or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread - Page 727

post #10891 of 24297
Quote:
Originally Posted by kugino View Post

Wait, you hid a $1000 headphone purchase from your wife? Shocking. wink.gif

 

 

Shhhhh… don't type so hard, she might hear you !  :p

post #10892 of 24297

Well what she doesn't know wouldn't hurt her right? I've just recently got a HD800 by shifting money from my photography gear :) I reckon getting the HD800 has a blessing in disguise. It present details and sound stage so effortlessly I'm only using half of the volume I used to have on my older headphones. I was worried about using open headphone in the office but because I only use it at low volume now it's not a problem :) also would be better for my ear in the long run. So my angle is $1000 spend now better spend that thousands more on ear doctor when I'm older :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Groucho View Post
 

 

 

Shhhhh… don't type so hard, she might hear you !  :p

post #10893 of 24297

Im currently looking at aftermarket cables for the HD800. The stock cable was nice for a year but I think its time to move on. What would you say is the best value aftermarket for the HD800s. Norne seems like the cheapest, are they good? Is spending 500$ on a cable really worth it or can I get a great value out of say a 200$ cable? Thanks

post #10894 of 24297
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkLed View Post

Im currently looking at aftermarket cables for the HD800. The stock cable was nice for a year but I think its time to move on. What would you say is the best value aftermarket for the HD800s. Norne seems like the cheapest, are they good? Is spending 500$ on a cable really worth it or can I get a great value out of say a 200$ cable? Thanks

Another cheaper option is Forza Audio Works, their cables look really nice, I've never seen one in person though.

The other option I keep hearing good things about that not as many people seem to talk about anymore, is Double Helix Cables
post #10895 of 24297

Anybody here uses toxic cables stuff? I'm thinking to get the black widow

post #10896 of 24297
I use cables (SE and balanced) from Ted Allen - Headphone Lounge - aka FBI Cables. He's on the cheaper side (starts at $150 for HD800) and does great work and he's fast! I submitted one of my orders on a Saturday, he had the cable made by the end of the day and was sent out the following Monday.

Pics here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/650510/the-new-hd800-appreciation-thread/10110#post_10490556
Edited by Maxvla - 5/26/14 at 8:36pm
post #10897 of 24297

Hey there, RAM is one of my all time favorite albums and I also bought/sold/rebought newer HD800s and now really like them. I've got the DCC Gold version also. 

(And furthermore, the headphone-habit is one of best habits you can have; no substance abuse and it can last a lifetime. Anyone around you should be proud you have such a divine healthy appreciation of the art of music reproduction.)

post #10898 of 24297
Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Groucho View Post

 

Most importantly, my wife is not yet aware that I purchased these HPs.  Having four pairs of HPs all costing $400+ most of you know & probably identify with the fact that my wife would not understand why I have four pairs & mostly why I spent so much money on headphones.  But I know I can go on a Headphone Obsession site & be understood by many.  

Thanks all of you for your much needed support. :wink: 

 

 

*

 

Nice to see I am not the only one hiding HPs purchase from my wife :wink:

That's also the reason why I have my "high-end" rig in my office and why I work beyond normal working hours so often.

 


Having a boss (this is his desk) who has a deep understanding of my HP hobby is priceless for me :wink_face:

post #10899 of 24297
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiNa.cz View Post
 

 

 

*

 

Nice to see I am not the only one hiding HPs purchase from my wife :wink:

That's also the reason why I have my "high-end" rig in my office and why I work beyond normal working hours so often.

 

How does the HD 800 pair with Master 9 ? Do you prefer the Master 9 over a tube amp for the HD 800 ?

post #10900 of 24297
Quote:
Originally Posted by punit View Post
 

 

How does the HD 800 pair with Master 9 ? Do you prefer the Master 9 over a tube amp for the HD 800 ?

 

It is Reference 10.32 with 4x PCM1704UK dac chips and it pairs very well with the HD800: full, balanced and very detailed analogue like sound. That tube amps are DIY design, they are not bad at all but I still prefer Reference 10.32 sound. I am kinda audio-gd guy :wink:

post #10901 of 24297
When I had my Reference 10.32 I really enjoyed the HD800 from it.
post #10902 of 24297
Ted Allen cables are very good ,and his prices are affordable. . Cables make a subtle change and to me not worth spending big bucks on.
Al
post #10903 of 24297
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALRAINBOW View Post

Ted Allen cables are very good ,and his prices are affordable. . Cables make a subtle change and to me not worth spending big bucks on.
Al
Yape me too. I went through several cables and very little or no difference.

Basically you pay for the look.

I like plussound's Dionysian,Apollonian or the LR series.

Poetic series look like qcables.
post #10904 of 24297
Quote:
Originally Posted by kugino View Post

Wait, you hid a $1000 headphone purchase from your wife? Shocking. wink.gif

 

That's my S.O.P. , though, for some reason I volunteered the $1100 I paid for HD800.

 

Then, last week, I received my new TH900s.  I was sure I covered all my tracks.  Two evenings later, she brings the receipt to me and asks me if I wanted to keep it (the receipt!)!

post #10905 of 24297

There you go ... you can't hide anything from your wife, so why even try;).

Get her approval if it's not too stupid (the purchase) and you'll be better off - both of you :beerchug:.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread