Head-Fi.org › Forums › Sponsor Announcements and Deals › Cavalli Audio ... Is Back
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Cavalli Audio ... Is Back - Page 2

post #16 of 72

The LAu is back on track.. Good news indeed.

 

Time to get back at it...

 

 

A few questions about the LAu...   

 

Inputs and Outputs

The LAu will have at least 3 inputs, two Balanced and one SE. The SE input will be converted internally to balanced using the TI DRV134 SE to Balanced chip. Using the TI chip prevents loss of gain typically associated with SE into a balanced amp. The possible downside is that it does put an extra chip into the signal path when in SE mode.

The LAu will have 4 outputs: 4 Pin XLR, two 3 Pin XLRs, two separate TRS jacks. This array of output jacks will make it possible to use just about any modern heaphone termination with this amp.

 

 

This is all IMO nothing more and nothing less.  Just questions..

 

Less is morebiggrin.gif  Why 3 inputs?  Why not 1 Balanced and 1 SE  Less is morebiggrin.gif

 

 

Are the 2-3 pin XLR outputs combo jacks?  If not, you can save space by having a 4 pin XLR,  and 2 combo jacks.  This will give you 2-3pin XLRs and 2-TRS (SE) all in two jacks. - Less is morebiggrin.gif

 

 

700

How Deep in Class A:  Why not pure Class A? blink.gif

 

By the way - I love the clean face plate of the LL..biggrin.gif

 

But would much prefer the power switch be on the back.  To prevent AC power runing through the amp.

 

 

 

1000

 

Edited by preproman - 2/11/13 at 10:29am
post #17 of 72

Alex can correct me but I think the one set of XLR is for a loop out - although there is plenty room on the back for 2 xlr inputs for anyone who wants the versatility. 

 

The combo jacks will not work - if running balanced 3 pin - you will have either channel + and - signal per 3 pin , to wire up a SE TRS correctly from a true differential amp you need to run L+ and R+ or L- and R-  , if you don't you will run out of phase and end up with some wonderful sound experiments. 

 

Pure Class A? Well it is running pure Class A  until you demand too much current from the output and then it crosses into Class AB. You will be hard pressed to push the LAu out of class A  - ie heavily biased into class A. 

 

All the power is in the back, if you have looked closely at Alex's designs , you will see that the power switch at the front is a DC piezo switch which triggers a standby relay that powers up the unit , the true AC toggle is at the back of the amp . 

 

I was not too excited about the  concept of this amp but now that it is taking shape, it is so very cool . 

 

..dB

post #18 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by dBel84 View Post

Alex can correct me but I think the one set of XLR is for a loop out - although there is plenty room on the back for 2 xlr inputs for anyone who wants the versatility. 

 

The combo jacks will not work - if running balanced 3 pin - you will have either channel + and - signal per 3 pin , to wire up a SE TRS correctly from a true differential amp you need to run L+ and R+ or L- and R-  , if you don't you will run out of phase and end up with some wonderful sound experiments. 

 

Pure Class A? Well it is running pure Class A  until you demand too much current from the output and then it crosses into Class AB. You will be hard pressed to push the LAu out of class A  - ie heavily biased into class A. 

 

All the power is in the back, if you have looked closely at Alex's designs , you will see that the power switch at the front is a DC piezo switch which triggers a standby relay that powers up the unit , the true AC toggle is at the back of the amp . 

 

I was not too excited about the  concept of this amp but now that it is taking shape, it is so very cool . 

 

..dB

 

 

dB

 

Are you sure the combo jacks won't work?  This is what I'm taking about below: One 4-pin XLR - (Two 3-pin XLRs with Two SE outputs)

 

  


Edited by preproman - 2/11/13 at 3:35pm
post #19 of 72

yep - the combo jacks would put a single channel output on the pins - for example:  left + ,left - , and ground. Those combo jacks are designed for cables that use dual TRS for balanced - this would work but what is the point. I personally don't see the point of dual 3 pin xlr as a single 4 pin is the perfect solution for balanced headphones. 

 

 

out of curiosity , what is the amp you posted above 

 

 

..dB


Edited by dBel84 - 2/11/13 at 5:44pm
post #20 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by dBel84 View Post

yep - the combo jacks would put a single channel output on the pins - for example:  left + ,left - , and ground. Those combo jacks are designed for cables that use dual TRS for balanced - this would work but what is the point. I personally don't see the point of dual 3 pin xlr as a single 4 pin is the perfect solution for balanced headphones. 

 

 

out of curiosity , what is the amp you posted above 

 

 

..dB

Me either, that's my point.  This is what Alex put on the site:

 

"The LAu will have 4 outputs: 4 Pin XLR, two 3 Pin XLRs, two separate TRS jacks. This array of output jacks will make it possible to use just about any modern heaphone termination with this amp."

post #21 of 72

well the reason for this is that many cable manufacturers still make dual 3 pin xlr - so an amp that is being made to be user friendly needs to address the common balanced cable options - 4 pin and 2 x 3pin. The 2 TRS jacks are not for balanced operation but enable standard SE cables to be used and the amp will power your TRS terminated headphones just perfectly. In fact both jacks will have identical power , BUT as they are SE , it will be half of that available from the balanced amp. 

 

LL

 

OK - I stand corrected - these jacks actually separate xlr and trs connections - so doable , but more complicated to make a board for easy connectivity. 


Edited by dBel84 - 2/11/13 at 6:32pm
post #22 of 72
The amp pictured is the prototype faceplate for the new GS-X v2.
post #23 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by dBel84 View Post

well the reason for this is that many cable manufacturers still make dual 3 pin xlr - so an amp that is being made to be user friendly needs to address the common balanced cable options - 4 pin and 2 x 3pin. The 2 TRS jacks are not for balanced operation but enable standard SE cables to be used and the amp will power your TRS terminated headphones just perfectly. In fact both jacks will have identical power , BUT as they are SE , it will be half of that available from the balanced amp. 

 

I understand all that.  The purpose of the combo jacks is so you can have the balanced and unbalanced output jacks in one combo jack.  This will equal to less jacks on the facplate.  

post #24 of 72

Excellent news, Alex!

 

RE: LAu

 

I'm one of the lucky individuals who had a chance to listen to the LAu prototype. Anyone looking for a tremendous solid state amp needs to definitely put it on their list to audition when it becomes more widely available.

post #25 of 72
Awesome
Edited by dcfis - 2/12/13 at 4:41pm
post #26 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuppetFace View Post

Excellent news, Alex!

RE: LAu

I'm one of the lucky individuals who had a chance to listen to the LAu prototype. Anyone looking for a tremendous solid state amp needs to definitely put it on their list to audition when it becomes more widely available.
Has Alex mentioned an estimated price point yet?
post #27 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxvla View Post


Has Alex mentioned an estimated price point yet?

I'd guess ~ 4k

post #28 of 72
Killin' me here Travis.
post #29 of 72

I'd really love to hear the LAu

post #30 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorbidToaster View Post

I'd guess ~ 4k

 

 

Are you serious?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Sponsor Announcements and Deals
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Sponsor Announcements and Deals › Cavalli Audio ... Is Back