Alright the operation is complete and the patient lives. I used the capacitors mentioned in the previous two posts.
I ordered them from mouser and it cost about $25 shipped.
The four power supply capacitors removed. as seen from the top back.
The new capacitor is on the right. It is significantly smaller in both height and diameter.
I had to bend the pins outward to get them to fit on the board but that was easy and caused no issues that I can see.
The four new power supply capacitors installed in the SRM-1/MK-2
If you look closely you can see the much larger white outlines where the old capacitors used to rest
The next step is setting the balance and offset. I'm letting the unit warm up for a couple of hours so it can be done right.
Here is what spritzer has said on the subject in the past:
There should be two pots per channel, one marked balance and the other one marked offset. To adjust them you need a multimeter set to DC volts and you insert the probes into the Stax socket. To adjust the balance you put probes between the + and - outputs for that channel and adjust for 0VDC. Now to adjust the offset remove the probe from the - output and connect it to ground (i.e. anywhere on the chassis, including the grounding post in the back) and adjust for 0VDC. Now repeat for the other channel. While you can do this with the amp cold it is best to do it when it is running at its regular operating temperature as heat is a factor here. The Stax pinout can be found all over the place.
To set the DC offset you first set the meter to 100V or more DC. Then you put the red and black probes in the+ and - sockets for each channel and adjust the balance pot for that channel (which is marked on the PCB) for 0VDC. Once that is done then you remove the black probe from the - output and connect it to ground. Now you adjust the offset pot for 0VDC as well.
Stax Pinout: (Found somewhere on Head-Fi)
Edited by spaceace1014 - 2/14/13 at 6:15pm