Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › The Decware TABOO MK 111 Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Decware TABOO MK 111 Appreciation Thread - Page 89

post #1321 of 1868

Just placed an order last week!

I'm glad you guys like the sound of pentode and negative feedback.

post #1322 of 1868

Welcome aboard Pentode Guy!  Sorry about your wallet. :D

post #1323 of 1868

New gear day.  Lot of breaking in to do.  Will post impressions in a few days or so.  Here's pictures.  Decware from left to right, CSP3+, ZP3, and now almost half a year old, Taboo MKIII.

 

post #1324 of 1868

Just got my MKIII this morning today also.  So far so good, very happy and impressed with the quality, both build and sound.  No hum/noise issue with my HE500 at all.  With the Q701, it already brought things up a notch across the board.  I will have to let things settle down before sharing what I think about the taboo.

 

Updated : so far, lucid mode is not for me and the music genres I listen to.  Original lucid mode is subtle and interesting but the new one is pretty out there :)


Edited by koiloco - 9/6/13 at 3:15pm
post #1325 of 1868
Quote:
Originally Posted by koiloco View Post
 

Just got my MKIII this morning today also.  So far so good, very happy and impressed with the quality, both build and sound.  No hum/noise issue with my HE500 at all.  With the Q701, it already brought things up a notch across the board.  I will have to let things settle down before sharing what I think about the taboo.

 

Congrats.  Give it a few days.  Once you hit that initial break-in point, you'll be all smiles. :beerchug:

post #1326 of 1868
I wish the csp3 had the gauges like the taboo. That's being really picky though. Both look really good. Really nice setup.
post #1327 of 1868
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwindham08 View Post

I wish the csp3 had the gauges like the taboo. That's being really picky though. Both look really good. Really nice setup.

 

Thanks, and I don't think that's picky.  I wish the Taboo had VU meters.

post #1328 of 1868

Longbowbbs,  I've been considering the HD 800s.  I currently have the LCD 2.2 and the Taboo II with a Jolida CDP.  In reading many have said that the HD 800s are fatiguing, overly bright, sibilant, and other scary criticisms.  I see you have a Taboo III and a CSP  (which I've ordered but don't have yet).  I also see you use silver widows....wouldn't this make the HD 800s even brighter....I've got a set of balanced SWs ordered for my LCD 2.2 which I would like to brighten up a bit.  Please tell me your experience with the HD 800.  What tubes other than stock have you used that do well with the HD 800s?  Any encouragement would be welcome.  Mark.

post #1329 of 1868

Hi guys,

After more than 24 hours with the Taboo, I know that I am keeping amp, probably for a very long time. :D

Now, I am gearing up and start researching for different tubes to roll a bit later on.  If you have done some tube rolling on the taboo MKIII, please share your experience.  Thx.

post #1330 of 1868

Guys,

 

I really need help.  I got a huge problem with the taboo and so baffled that I couldn't think of a reason why this is happening.

I was going through my music collection one by one when I decided to put some DSD tracks on and see how fabulous it would sound from my DSD Teac 501 and the taboo.

All I got was loud static noise from both channels on top of music.  I have tried the following.

 

  1. Within the same TEAC media (DSD) player, play a regular wave file.  This = no noise, perfect sound. So interconnect is not the issue here.  I've listened the entire evening with same interconnects.
  2. Same TEAC media player, play a DSD track.  This = loud static noise again.  I disconnect RCA's output from the Taboo and plug it into my Emotiva mini-X.  This = perfect sound (still same DSD track playing).

 

Also, the noise got very loud beyond click #12 on the volume knob while not as loud at click #11, and at click #10, it's barely audible.  What the heck could be going on?

I can't think of anything and don't want to bug Steve until Monday morning.

 

Any help/advise/input would be appreciated.

post #1331 of 1868
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzgas View Post
 

Longbowbbs,  I've been considering the HD 800s.  I currently have the LCD 2.2 and the Taboo II with a Jolida CDP.  In reading many have said that the HD 800s are fatiguing, overly bright, sibilant, and other scary criticisms.  I see you have a Taboo III and a CSP  (which I've ordered but don't have yet).  I also see you use silver widows....wouldn't this make the HD 800s even brighter....I've got a set of balanced SWs ordered for my LCD 2.2 which I would like to brighten up a bit.  Please tell me your experience with the HD 800.  What tubes other than stock have you used that do well with the HD 800s?  Any encouragement would be welcome.  Mark.

 

Mark, one of the nice things about either the Silver Poison or the Silver Widows is the small amount of gold that is in the wire. It negates the general brightness that all silver seems to have and really makes the low end come out nice and clean. I have never considered the HD800's overly bright. Generally when a review suggests this, the rest of the chain is not up to the HD800's in quality. Once you get to the better amps, then the HD800's stay clean. The brightness seems to be a result of the lack of quality they are receiving.

