Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Frogbeats C4 Review - An Incredible First Experience in the CIEM World
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Frogbeats C4 Review - An Incredible First Experience in the CIEM World - Page 2

post #16 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by HideousPride View Post

It would perhaps be a fair comparison to make, but since I've yet to hear the J13 v. J16 myself it's a mystery I'm left to ponder. Will try to make it out to the next big show that has universal demos so I can give them a listen.

 

The C4 actually pairs poorly with the O2/ODAC. I tried it a couple times and something about the pairing makes it exhausting to listen to. I just purchased an Ultrabook, so will be looking for a mid-tier portable amp/DAC combo to pair with the C4 if it doesn't sound acceptable straight out of the box. I'm not incredibly worried about the amp/DAC pairing as the C4 sounds pleasant straight out of my current laptop, but I do think having an appropriate source can make for a significant improvement.

 

I've had a chance to listen to the C4 paired with a DX100 and thought it was an improvement over the Clip+ I'm currently using; there were subtle differences as well, but the main win was dynamics. The Clip+ is an amazing player, but the difference between soft and loud parts of passages are not as wide as I've heard from other sources. The DX100 does this significantly better, the only question being is it $700-$800+ worth better? 

 

As my Ultrabook purchase was in that price range, the current answer is "No!" as I passed on the DAP for it.

 

Glad to hear your impressions were finally accepted! Here's hoping you receive your C4s shortly. Killer avatar by the way. :) Kyuubi was quite the character. Cute little critters with venomous intentions are interesting to say the least.

Hmm, that is kind of disappointing I guess. I should be getting a new dac/amp that I "ordered" maybe this summer/spring. Well, in reality it's a DIYed combo that is made to be similar to the O2/Odac combo. Meh, I'll just take the chance and see how it turns out.  I definitely don't expect any drastic changes, but hopefully it won't turn out exhausting. I've never had an exhausting headphones so I'm not too sure what that means. Oh and thanks for the compliment. :3

post #17 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by HideousPride View Post
The C4 actually pairs poorly with the O2/ODAC.

 

 

Thanks HP for the great review, I really appreciate the time and effort you spent to share your experiences.

 

I've just ordered a set of C4s to go with my Cowon J3 and was planning to get an O2 but what you've said in the quote above concerns me.  In your experience is the J3>O2>C4 (w/o the ODAC) combination not an upgrade to the J3>C4? 

 

Cheers,

 

O.

post #18 of 24

@HideousPride

 

How does the soundstage of the C4's compare to that of the 4.Ai's?

post #19 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omphalopsychite View Post

 

 

Thanks HP for the great review, I really appreciate the time and effort you spent to share your experiences.

 

I've just ordered a set of C4s to go with my Cowon J3 and was planning to get an O2 but what you've said in the quote above concerns me.  In your experience is the J3>O2>C4 (w/o the ODAC) combination not an upgrade to the J3>C4? 

 

Cheers,

 

O.

Hi O! Thank you for the kind words. Out of the 3 sources I originally tested, the J3 was firmly in the middle. I preferred the Sansa Clip+ pairing to it, and that ended up causing me to sell my J3. The J3+C4 sounds nice as is, and is portable to boot. I would not recommend picking up an O2, as it destroys the portability and does not do much (if anything positive at all) for the sound to my ears. Of course, YMMV, but I'd recommend saving that money and putting it towards your next source if you find the sound to be lacking somehow. The hope is that they sound incredibly satisfying to your ears with your current setup, thus saving a pretty penny! 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by itshot View Post

@HideousPride

 

How does the soundstage of the C4's compare to that of the 4.Ai's?

Perhaps a bit unfair to compare as the CIEMs sit much further in your ears than the 4.Ai could hope to, but the C4 easily beats the 4.Ai's soundstage in terms of both width and depth. There are times I put the C4s on and it takes me about 20-30 seconds of playtime to adjust to the CIEM feel of soundstage and enjoy myself. It's a bit of a different experience coming from full-size headphones, but I imagine you'll be pleasantly impressed. 

post #20 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by HideousPride View Post

Hi O! Thank you for the kind words. Out of the 3 sources I originally tested, the J3 was firmly in the middle. I preferred the Sansa Clip+ pairing to it, and that ended up causing me to sell my J3. The J3+C4 sounds nice as is, and is portable to boot. I would not recommend picking up an O2, as it destroys the portability and does not do much (if anything positive at all) for the sound to my ears. Of course, YMMV, but I'd recommend saving that money and putting it towards your next source if you find the sound to be lacking somehow. The hope is that they sound incredibly satisfying to your ears with your current setup, thus saving a pretty penny!

