I'm in no way an audiophile (very clear after you read this post), but wanting a decent pair of headphones I did a bunch of research for a couple days and completely overwhelmed myself being as it was the first time I heard any kind of "in depth" audio terms. But anyways, I wasn't interested in buying anything online so I went to best buy (apparently a rookie mistake), and looked around for a while. I ended up buying the sennheiser hd428's which were on sale for 60 bucks. Now my ignorance starts. This may be cause I'm not listening to a huge variety of music, mostly classic rock and progressive rock, bands like pink floyd, jethro tull, yes, and dream theater are the big ones I'm into at the moment. But to be perfectly honest I barely notice a difference between the stock apple earbuds and the sennheiser's. The sennheiser's sound a little more clear and the bass is more distinguishable and crisp (if that even makes sense), but other than that I notice very little difference. I was wondering what other people may find as the clear differences between these headphones and the stock apple earbuds, so I know what to look for as far as differences.
- productCreative Aurvana Live! Headphonestagged by System, 1/21/13
- productJVC Victor Head-band Foldable Headphones | HA-S400-R Red (Japanese Import)tagged by System, 1/21/13
- productJVC Victor Head-band Portable Headphones | HA-S500-B Black (Japanese Import)tagged by System, 1/21/13
- productPhilips SHL5905BK/28 CitiScape Uptowntagged by System, 1/21/13
- productSennheiser HD 428 Headphonestagged by System, 1/21/13
Related Forum Threads
- Help Me Spend $80 On 'Phones :) Last post on 3/20/13 at 2:43pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Best "Budget" Headphones Last post on 3/28/13 at 2:11pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- First headphone Last post on 12/18/12 at 6:15am in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphones under $60 Last post on 11/30/12 at 1:09pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Please advise. Best new or used over the ear heaphone under $75. My finds are included. Last post on 11/20/12 at 7:24am in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 8/19/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Over-Ear)Last edited: 5/13/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 2/5/14
Have had these for 3 months after losing a pair of Pioneer HDJ 500s. Preferred the look and build quality of the Pioneers, but the Sonys look ok and fold up nicely. The HDJ 500s didn't fold, but...
I think some of the reviews above have missed the real point of the i-20 for audiophiles, it provides an excellent spdif output from an iPod. Used with an external DAC the sound is excellent and...
Thanks to slwiser, Spidermeng and Woody469 for some of the pictures used in this video.
This is the first item that dragged me into the world of audiophile, having started as noob with this great cans I must say that Shure SE215 Special Edition is cans for everybody, all things...
below is a review of of the v-moda xs! check out my channel(like and subscribe) recently uploaded a review and comparison with the v-moda m100s
Sennheiser hd428 s vs stock apple earbudspost #1 of 121/14/13 at 9:02pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 121/14/13 at 9:31pmThread Starterpost #3 of 121/14/13 at 10:19pm
Not necessarily. What is the bitrate of your mp3 files? 320kbps is a good number. If it's around 128, then GIGO- garbage in, garbage out- your new headphones won't sound much better.
Also, if you're using the new "earpods" which ship with the iPhone 5, then that might explain some of it- the new earpods are much better than the previous ibuds and give budget headphones a run for their money. Still, give the HD428 some time. A week or so if you haven't done that already. You will probably be able to distinguish the difference better that way.post #4 of 121/14/13 at 10:45pm
Apple stuff is suppose to have pretty good sound quality and are you talking about the new earpods or the old earbuds(New ones are suppose to be much better)? Anyways I had the HD 428 and there not really a headphone that jumps out of the you with there sound they have a laid back smoother sound due to the rolled off treble and leave bass politely behind the mids its there but not in the forefront its the opposite of the exciting v shaped headphone curve with boosted bass and treble these have an n shape midcentric headphone.
I wouldn't use them as main headphone but I quite liked there smooth laid back sound signature was unfatigueing and the headphone themselves are very comfortable. This is after modifying them to increase the bass though. There are holes covered up by tape you can open up to increase bass inside of the headphone the more you uncover the more bass I opened all of them be careful if you try this as a really thin wire hold connects the driver and this void your warranty altough you could probably return it to best buy for a replacement if you do break something as long as you put it back together)
I would give them some more listening time at least a week so you can get your brain used to them as well as let the headphone driver properly break in(altough I'd say its more your brain getting used to sound)before making you final judgment. If your still not happy with them then you can return them and get a new pair with a sound signature more towards you liking the S500 would probably be more what you want there pretty much the opposite of the HD 428 sound sig altough I would say keep it to have two pairs that would complement each other well but that's just me.
