yeah i think its software related too. i switched from wasapi push to event as some claim that fixes the issue, but some others claim the problem happens on both types of wasapi :(. and i realized i may have exaggerated how often it happens. maybe once every few hours or so of continuous listening, maybe even rarer than that. i think i didn't encounter it for 3 days then today happened once. with this kind of low occurrence it's hard to pinpoint the issue, and hard to find info on this as well as many people probably won't even notice.
my wasapi buffer is set to 1000ms which is plenty i think. also i have plenty of ram so don't think that's an issue either. most likely wasapi plugin issue, though i seem to remember it happening in spotify which plays through system sounds.