Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › New computer set up. No sound (asus xonar essence stx)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New computer set up. No sound (asus xonar essence stx)

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 
I got a new set up with speakers and receiver and am trying to hook them up to my computer. So far there is no sound.

So first off hers the specs:

I have an asus Xonar essence stx sound Card. and a yamaha RX-v373 5.1 receiver.

I have 2 speakers and a sub which are all connected to the receiver. The sound card is connected to the receiver via a digital optical cable.

Prior to the speakers, I was listening on headphones and those are working fine. So what am i doing wrong? help please

Update: Upon setting computer sound to S?PDIF Pass-Through Device instead of Speakers it works. However I have to keep PCM on under Xonar Audio Center and none of the other settings work in Audio Center. The Audio Center itself doesnt recognize any sound going through. I can only change the volume in the audio center. I cant change it to 2-4-6-or 8 channels. I cannot change the khz. WHen I switch the analog out to 2 speakers or headphones it will always play as long as I have PCM checked off. As well if I plug in my headphones to either my sound card or the reciever it shuts off the speakers automatically. And the headphones play at a reduced quality and play even if I change analog out to headphone or 2 speaker. Again though I need PCM checked up to get any sound.

Upon switching back to Speakers in audio settings the headphones work fine. However I cant get the speakers to work...hmmmm
Edited by jdlutz89 - 12/1/12 at 5:57pm

Gear mentioned in this thread:

post #2 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdlutz89 View Post

I got a new set up with speakers and receiver and am trying to hook them up to my computer. So far there is no sound.
So first off hers the specs:
I have an asus Xonar essence stx sound Card. and a yamaha RX-v373 5.1 receiver.
I have 2 speakers and a sub which are all connected to the receiver. The sound card is connected to the receiver via a digital optical cable.
Prior to the speakers, I was listening on headphones and those are working fine. So what am i doing wrong? help please

Did you disable the on-board audio, in the bios?

Did you connect the optical cable to the STX's optical connection or the motherboard's optical connection.

In the Windows control panel, in the "sound" section, in the playback tab, you did leave it on "Speaker" Asus Audio device?

In the Asus Xonar Control panel, did you enable S/PDIF Out ?

If you set S/PDIF to PCM, you get two channel (uncompressed) digital audio, if set for DDL (Dolby Digital Live) for up to 6-channel of compressed audio.

The PCM setting is fine for 2.0 or 2.1 Yamaha speaker setup.

 

Did you go into the Yamaha's setup, make sure the optical input port you plugged into is properly enable?

post #3 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Did you disable the on-board audio, in the bios?
Did you connect the optical cable to the STX's optical connection or the motherboard's optical connection.
In the Windows control panel, in the "sound" section, in the playback tab, you did leave it on "Speaker" Asus Audio device?
In the Asus Xonar Control panel, did you enable S/PDIF Out ?
If you set S/PDIF to PCM, you get two channel (uncompressed) digital audio, if set for DDL (Dolby Digital Live) for up to 6-channel of compressed audio.
The PCM setting is fine for 2.0 or 2.1 Yamaha speaker setup.

Did you go into the Yamaha's setup, make sure the optical input port you plugged into is properly enable?

Yes I disabled on board audio
I connected the opitical to STX and reciever
It is currently on S/PDIF Asus Audio Device in "Sound" Section, in the playback tab
Where in the Asus Xonar Control panel do you enable S/PDIF out?
Yes the Yamaha setup is correct.

The problem I have now is that the speakers seem to be bypassing the soundcard completly. The Xonar audio center does not recognize that the speakers are working. Im new to good speakers so I cant really tell if they are not playing at max quality but when I plug in my headphones they for sure are playing at a diminished quality. I cannot change the khz or audio channel or control the speakers at all through the Xonar Audio Center. The headphones only work correctly when I change the defaul to speakers under sound/playback, and then the speakers and reciever as a whole doesnt seem to work (when under sound/playback/speakers as default the headphones only work when connected directly to the soundcard. When connected to the reciever they dont work at all and neither do the speakers themselves). The speakers only work when I set up my sound/playback/S/PDIF as default and put PCM on Xonar Audio Center.

So the problem is that I cannot use both my headphones and speakers unless I change around a bunch of settings for each use of either headphone or speaker. I can use the headphones when I set up sound/playback/S/PDIF however the sound is greatly diminished..and just like the speakers I cannot control them in Xonar Audio Center at all while under S/PDIF. I can control them under sound/playback/speaker however the speakers themselves do not work under this setting. As well I cannot control the speakers via Xonar Audio Center at all...unless im checking PCM which I have to do in order to get the speakers to work at all.