 

Thank you HP for your very informative and useful reply. I really appreciate you taking the time to share your experience.

 

 I'll hold off on an amp. I've been researching higher quality sources but the field seems pretty limited. The DX100 looks like a possibility,  but from what I've read other DAP's seem to have some shortcoming: e.g. Tera - no display, Colorfly C4 - ugly; Hifiman - 'dark' sound, etc.  Hopefully in the months to come others will share their experiences with the C4 and things will become a bit clearer.

 

Thanks again!

 

Cheers,

 

O.

post #21 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omphalopsychite View Post

 I'll hold off on an amp. I've been researching higher quality sources but the field seems pretty limited. The DX100 looks like a possibility,  but from what I've read other DAP's seem to have some shortcoming: e.g. Tera - no display, Colorfly C4 - ugly; Hifiman - 'dark' sound, etc.  Hopefully in the months to come others will share their experiences with the C4 and things will become a bit clearer.

 

I have the RWAK100 with me and it is the DAP with the least amount of compromise but with a SQ able to compete with the other great portable rigs out there.

 

I have just mailed out my ear impression to FB this morning via EMS. The C4 may take another 5-6 weeks to reach me. Then, I may be able to say something about their pairing (hopefully).


Edited by uelover - 1/12/13 at 3:14am
post #22 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by uelover View Post

 

I have the RWAK100 with me and it is the DAP with the least amount of compromise but with a SQ able to compete with the other great portable rigs out there.

 

I have just mailed out my ear impression to FB this morning via EMS. The C4 may take another 5-6 weeks to reach me. Then, I may be able to say something about their pairing (hopefully).


Thanks uelover, I'll look forward to your report. 

 

I'm getting C4's too, my ear impressions went out Friday afternoon via DHL.  I'm just south of you in Australia, we can have a race.smile.gif

post #23 of 24
Thread Starter 

Update on the C4 + My Recommendation for an Incredible Audiologist

Sending the C4 back to Frogbeats for a minor fix. Listening to a new album that pans hard to both sides at different times during the song, it became apparent that the sound is slightly muffled in the left ear as opposed to the right. I had previously attributed this to a difference in my hearing levels of the left and right ear. This made me curious and I ran a few testing tests and compared my experience with full-sized headphones. Turns out my hearing is fine and about equal in both ears. It’s a minute thing and the C4s are still a joy to listen to, but it would nag at me in the back of my mind to no end if I didn’t strive for perfection. After talking it over with Frogbeats, I went back to the audiologist I previously was fitted at.

I was extremely surprised and delighted at the exceptional level of customer service I found there. The audiologist actually remembered me from last time (Frogbeats was a company she had never worked on impressions for) and was genuinely concerned about my satisfaction. I thought I’d go in and she’d make new impressions for me and that’d be the end of it, but no! She used a tool to listen to both ears individually to test for perceivable differences in sound levels, checked and swapped cable connectors to see if one side was faulty, and made sure the fit was secure and not faulty in any way.

The left side was the trouble spot, so she ended up making an impression of that ear first. It looks like we found the culprit! The angle of the cut and the vent locations look a bit off, so perhaps this is what is causing the slight difference in sound.

And after such incredible service, she refused to charge me anything, saying the only thanks I owed her was to report back to her on how my C4s sound after the reshell. I was just WOWed.

I cannot recommend Rebecca enough! Here’s the website: http://www.aahttx.com/

If you live near the Dallas area and are ever in need of an audiologist, I would look no further.

I also picked up the neat little audiologist tool from her at a very reasonable price. Thought it’d be neat to give both drivers an A/B test myself, and in this way it actually allows other people to listen to your CIEMs!

P.S. She was quite impressed with the C4s. She commented that they sounded great, and actually asked me how much I paid for them. etysmile.gif


Edited by HideousPride - 1/17/13 at 4:07pm
post #24 of 24

Did you get your initial impressions back from the fit adjustment? I just got my monitors back from Frogbeats, and it looks as if my impressions were never used to improve the fit. My raw impressions were included as they were without the processing that I see in many other custom production videos. Furthermore, they feel the same as day one when I sent them in.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Frogbeats C4 Review - An Incredible First Experience in the CIEM World