Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Cowon Players
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Cowon Players

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 

I am rather interested in cowon players, I got the money and would at least want to try a cowon player , so my question would be

does cowon player read tags? as in you can browse your music library by using the tags features? my N1 can't so I want to have a look see on one of those better than the ipod touch player, and which of the cowon do you reccomend to get? None of the android based on though I got my galaxy note 2 for my android need ( I am also curious of the infamous cowon ui)

my choices

Cowon C2

Cowon X9

or  the infamous

J3

the first two I would be getting from Jaben , the J3 prolly from the Head fi market

post #2 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrias View Post

I am rather interested in cowon players, I got the money and would at least want to try a cowon player , so my question would be

does cowon player read tags? 

 

 

I have a J3, but I never bother browsing by tags on any player. However googling "cowon J3 browse by tags" should tell you what you want to know.

 

Aside from that: BBE works really well, the J3 has huge battery life, it drives serious portable headphones as well as it does IEMS with no need for an amp, and neither friends or I have been able to tell it from a $400-$500 DAC/amp combination when blind testing with good portable phones (the HD25-1-ii.) 

 

Otoh, a Sansa Clip+ with Rockbox sounds just as good and can still drive phones like HD25s brilliantly, albeit with less battery life. You lose BBE but gain some other stuff like Rockbox's crossfeed settings and have an awful lot of money left over for buying decent iems/headphones. Unless you want the screen for watching movies, I'd strongly consider the Clip with a 32GB card and saving a lot of cash.

 

If you do get a J3 - and it is an extremely nice piece of hw - or another Cowon player, then do NOT risk using it with a phone USB lead even if has the same connector: there seems to be a voltage incompatibility problem that can damage players.


Edited by scuttle - 2/11/13 at 1:57am
post #3 of 10
Thread Starter 

The clip+ is not exactly what i want, i dont really want tiny screen and i get this headache looking at oled screen( i did try the clip + like when i was 18) , just want to see if something could offer the same stellar no just barebones ui and still have a good sound

[

post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrias View Post

The clip+ is not exactly what i want, i dont really want tiny screen and i get this headache looking at oled screen( i did try the clip + like when i was 18) , just want to see if something could offer the same stellar no just barebones ui and still have a good sound

[

 

Then, unless maybe a NOS old model Sansa Fuze would do (the new model's trackpad is widely loathed) a Cowon sounds like the way to go - they do sound absolutely as good as anything I have heard. Just stick to using a Cowon usb cable and don't borrow one from a phone!

post #5 of 10

I have the Cowon J3 (2 units) and my wife has a Cowon J3 as well....

 

No complaints and no regrets

 

Huge battery life and can power IEMs with a nominal impedance of 90 ohms with ease

 

Wizard

Dr. John Moulton

Here at Noble, we craft some of the finest universal and custom in-ear monitors available today. 

Reply
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by FullCircle View Post

I have the Cowon J3 (2 units) and my wife has a Cowon J3 as well....

 

No complaints and no regrets

 

Huge battery life and can power IEMs with a nominal impedance of 90 ohms with ease

 

Wizard

 

Don''vet have experience with any of the other Cowon players, but I love my J3 above every player I've had.

post #7 of 10

I recently sold my J3 after having it for 6 months during that period I had probably listened to it for less than 6 hrs. Personally it has a colored sound without the clarity and details I want for my music (primarily classical).

post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMinor View Post

I recently sold my J3 after having it for 6 months during that period I had probably listened to it for less than 6 hrs. Personally it has a colored sound without the clarity and details I want for my music (primarily classical).

The Cowon players can sound really nice, but it can take some tinkering with the many sound tweaks. Once you find the right mix, they're very entertaining, but it can take some work because they aren't the most intuitive in the UI department.

post #9 of 10
Thread Starter 

Ah my musical pref doesnt exactly include classics, i listen mostly to jpop, jrock pop, rock, i also listen to whatever genre two steps from hell is

post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achmedisdead View Post

The Cowon players can sound really nice, but it can take some tinkering with the many sound tweaks. Once you find the right mix, they're very entertaining, but it can take some work because they aren't the most intuitive in the UI department.

 

I guess by tinkering you meant EQ'ing. Yeah played around with those but didn't find them very usefully to my taste. The UI is fine though.

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retrias View Post

Ah my musical pref doesnt exactly include classics, i listen mostly to jpop, jrock pop, rock, i also listen to whatever genre two steps from hell is

Haha, then the J3 may be the perfect fit for you.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Cowon Players