An exp of Xonar Audio Center not recognizing the speakers would be when I do the sound test I receive no audio from either speaker. However upon playing anything normal..music..movies..etc.. the speakers seem to work. However, if the speakers are being used at a diminished quality just like the headphone seems to be when under sound/playback/s/pdif I would really like to get this fixed.
Edited by jdlutz89 - 12/1/12 at 7:33pm
post #4 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdlutz89 View Post


Yes I disabled on board audio
I connected the opitical to STX and reciever
It is currently on S/PDIF Asus Audio Device in "Sound" Section, in the playback tab
Where in the Asus Xonar Control panel do you enable S/PDIF out?
Yes the Yamaha setup is correct.
The problem I have now is that the speakers seem to be bypassing the soundcard completly. The Xonar audio center does not recognize that the speakers are working. I'm new to good speakers so I cant really tell if they are not playing at max quality but when I plug in my headphones they for sure are playing at a diminished quality. I cannot change the khz or audio channel or control the speakers at all through the Xonar Audio Center. The headphones only work correctly when I change the defaul to speakers under sound/playback, and then the speakers and reciever as a whole doesnt seem to work (when under sound/playback/speakers as default the headphones only work when connected directly to the soundcard. When connected to the receiver they don't work at all and neither do the speakers themselves). The speakers only work when I set up my sound/playback/S/PDIF as default and put PCM on Xonar Audio Center.
So the problem is that I cannot use both my headphones and speakers unless I change around a bunch of settings for each use of either headphone or speaker. And I cannot control the speakers via Xonar Audio Center at all...unless im checking PCM which I have to do in order to get the speakers to work at all

In the Playback tab, leave it on "Speakers Asus Xonar Essence STX", no need to change it, ever.

No need to put it on "S/PDIF Pass thru device", as it bypass the STX control panel.

 

In the Xonar control panel, uncheck the S/PDIF Out, then you can change other setting.

 

Audio Channel, 2-channel for music, 6-channel for movie and gaming surround sound

Sample Rate, 48Khz.

Analog Out, Headphone

Now enable S/PDIF Out, set it for PCM (for 2-channel to receiver).

 

Hopefully the receiver's speakers will work and the headphones (plugged into the receiver).

post #5 of 11
Thread Starter 
My problem is that when playback is set to speakers the speakers dont seem to work...(the only thing getting any sound is a videogame I play where I can manually choose what device to play from). However the audio test in xonar control panel as well as anything that I tried to play off the computer is silent. I tried on all 4 analog out settings.

For some reason there seems to be a gap between reciever to sound card to computer. It might be something with my reciever..I tryed changing around my input but didnt seem to work

At least I know its not a hardware problem since everything works (except not correctly). Bassicly the speakers only work when bypassing the soundcard..however (if im not mistaken) this reduces the quality of the sound since its not using the soundcard at all.

(thx for all the help btw)

EDIT: I think I know why its not working..if I check under Speaker properties under playback it shows the jack info as an RCA R Red L White. However I am using a digital opitical connection. Could this be the problem? and if so can I change the speakers to recognize a different Jack?
Edited by jdlutz89 - 12/1/12 at 8:16pm
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdlutz89 View Post

My problem is that when playback is set to speakers the speakers don't seem to work...(the only thing getting any sound is a video game I play where I can manually choose what device to play from). However the audio test in Xonar control panel as well as anything that I tried to play off the computer is silent. I tried on all 4 analog out settings.
For some reason there seems to be a gap between receiver to sound card to computer. It might be something with my receiver..I tried changing around my input but didn't seem to work
At least I know its not a hardware problem since everything works (except not correctly). Basicly the speakers only work when bypassing the sound card..however (if I'm not mistaken) this reduces the quality of the sound since its not using the soundc ard at all.
(thx for all the help btw)

Go to the website Brainbit and down load and install the "Unified Xonar Drivers", if there is a weird software problem, the Brainbit.

 

Then, in the Asus control panel, make sure everything is set to 2-channel and try setting Analog Out to "Speakers".

post #7 of 11
Thread Starter 
ill try this but I think you might have missed my edit post: just in case ima repost it
Quote:
EDIT: I think I know why its not working..if I check under Speaker properties under playback it shows the jack info as an RCA R Red L White. However I am using a digital opitical connection. Could this be the problem? and if so can I change the speakers to recognize a different Jack?
post #8 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Go to the website Brainbit and down load and install the "Unified Xonar Drivers", if there is a weird software problem, the Brainbit.

Then, in the Asus control panel, make sure everything is set to 2-channel and try setting Analog Out to "Speakers".

This fixed it..Seriously man your a godsend. I mess around Head-Fi a bit looking at other peoples problems and you always seem to be giving a helping hand. Id +rep you 100 if I could. Thanks a TON! biggrin.gif
post #9 of 11
Thread Starter 
may I ask though. Why put the sample rate to only 44. I thought the higher meant better quality audio? (As you can tell im new to audiophile). (Also with this driver my headphones and speakers only play at 96 KHz max now. the 192 there is no sound. Should I care about this? my headphones with my old driver could play at 192)

Also what does GX do/mean?
Edited by jdlutz89 - 12/1/12 at 8:59pm
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdlutz89 View Post

may I ask though. Why put the sample rate to only 44. I thought the higher meant better quality audio? (As you can tell im new to audiophile). (Also with this driver my headphones and speakers only play at 96 KHz max now. the 192 there is no sound. Should I care about this? my headphones with my old driver could play at 192)
Also what does GX do/mean?

48Khz is the max for compressed audio thru the optical.

But as your just using 2-channel PCM, I'm guessing 96Khz should be fine, in Asus control panel.

Also Go to windows control panel, then sound, go to playback tab, click the default "Speaker" just to high light and then click on properties, go to advance tab, set for "2-channel, 24-bit, 96Khz".

post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdlutz89 View Post

ill try this but I think you might have missed my edit post: just in case ima repost it

I can not find this setting where you say it is.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Computer Audio

Gear mentioned in this thread:

Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › New computer set up. No sound (asus xonar essence stx)