thin. Also excessive bass or mid bass. Also, pleasantly spacious, with adequate reverberation at low frequencies. Also see Rich, Round. Warm highs means sweet highs.

Back to AURALiC discussion. :cool:

post #137 of 1861

Not sure if lower noise level has anything to do with optimization for Audeze phones, but here it goes

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/541-auralic-taurus-mkii-balanced-headphone-amp-review/

 

Quote:
 In fact, Wang let me know that this latest version even included a few new updates to help optimize performance for headphones like the LCD-3, including modifications to the input buffer circuit to insure lower noise levels.
post #138 of 1861

I just read the review and what worries me is the conclusion in the end " The amplification it supplies is accented by firm bass, a wide stage and accuracy with very little external coloring." . Tauras MK I was said to be (in the 6moons review) "warm and dry". Here I read "little external coloring" as neutral = not warm. Maybe I read it wrong, but I want my next SS-amp to be more tubie sounding, than my more correct neutral Harmony amp.   

post #139 of 1861
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT View Post
 

Not sure if lower noise level has anything to do with optimization for Audeze phones, but here it goes

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/541-auralic-taurus-mkii-balanced-headphone-amp-review/

Quote:
 In fact, Wang let me know that this latest version even included a few new updates to help optimize performance for headphones like the LCD-3, including modifications to the input buffer circuit to insure lower noise levels.

 

 

Self noise isn't an issue with Taurus for any phone, but it might be something else. 

 

Another thing is that not all modifications are for the better - they can often be due to cost.... All I know is that mkI is really nice, and as long as info on the "upgrades" of mkII is so sparse I really don't think one should consider it an upgrade. Nor have I any reason to believe that mkII is worse. I just dont know. 

post #140 of 1861
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larryonfire View Post
 

I just read the review and what worries me is the conclusion in the end " The amplification it supplies is accented by firm bass, a wide stage and accuracy with very little external coloring." . Tauras MK I was said to be (in the 6moons review) "warm and dry". Here I read "little external coloring" as neutral = not warm. Maybe I read it wrong, but I want my next SS-amp to be more tubie sounding, than my more correct neutral Harmony amp.   

 

I wouoldn't regard the Taurus a very warmish amp. It is not bright. It is very good. But there are warmer amps, like the Violectric V200. If you want to boost the mids a bit try the tube Woo WA22 (with the warm tubes)  

post #141 of 1861
Thread Starter 
Quote:
 In fact, Wang let me know that this latest version even included a few new updates to help optimize performance for headphones like the LCD-3, including modifications to the input buffer circuit to insure lower noise levels.

 

I too have tried MKI with lots of headphones and I agree with ardilla. It has never had any issues with noise, not with any headphones, being orthodynamic, efficient or more power hungry ones. So imo that has never been an issue with MKI.

post #142 of 1861

Wow, MKII seems to be such a rare (new) beast that no one can comment on its signature.

post #143 of 1861

"I wouoldn't regard the Taurus a very warmish amp. It is not bright. It is very good. But there are warmer amps, like the Violectric V200. If you want to boost the mids a bit try the tube Woo WA22 (with the warm tubes) "

 

Thanks Ardilla, I have heard both at meetings here in Copenhagen. I actually like Burson Soloist even better with HE-500 or if I have to go all in on a tube amp, Little Dot MK VI+ was amazing. Really big bang for the buck, better than Woo WA22. Heard it with some upgraded tubes and a nice Denon CD-player+ good cables. So can´t say if WA22 would sound better than it did in same Little Dot setup, but read on this site others say that think L. Dot is really good value for money. Back to Taurus, I will just keep an eye out for more impressions until I have the money to buy a new head-amp and then make a decision.          


Edited by Larryonfire - 10/17/13 at 1:17am
post #144 of 1861
Just remember, when comparing tube amps you are often just comparing tubes. ,)

My favorite amp with HE500 is the CS300, but Taurus comes close.
post #145 of 1861

Mmmmmh, I dream of Leben CS300 at night, I believe you. But it can have some hum problems with headphones, still would be great.    

post #146 of 1861
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larryonfire View Post

Mmmmmh, I dream of Leben CS300 at night, I believe you. But it can have some hum problems with headphones, still would be great.    

Hum is no issue with Hifimans or Audeze. Mostly it seems high impedance headphones are thee only risky ones, but some even have no issues neither with them
post #147 of 1861

Does anyone actually use IEMs or CIEMs with their Taurus (either mkI or mkII)? I find that noise is not a major problem, surprising for such a powerful amp, but the gain is fairly high. Which means there is very little wiggle room for volume adjustment. 

post #148 of 1861
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by project86 View Post
 

Does anyone actually use IEMs or CIEMs with their Taurus (either mkI or mkII)? I find that noise is not a major problem, surprising for such a powerful amp, but the gain is fairly high. Which means there is very little wiggle room for volume adjustment. 

 

I've used Denon AH-D7000 (25 Ohm and 108.0 dB/mW) quite a lot with Taurus MKI and yes, there is little wiggle room as you say, but it did work great and gave no noise. Unfortunately, I have not used IEMs or CIEMs with it.

post #149 of 1861

Just had MKII delivered. It just barely warmed up, still needs a lot of burn in. But initial impression is that voicing is extremely close to Headamp GS-1 with new modules (same as used in GS-X MKII).

So it's neither warm, nor bright or dry, just right to my liking. :smile:

 

The two differences that I can spot off the bat (need more time to compare properly), is that GS-1 has more treble energy, and Taurus more power and authority down low.

As far as pairing goes, I haven't tried anything except HD-800 but IMO Taurus is a better match to it, was afraid of that "Audeze tuning", guess it was just marketing related to ability to drive planars to their heart.

 

All that SE, can only imagine what balanced configuration can bring to the table.

 

And the build quality is really exquisite, Burson nervously smokes in the corners. :biggrin: 


Edited by Andrew_WOT - 10/18/13 at 8:49pm
post #150 of 1861
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT View Post
 

Just had MKII delivered. It just barely warmed up, still needs a lot of burn in. But initial impression is that voicing is extremely close to Headamp GS-1 with new modules (same as used in GS-X MKII).

So it's neither warm, nor bright or dry, just right to my liking. :smile:

 

The two differences that I can spot off the bat (need more time to compare properly), is that GS-1 has more treble energy, and Taurus more power and authority down low.

As far as pairing goes, I haven't tried anything except HD-800 but IMO Taurus is a better match to it, was afraid of that "Audeze tuning", guess it was just marketing related to ability to drive planars to their heart.

 

All that SE, can only imagine what balanced configuration can bring to the table.

 

And the build quality is really exquisite, Burson nervously smokes in the corners. :biggrin: 

 

Good description so far - I agree. It sounds pretty generic to say "the Taurus is neutral" but damn if it ain't true.

 

The Audeze tuning seems like marketing to me. 

 

Have fun messing with balanced. To my ears, balanced is different, but not always better. IMO planars and other power hungry low impedance models do best from the SE jack, while less sensitive stuff (Audio Technica, Ultrasone) and higher impedance Sennheiser or beyerdynamic is better in balanced mode. Very nice to have both options. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › AURALiC owners unite!