 

I have listened to both the LCD-2's and HD800's with the Taboo MK III and I prefer the HD800's. I have used a balanced cable for both cans. I did not have SW's for the LCD 2's but I would expect nothing but improved sound from them.

 

Good luck with your choices!

 

Eric

post #1332 of 1868
Quote:
Originally Posted by koiloco View Post
 

Guys,

 

I really need help.  I got a huge problem with the taboo and so baffled that I couldn't think of a reason why this is happening.

I was going through my music collection one by one when I decided to put some DSD tracks on and see how fabulous it would sound from my DSD Teac 501 and the taboo.

All I got was loud static noise from both channels on top of music.  I have tried the following.

 

  1. Within the same TEAC media (DSD) player, play a regular wave file.  This = no noise, perfect sound. So interconnect is not the issue here.  I've listened the entire evening with same interconnects.
  2. Same TEAC media player, play a DSD track.  This = loud static noise again.  I disconnect RCA's output from the Taboo and plug it into my Emotiva mini-X.  This = perfect sound (still same DSD track playing).

 

Also, the noise got very loud beyond click #12 on the volume knob while not as loud at click #11, and at click #10, it's barely audible.  What the heck could be going on?

I can't think of anything and don't want to bug Steve until Monday morning.

 

Any help/advise/input would be appreciated.

 

This is NOT a Taboo issue. It is a DAC or DSD file issue. I am playing DSD64 and DSD128 files perfectly (and beautifully) with the Taboo via my Wyred 4 Sound DAC-2 DSDse. I would start with your DAC setting and also your DSD playback software's preferences. I had to tweek the settings in Audirvana+ before things played properly.

post #1333 of 1868
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzgas View Post
 

Longbowbbs,  I've been considering the HD 800s.  I currently have the LCD 2.2 and the Taboo II with a Jolida CDP.  In reading many have said that the HD 800s are fatiguing, overly bright, sibilant, and other scary criticisms.  I see you have a Taboo III and a CSP  (which I've ordered but don't have yet).  I also see you use silver widows....wouldn't this make the HD 800s even brighter....I've got a set of balanced SWs ordered for my LCD 2.2 which I would like to brighten up a bit.  Please tell me your experience with the HD 800.  What tubes other than stock have you used that do well with the HD 800s?  Any encouragement would be welcome.  Mark.

 

Jazz,

Just to add with what LongBow has said.

 

I have owned the lcd-2's,and the he-6's-I have to say ,that imho,the hd800's are probably ,the finest headphones I've ever owned

I can't understand ,why so many ,find them bright--I do not,not,... with the type of music I listen to ,...mostly classical,,,jazz,70's rock,,,,and lately female vocals.,some opera??

My setup is:

Taboo II > Metrum Octave II.

 

Here are the tubes I'm currently using:

 

Sophie 274B--Rectifier

Raytheon 5751 windmill getter---signal tube

JJ 6p15-ev stock tune ---Output tubes

 

There are a few other tubes that I do sometimes use ,like the Mullards,Siemens Silverplate,and recently a Mazda 12au7 Cifte.

 

Hope this helps,& good luck.,with the incoming taboo III

post #1334 of 1868
Quote:
Originally Posted by longbowbbs View Post
 

 

This is NOT a Taboo issue. It is a DAC or DSD file issue. I am playing DSD64 and DSD128 files perfectly (and beautifully) with the Taboo via my Wyred 4 Sound DAC-2 DSDse. I would start with your DAC setting and also your DSD playback software's preferences. I had to tweek the settings in Audirvana+ before things played properly.

 

Did you read my #2?  With the same DSD playback software and preference, I unplugged the RCA cable from the taboo and plugged it into my Emotiva.  Everything sounds perfect.  I've been listening to DSD file from my TEAC 501 amped by the Emotiva for awhile now so no, it's not a DAC, DSD software issue/preferences.  If it were DAC, DSD software issue, the Emotiva will have the same problem.  This is why I am so lost without any possible technical explaination.

post #1335 of 1868
Quote:
Originally Posted by koiloco View Post
 

 

Did you read my #2?  With the same DSD playback software and preference, I unplugged the RCA cable from the taboo and plugged it into my Emotiva.  Everything sounds perfect.  I've been listening to DSD file from my TEAC 501 amped by the Emotiva for awhile now so no, it's not a DAC, DSD software issue/preferences.  If it were DAC, DSD software issue, the Emotiva will have the same problem.  This is why I am so lost without any possible technical explaination.

 

Wow, that's pretty strange.  Needless to say, DSD's run just fine through my DAC-2 DSD/Taboo.  Really weird.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › The Decware TABOO MK 111 Appreciation Thread