Edited by DJHeadshot - 1/14/13 at 10:46pmpost #5 of 121/15/13 at 8:03pmThread Starter
I'm comparing them to the old Apple earbuds. I've heard the earpods sound better but don't stay in your ears. A lot of my music has crap quality from the start but the ones I tested the two out with are all stuff that I bought directly from Itunes I'm not sure of the sound quality but I'd imagine it'd be pretty decent. I've used them probably for 6 or 7 hours and I let them run through the night one night so they have probably around 15 hours of use. I know this is a very subjective question, but what is the best pair of headphones I can get for <100? There's been threads about these JVC ones that are about 30 ish dollars that are supposed to sound incredible for their price. I'll definitley keep using the sennheiser's I just bought too though.
post #6 of 121/15/13 at 8:14pm
Well, in the first place, paying $60 for a pair of the HD428, even on sale, is a bad deal. Refurbished ones usually sell for <$30 (even a couple days ago).
JVC S500/S400 ($40-60), Creative Aurvana Live ($60), Philips Citiscape Uptown ($65) are all very good for their price. Recently these Somics have been getting a lot of attention, chinese headphones around $40-50: http://www.head-fi.org/t/637699/50mm-driver-open-air-full-size-cans-pop-out-of-nowhere-sound-amazing.
As for iTunes/iPhone, their highest bitrate is 256kbps, which isn't the best. But if you're listening from your iPhone/iPod, chances are it's compressed even more to 128kbps (go to settings to see whether you're compressing them during syncing). If so, you will notice a large drop in quality compared to, say, 320kbps or lossless (flac).post #7 of 121/15/13 at 8:31pmThread Starter
Gotcha, thanks for that information. I'm not very interested in buying headphones that were refurbished though to be honest. At least not at this point with relatively inexpensive headphones. New they were a little more expensive online, not that I looked that hard.
post #8 of 122/15/13 at 7:52pmThread Starterpost #9 of 122/15/13 at 9:11pmpost #10 of 122/15/13 at 9:26pmpost #11 of 123/24/13 at 9:26pmThread Starter
WOW, that is really something else. Sounds like a completely different headphone. That's a really awesome sound though, I thought for sure I would hate the Sub bass, 8 seems so extreme. Just to update this post then I've used these headphones a ton now so they're definitely broken in and sounding great. I notice a huge difference in sound quality from my old apple ear buds, and I bought a pair of Klipsch image s4 earbuds for the gym or whenever i need more isolation and they sound nowhere near as good as the hd428's do. Can't even imagine what a better set of headphones would sound like at this point.post #12 of 123/29/13 at 9:33pm
- Sennheiser hd428 s vs stock apple earbuds
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Over-Ear)
- › Sennheiser HD650 Appreciation Thread!! 17 seconds ago
- › = HIFIMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread (pre-orders up!) = 1 minute ago
- › is there an ak-240 vs tera? 2 minutes ago
- › Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread 2 minutes ago
- › The DX90 by iBasso . . . please post your reviews and impressions.... 2 minutes ago
- › DAP-off: Astell&Kern AK240, HiFiMAN HM-901, Sony ZX-1, FiiO X5 3 minutes ago
- › Music Game IX 4 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 5 minutes ago
- › Yulong Sabre D18 thread: reviews, impressions, discussion (full... 5 minutes ago
- › Songs that make your headphone WOOOOOW!!! 6 minutes ago
- › Sony MDR-V55/BR DJ style Headphones by Vero Golf Champ
- › Pure i20 iPod Dock by Gruffnutz
- › Astell & Kern AK240 by Currawong
- › Shure SE215 Special Edition by TherryK13
- › V-MODA XS by Tom22
- › Sony MDR-XD100 Stereo Headphones by xflight297
- › RAZER Kraken Pro Circumaural Analog Gaming Headset - Black by Bonny
- › HifiMan Electronics HM-700 DAC with RE-400b Balanced In-Ear... by lin0003
- › Astrotec AX35 by tomscy2000
- › Denon AH-D600 by derbigpr
- › Westone latest universal iem flagship was the... by majedelamine
- › How to find the Tokyo e-earphone shop by Currawong
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob